Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Sketchy book
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey im Alex ive been drawing a couple years and im looking to do this kinda thing as a job. Ive never really been in any community kinda thing like this but ive been lurking for a while. Looking forward to getting some good critiques from y'all and gittin gud :) thanks.
Heres some random studies ive done recently a few value studies and a colour study of an african wild dog .
Coin purse thief. critiques welcome :)
Welcome to Daggers, toad kin :) The hyena study looks very nice!
As for the thief illustration, the lighting is a bit inconsistent (like, on the upper legs if you imagine them simplified like solid 3d shapes (cylinders) the core shadow would be same as on the lower legs, it's quite well defined there. Same with the knife, it's lit from top perpendicular to the knife surface, while most of the character is lit from top right, and it lacks cast shadow from the arm. The reflected light on the back of the head is probably too bright. The material on legs above knees bugs me a bit, too, it's probably stiched leather, but it's too close to the skin tone so it might look like very weird bare legs. Is his uncommon ear form intentional? It probably is a part of your story in which case it's ok. I would also love to see more work on the environment. It shouldn't be as detailed as the character of course, but right now it's too raw compared to the guy, and the character isn't integrated enough into the environment (you could play with hard/soft edges). The design and story is cool :) Hope to see more of your stuff.
(07-21-2017, 04:39 AM)neopatogen Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome to Daggers, toad kin :) The hyena study looks very nice!
As for the thief illustration, the lighting is a bit inconsistent (like, on the upper legs if you imagine them simplified like solid 3d shapes (cylinders) the core shadow would be same as on the lower legs, it's quite well defined there. Same with the knife, it's lit from top perpendicular to the knife  surface, while most of the character is lit from top right, and it lacks cast shadow from the arm. The reflected light on the back of the head is probably too bright.  The material on legs above knees bugs me a bit, too, it's probably stiched leather, but it's too close to the skin tone so it might look like very weird bare legs. Is his uncommon ear form intentional? It probably is a part of your story in which case it's ok.  I would also love to see more work on the environment. It shouldn't be as detailed as the character of course, but right now it's too raw compared to the guy, and the character isn't integrated enough into the environment  (you could play with hard/soft edges). The design and story is cool :) Hope to see more of your stuff.

Woah thanks for such a good detailed crit i have a lot to work on lool i think im gonna re-draw this keeping everything you said in mind. i think the main reason for it being f.u.b.a.r is i think i tried to do this drawing without any reference for some reason just as like a mini test or something. the killer is it was supposed to be a broad not a dude lol ! so yeah defo gonna give this one a re-try but with refs this time aha. thanks very much for the help again ! 

Alex.
heres a character i did a while ago for wayfinder fanzine which was pretty fun to work on and also something im working on atm guess the story if there was one is 2 sci fi soldiers are walking through a cave on some planet and its filled with these glowing semi see through eggs :)
re-working the coin purse thief thing starting with some thumbnails this time probs gonna go with the one on the left :)
work in progress shot of a piece im doing for my portfolio. guess the story is that a decade before whats taking place in the painting some alien bug freak spore landed and infested parts of earth and wiped out a whole bunch of humans. the humans waited for the right time to strike and gather their strength before going in and exterminating the alien freaks and these two soldiers have just stumbled across like a mass birthing ground or something. let me know what you think :)
(07-21-2017, 04:03 AM)ToadSage Wrote: [ -> ]Coin purse thief. critiques welcome :)

Hey Toadsage! and welcome. On the Coin thief dude..what jumped out to me was his ear and jawbone. Something not quite right there and maybe it is amplified by his sidey haircut bits running parallel. I dunno my eye went straight there..it could be solved by defining an ear lobe maybe? look forward to seeing some more work! Keep 'em coming! :)