Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Caution: BRUSH ABUSE!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello everyone!

After 7 months of painting in a cave I finally decided to post my stuff. My work has some flaws and is not on a level I'd be satisfied with, but at least it's not as bad as to make me feel embarassed.

I'm constantly struggling to get better and to achieve my goals (which are secret at the moment). I won't hide a fact that I aim high, very high, my dreams are a great source of motivation but I still have to fight the lazyness and procrastination. I am very thankful for Crimson Daggers, this community helps me to push harder - seeing as Dave, Dan and all others put so much effort in trying to get better ignites my fire and is a giant boost for my desire to reach my goals.

Be welcome to visit my blog: http://www.piotr-jasielski.blogspot.com/

Here are some of my illustrations. Crits and suggestions are appreciated, so don't hasitate to voice your opinion.

Please tell me if my images are visible for You. It seems some users couldn't see images I posted previously on this forum. As soon as I know everything is ok, I'll post more stuff.

Tooth

Hey PJ.

The pics work fine, only people who can't see pics are unregistered users.

My fave here is the mysterious green piece at the bottom, it's got a nice watercolour feel, and I like the space and softness.

Keep practicing real world studies, photos, life and stuff.
Thanks for the kind words, Alex. :]

Here are some more images:
More to come soon.
Some more quick studies.

I'm learning how to use custom brushes. Till recently I used basic round hard or soft bruch like 95% of the time and I'm not used to paint with all those stange ones. Need to use them though, makes it way faster and easier to imply some details.
A environmental speedpainting I created today. Took me 40 minutes. I'm still a little confused by all these custom brushes in photoshop. Till recently I painted only in gimp using basic round (mainly soft) brush like 95% of the time. I downloaded 30 day photoshop CS3 trial and some custom brushes of known artists. Now I test them and sweep out those I'm not comfortable with to keep it as basic as I can.

PJ

Just my 2c - custom brushes are shortcuts to methods that you should learn longhand first
Thank You for advice, Lake. I am, however, aware of that fact. I'd just like to ask You, do You imply that there are flaws in my work, that need correction? If so, please do not hesitate to point them out. I always appreciate advice.
My Tex Mechs so far.

My bloodsports entry. Took way too long. I have to work on my speed and planning.

[Image: texmechssmall.jpg]

And a higher resolution version under spoiler:
A wip of an environment I'm currently painting. Crits are appreciated.

[Image: cavesmall.jpg]

Another WIP
[Image: envlrsmall.jpg]
Another wip. Not sure which version should i go with yet. Advise appreciated.

[Image: turtlebeastwipsmall.jpg]
I'd go with the one on the right, the lighting is better and makes the creature feel as though it's part of the environment, rather than something just drawn onto a background.
I wasn't really willing to continue posting in this thread, but I recently started to focus on speed and I figured it may be motivating to have a rutine of posting work everyday (or almost). So I hope it will help me to work faster and not procrastinate.

I spend too much time on my paintings and it seems I could use it way batter because I simply tend to drown in thoughts while on it, thinking wheather to make a brush stroke here or there, do this or that...

I probably won't post all of my work, especially pencils, since it's troublesome to make all those photos and upload then only to realize nobody cares.

So, here is my latest piece - concept art. Done in less than 2 hours, finished few minutes ago. Feel free to critique.

It looks nice but if you get a chance can you upload a slightly larger version so the details would be easier to see. Thank you.. an your sketchbook is coming alone nicely
Thanks M-rahsart for the coment.

I actually did it in a pretty small canvas. I might rescale it later though.

Another one started after my previous post. Done in between prepering a meal (my comp crushed 2 times on top of that >_<), so I don't know how much it took me. Pretty sketchy but I might refine it though soon.

Oh wow, nice enviros man :)
Thanks Ursula :)
Another one. Very sketchy, I managed to make it within 30 minutes. Although this would nee more refinement probably.

Wow I really love your use of light and colour in your environments! I also so your old art from 2011 and your new in 2012 the improvement was SOOOO huge, greatly inspiring! I'd like to see more of your sketchy stuff in here, instead of not posting at all, keep it up!
Thanks for the kind words, Jon :)

Here, under the spoiler so it wouldn't take too much space ( that thing seriously irritates me when I visit other sketchbooks >_<), are 3 doodles. Each took around 20-40 minutes.

Pages: 1 2 3