Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Yenchi's Sketchbook
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey folks,
allow me to >>introduce myself<<

Here's what I drew today - some Loomis heads and a study of a filmstill
Hello Yenchi, it's hard to say something, because these are barely sketches, however your faces have look good and have nice proportions, looking forward to see more
Very nice studies!
I think the heads look amazing. I love the line quality of them, very confident and delicate.
Oh my what a sad sketchbook thread D:
I really dropped the ball here but let's give it a second try!

So I did some studies of hands
[attachment=99191]

did some character designy stuff - I should do this more often I feel like my visual library is very lacking
[attachment=99192]

got a lot more comfortable with acrylic painting than I've ever been
[attachment=99193]
[attachment=99194]
[attachment=99195]

and here's a beksinski study
[attachment=99196]

aaand a digitial painting I just started - for some reason I really struggle to move ahead in my digital paintings. Ironically I'm much more worried to fuck it up than with traditional paint :/
[attachment=99197]
Yeah- I've noticed when I'm working traditionally, I'm more likely to just accept the flaws, whereas when I'm doing digital, I stress out about everything being perfect. Ctr-z is a blessing and a curse.

Really great stuff so far- keep up the awesome work!
@The Aether Technician  Muchas gracias! Yeah godamn ctrl+z ...I guess the only cure is too grind it out and get really comfortable with the process of digital painting.

I guess the background is getting a bit to messy now - I also don't like the lack of color
[attachment=99260]

Phil Hale study:
[attachment=99265]
Some new stuff
Loving the studies and personal work! Keep charging ahead. I'm really inspired by the way you break down your figures-- who are your favourite influences?
(04-30-2017, 03:39 AM)Bookend Wrote: [ -> ]Loving the studies and personal work! Keep charging ahead. I'm really inspired by the way you break down your figures-- who are your favourite influences?

Hey, thanks! I don't know if I have any 'favorite' influences they're always changing tbh. Recently I found myself looking at a lot of comic cover art like Phil Hale, James Jean, Massimo Carnevale and Marko Djurdjevic.

Should do more life drawing I've gotten out of practice.
[attachment=99625]
[attachment=99628]
[attachment=99627]

I started a new painting
[attachment=99626]

and I think I'm done with this one
[attachment=99630]
Really nice work here Yenchi :).

I especially love your traditional stuff.

Keep going!
Wow your stuff is amazing *.* that last digital painting reminds me a bit of the cover of the dishonored 2 artbook. Love your pencil sketches. I dont know but they have something special. Ach und cool noch jemanden aus Deutschland hier zu sehen :D  freu mich schon auf mehr!
@Artloader Thanks man! Trying my best to get my digital stuff up to par right now!

@NoodleInBox Hey Grüß Dich! :D
I just looked at that artbook cover it's a Sergey Kolesov painting, awesome!

So I did a few longer studies recently - I'm not sure if I should be pushing more for quality or for quantity with these studies.

This one was pretty good I think I was more conscious of the way I used different brushes. Should definitely do more environment studies.
[attachment=99795]

a Sargent study
[attachment=99796]

another Phil Hale  - love those incredibly dark shadows
[attachment=99797]

some more progress on the traditional painting
[attachment=99799]

and here's the rough start of a new digital painting
[attachment=99800]
Awesome, I particularly love the textures on that piece of the old guy with the white beard!

Keep it going fella!
Oh man your brushstrokes are so delicious *.* is the traditional one painted with oil? Ach ja und woher kommst du eigentlich, wenn man fragen darf hehe :D
@Artloader thanks, will keep it going :)

@NoodleInBox Thanks, the traditional one is all in acrylics. Und ich komm aus Hessen. :)

I'm  happy with how this turned out feels like I'm making some improvements
Gaah ich komm nicht drauf klar wie toll deine Sachen aussehen \o.o/ schade Hessen ist ja doch n Stück von Köln entfernt haha. Back to english. Love your brushwork. Keep posting I cant wait to see more *.*