Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: smrr's CC 2 |
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
'Sup!

I've chosen HENRY THE CROW to be my muse for this challenge.
CC2 seems to be more focused on creating a killer keyframe illustration, as opposed to designing a fully realised new character design, in most ways.

So last time I failed on nailing the mood and feel of the IP, so this time 'round - I'm gonna make bloody sure I nail the look and feel of Bloodborne!

I plan to do a lot of studies this time around and start a lot earlier that last time as well.

On my to do list - some more pencil studies to build visual library of Bloodborne weaps/beasts, architecture (I seem to retain more design information by doing pencil renderings, also, changing things up really changes the way you think... up)

*Mood studies x style tests
*Possible material studies
*Nail a comp by the end of the week

Beastmode/claw study:
[attachment=83644]
Eileen the Crow study
[attachment=83645]
applying - thinking about comps and narrative
[attachment=83646]

Let's get it Dagz o/
hey smrr very nice pencil work, yea Im with you starting from pencil, just feels more free flowing, great start....
Ok I'm breaking my wip silence. Goddamit, those are great, you better translate all that good shit into the final, is all I'm gonna say. Peace! :)
Awesome stuff smrr! already liking the application.
have you played bloodborne by any chance?
niiiice! I should do some of these too!
Those pencil strokes on the Eileen the crow study are beautiful. It would be cool to see the final done in pencil too; I think that could be awesome!
Sick sketches and studies, keep it up, I wanna see those characters in action.
Awesome, you're so good at pencil sketching!! Do you have some fully rendered pencil stuff? Would be great to have a look! Haven't read the story on the story on the last sketch, it's a bit hard to read, hope to see it (or other story) translated into your keyframe illustration!
That are some really nice sketches and sketchy strokes. Can't wait to see more :)
Sick... You have some nice traditional skills!
Your linequality is very, very good. If you ever happen to feel like doing a full-blown traditional illustration I'd love to see that.
Holy actual flying gazelle o_o! Thank you all for popping in  Sun Sun 4e5dd44a 

Lodratio - Thanks, Lod <3 haha I'd never thought about it actually! maybe I should consider it

BrushNoir - You're sick! cheers, Noir!

Eyliana - Cheers, Eyliana o/ ! too kind!

neopatogen - Too kind neo! Thank you! Sadly, I don't (yet at least), I've been more focused on building my first portfolio this year :( oh yeah, they're just notes I jotted down from a couple vids n_n defs will be translated into the final o/

crackedskull - thanks kindly cracked <3 you will soon enough!

Berebobe - Haha too bad I'm too much of a pussssssyyyy  Silent perhaps for one of these Crucibles ;) thank you, Berebobe!

Jan Kloidt - You shooooooould bro hnnng <3 owait, no no, nvm, you're already kicking multiple butts with your digital studies >:o 
Triggerpigking - Thank ya Trigger :) I sure haven't (but after all the Let's Plays and vids I've seen... I want. To play it. SO BADLY. MY EYES ARE GONNA POP OUT! DDD: !!! )

Amit Dutta - Amit! You're too kind! Cheers man o/ yeah, I'll make sure of it, the crits I got from CC1 have been burned into my brain... I'll be traumatised if I make the same mistakes twice... to say the least

slash razor - Hey thanks slash <3! Exaaaactly! Pencils are the best, I'm glad you share the same sentiments <:

Honestly haven't been fully committing all of my time to CC2, but at the same time - I have? More passive thinking about the challenge than anything and writing notes (not shown). Still roughing out an idea/compo I'm happy with in my head, these studies are both just getting ideas on paper as well as things I need to study (e.g. mood studies, muscles in the face. Side note: actually, it's funny, in all my years of studying art, I never considered really studying the muscles in the face lmao. I didn't think it was necessary... *facepalms* I can be real daft sometimes, I swear)

Still need to finalise a comp/idea.
Hmm.
Oh and do some style tests tbh.
Indeed, hmm.

Some more design studies (yeah the persp is off with the architecture study, but bleh), anatomy studies too - you'll see some weird-ass study of a yoga (bakasana/crow) pose - it was an idea I was toying with. When I work on compos, I'll consider it or scrap it. 
[attachment=83892]
[attachment=83893]
[attachment=83894]
applying said pose from above to a sketch (unfinished, ofc lel)
[attachment=83895]
and some mood studies
[attachment=83896]

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
I like this. Your faces are getting better and better!
Adam - thanks bumhead :D

I haven't been updating my wip thread because well, I've been failing a LOT. I had a previous design (and thumbnails on my phone, but due to my bro upgrading my phone I lost all those anyway lol) but I scrapped the shit outta it because I realised I was over complicating it!! 
Like forreal.

So anyway, here's a roooooough wip :D 
[attachment=84247]
and some of the comps that got me here
[attachment=84246]
I set a deadline to finish design lines by 3pm then really get into it ;)

I'm really excited and nervous, as usual

Let's go hard <3
Bumhead? Words hurt ya know? ooooo fancy perspective.
Adam - HAHA says the racist :D jks ily man -- yasss perspective

update yo

giving myself mini deadlines to get this done y'know!?
rough lines complete by 1500? check.
[attachment=84263]
lookin good! keep working, you got this :)
Wow, this looks dynamic, awesome job! Somehow I missed all the sketches and studies you did too. Love those traditional sketches. You've definitely put a lot of time into this one.
Dynamic indeed, finish it :D
Cheers guys <3 <3 <3!

Hey, so, I underestimated my family yesterday on my bday... they did in fact drag me out of the house. Soooooo I didn't manage to finish it. However, when I got home, I looked at it and changed a bunch of things lel. Just as well I do still have a day to focus in and get to it to fix this mess I've made.

I'm disappointed in my process -- not as much as the last -- but, still, disappointed. Because if I actually knew what I was seeking, well we wouldn't be having this conversation, 'cause I'd be finished with this challenge haha. I blame this on lack of study/experimentation prior to CC2 :l

Alrighty, let's try to fix this mess before having to stay up 'til dastardly hours >_> (never again lmao)

[attachment=84484]
(yeah it's really dark atm, will fix)
Pages: 1 2