Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Pattison's Sketchbook
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(12-21-2016, 10:47 PM)John Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I think I saw something similar on James Gurney's blog about a book called Drawing like a Mathematician (or something similar)?

Haven't heard about that. What's it say?

Quote:The value sketching article was handy in today's study. But it'll be more effective for a longer piece e.g an original illustration or a ten hour study.

Glad it helped. It's a great timesaver!

It might be this? : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/048622...DGSUC7MK3B

I do remember a diagram of construction similar to Dorien Iten's process, it must be buried somewhere on the Gurney Journey.
Nice studies so far. I'm wondering what your really quick studies would look like (if you limited your time per drawing). Not that spending a lot of hours on one image is a bad thing, but the change of pace might help in the case you start zoning out or zoning into detail too early. Cheers.
(12-22-2016, 09:17 AM)Hozure Wrote: [ -> ]Nice studies so far. I'm wondering what your really quick studies would look like (if you limited your time per drawing). Not that spending a lot of hours on one image is a bad thing, but the change of pace might help in the case you start zoning out or zoning into detail too early. Cheers.

Thanks Hozure, I spend three hours per piece. To mix things up I've spent three hours doing half of a study and today I will finish it off (within another three). Would you recommend doing a series of shorter studies? e.g a bunch of figures each 20 mins on a page.
Yesterday and today's progress on the study, I'll finish off the hair and add stripes to the shirt tomorrow. I've decided to avoid using the dry/chalky photoshop brushes because my previous studies are quite blurry. 

I learnt to use the hard round brush and vary its size to achieve different effects e.g I use it at a smaller size to do hard edges and at a larger size I use it to lightly shade areas.
Oil and acrylic studies from this year.
Today's study, I feel comfortable doing studies but when it comes to making something original I have a tough time. Tomorrow I will do some sketching to create a strong foundation for a more polished piece. I will also do some still life studies to help learn lighting.
Some practice from the past week, I bought Mike Azevedo's tutorial on colour and its helped a ton.
Pages: 1 2