Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: last-minute entry for CC5
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Let's see...
in terms of subject matter I was thinking that doing something a little more organic, rather than relying on super sterile industrial design would be cool. The aliens buildings might be bioengeneered or built into and around the natural landscape, and the dominant pattern could be a spiraling vine shape. That way it would fit all three criteria. You'd have organic shapes as the infrastructure with housing integrated into it, and a launch platform as a central vocal point.
Also, I've decided to heed the advice I got for CC3 and attempt to make a finished illustration in a traditional medium. I was thinking about working over a pencilsketch with gouache and/or watercolors, but maybe doing something with colored pencils could work as well.
[attachment=88760]
[attachment=88761]
More sketching!
For now I've mostly been trying to get the whole nature-technology synergy idea to read. Excuse the terrible scan quality of the first page. I'm going to need to speed things up a bit, but I have a lot of time tomorrow so I think I might just be able to work out the major flaws that the current sketches have and make a finished illustration (that actually conforms with the pitch, hopefully Tongue ) until the deadline.

[attachment=88848]
[attachment=88849]
Lots of interesting ideas! But I can't get the purpose of the finger and the hand :)
Thanks Neo. There's no particular reason for the thumb... I just get distracted sometimes.

Started out by experimenting with different vine shapes, and came up with an idea for a ship design along the way, but I decided not to pursue it. I went back to the whole beanstick flower idea I had going and thought about what kinds of aliens might inhabit them. The last page is thumbnails. I want to give the final some storytelling. I know it isn't in the pitch and if it aint okay I suppose I could just do a neat rendering, but that wouldn't be nearly as fun.
[attachment=88898][attachment=88900][attachment=88899]