Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: This isn't good
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: the_feast_by_danilowww-d95htqf.jpg]

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I always wanted to find a forum that help illustrators like this.

About the imagem, Overall, I'm happy with the result, but I always feel that is far from be finished.
I also have an huge difficulty in getting to understand how to make the illustration look more realistic picture. Even using references. How can i remedy this?

Thank you very much.
Before going into this, let me just say, I super dig the swamp thing figure at the back! And I like your forest rendering. And I think you nailed the atmospheric perspective.

Here's the unpleasant part.

1. Light source. To me, it seems inconsistent. There's a primary light source at the back. Another at the upper right hand side. I think there's another that's shedding light at the intestine.

2. The shadows are too dark (?) I read there's a rule saying that one must avoid overdoing shadows, like sliding the colors too near the blacks. But then again, Frank Frazzetta gets away with this, so not much of a big deal if you can pull it off like he does.

Hope to see more from you!
I agree with john, it's your lighting, the piece overall is great. Perhaps you can try to make 1 lightsource.
Thank you John and BrushNoir for your reply. Now i can see the light issues. I've tried to put just one light source now and let just the ambient light for the rest.

And in some shadows of the woman, i've tried to up the values away from black, think i will do this with the forest too.
I think it's a little better now, but i will work on it with more time after work today.

Thanks Again!
Lighting is still inconsistent. Why is the light source only affecting the woman and the corpse? The ground, trees etc. don't seem to be affected at all, which is why the chracters look pasted on. You should do some painting from life to get a better feeling for how light interacts with form.
(03-11-2016, 07:42 AM)ReneAigner Wrote: [ -> ]Lighting is still inconsistent. Why is the light source only affecting the woman and the corpse? The ground, trees etc. don't seem to be affected at all, which is why the chracters look pasted on. You should do some painting from life to get a better feeling for how light interacts with form.

Thank you ReneAigner, it's what i will do , starting today! And then i will get back into this and work with lights again!

Thanks!