Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: CC5 | Tien Chi WIP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone!  

I am a bit late to this challenge but I have been very busy with work and life you know ;)  I did not want to commit until I was sure I had enough time to complete the challenge.  I mean a week is not much time but I will do my best.  I started off gathering some reference images of existing structure with interesting alien like shapes.  

In addition I found a link with some helpful reference images for anyone whose still looking :)
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/  

[Image: ref3.jpg]
[Image: ref2.jpg]
[Image: ref1.jpg]

Early on the week I did some thumbnail sketches with pen exploring the idea and composition
[Image: cc5_sketchexplore.jpg]

I did outdoor life studies over the weekend prior to the launch of this thread.  The study was mainly aim towards life and how it feels to have infrastructure and housing.

[Image: cc5_lifestudy2.jpg]
[Image: cc5_lifestudy1.jpg]
Hi there, 

Shape exploring
[Image: cc5_exploration.jpg]
Comp Sketching
[Image: cc5_thumbnails.jpg]

For tonight I took 3 comps and trying to build a narrative around the big shapes.  I think I am getting closer to something I like we'll just have to see what happens next which will probaly

[Image: cc5_bwsketches.jpg]
Your workflow is good, if a little random in nature. No clear sense of specific patterns being used to inform the design, but I like the comps, they are strong with some interesting shape language in there. As you develop perhaps bring this idea of a unified cultural shape language to it. Carry on!
@Amit - Thanks for the suggestion, it was very helpful :)

For this update I continue my research and study.  I decide my scene will be in a high location.  I start by looking for several high places and the Himalayas is a place I found most interesting including the high peaks, cliff structures and a very rich culture.

I did some studies of the Tibet culture trying to understand their pattern and shape language in their costume and architecture.   I extracted some of the pattern from the studies and made some of my own. 

[Image: cc5_cultstudy1.jpg][Image: cc5_cultstudy2.jpg][Image: cc5_cultstudy3.jpg][Image: cc5_patternexplor.jpg]
[Image: cc5_shape%2526design.jpg]

I do plan on including a launch/landing platform for starships and transporters.  
I hope to include the first pass of the final image before deadline, thanks for viewing!
Very cool stuff, I like how you have thought through and developed this, so keep it going! The deadline has been extended so you have more time. Please finish it off!
Oh how sweet life is... extended deadline, Woo! Woo!

I doodle around some more exploring possible changes in composition not sure what I want yet.  Studying some more of real life design and explore some of my own as well.  
[Image: cc5_sketchnotes.jpg][Image: cc5_aliendesign.jpg][Image: cc5_compxplore.jpg]
I ended up going with one of the original comps I had earlier and explore that some more.  This challenge has been so much fun, I will see you all at the finals.