Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Cici's sketchbook
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey everyone! My name is Casey and I would like to improve as an artist! I would say I am a beginner and would love to become more advanced.

Most of my art has a cartoony background feel to it, so I am working towards strengthening my understanding of the fundamentals.  Here is some of my older stuff:

[Image: 2tZN.md.jpg]
[Image: 2Yv8.jpg][Image: 2hYQ.png]

Annnd here are some of my studies I have been working on over the past few days. I have been referencing Bammes, Bridgeman and Hogarth for torso studies. I've always struggled with torsos which is why I am practicing so much...

[Image: 2Bz0.md.jpg]
[Image: 22Q9.md.jpg]
[Image: 2K6K.md.jpg]
[Image: 2Xqo.md.jpg]
[Image: 24ve.jpg]
[Image: 23Yr.md.jpg]

I have also been working on hands as well... I have been working on drawing 100 hands in my sketchbook. The first 20 were absolutely trash... but I can see the improvement!

[Image: 287Y.md.jpg]

And of course, I am working on doing timed poses on posemaniacs everyday. These are 90 second poses:

Done in pencil:
[Image: 2u2m.th.jpg]

Switched over to Ink to work on better line economy:

[Image: 2u2m.md.jpg]

All critiques and feedback is welcome (and sorely needed). I will aim to post on here daily  Sun
Hi there Ciciliang, welcome to the forum :).

Nice start here, keep on doing sketches of the human body like you are and you will soon build up a good visual library. You could also try using a bit more construction in your sketches, like Proko does in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRHfcqjbPq8&t=325s

Good luck - keep it going :)
(01-23-2018, 10:02 AM)Artloader Wrote: [ -> ]Hi there Ciciliang, welcome to the forum :).

Nice start here, keep on doing sketches of the human body like you are and you will soon build up a good visual library.  You could also try using a bit more construction in your sketches, like Proko does in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRHfcqjbPq8&t=325s

Good luck - keep it going :)

Thank you for the warm welcome! I just watched this video and I am going to give this a go. I think adding construction exercises might be the key to help me get going. :)
Here are some sketches from yesterday. I tried using the construction method on the first page in pencil and went back over the main parts in black pen. I outlined the structure of the torso in pink... I also alternated between the bean method and using boxes for the hips and chest.

[Image: 2b4V.jpg]

Also, more hands! I still don't feel 100% confident tackling them. :( The only way to get better is to practice more!

[Image: 2j6d.jpg]
So yesterday I attempted drawing the body as a mannequin as Proko demonstrated in the video linked above and I realized I needed to do studies of the torso in simpler terms. So, I did two pages of "bean" studies and it helped me understand the mass of the torso much much better. I think my two biggest issues are; 1. how the torso folds and 2. seeing the torso as a 3D object in space and translating that to a 2D drawing. All the beans were referenced from photos and even Proko's interpretation himself (to help me get started).

[Image: 2HDS.jpg]
[Image: 2OYP.jpg]

Normally when I draw the figure, I start with the head and work my way down to the feet. I attempted to draw the figure starting with the torso and I like my results so far.

[Image: 2aaL.jpg]

And some stuff from imagination
[Image: 2mel.jpg]
I love the expressiveness of your faces.

Also, I love the proko figure videos--they helped me a lot with drawing people! His portrait series is good too.
You're on the right track, all I can currently say is you need to get more mileage (just keep drawing more)
@Tygerson: Thank you! I feel like that is an area that I need improvement though.. I would love to draw more dynamic expressions rather than static ones. What I posted was my comfort zone. And Proko is extremely helpful!

@HIRVIOS: Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment! I agree. Putting in the time is best way to keep moving forward.

--------

Finally an update. I wanted to keep this a daily thing, but unfortunately I had a family emergency that required me to travel out of state on very short notice. For now things are stable but I feel discouraged by not meeting my daily goal. Rughhhhh. I need to get over it and get back on it.

Here are a few older pages from the "drawabox" website. I noticed in mid-January that my lines aren't as confident and discovered this website while browsing reddit. 

[Image: 2ki9.md.jpg]
[Image: 2gR0.md.jpg]
[Image: 2nLx.md.jpg]
[Image: 2oUK.md.jpg]
[Image: 2PDo.md.jpg]

I hope you guys all had a great start to your month so far! I'll be back tomorrow with more studies!~
You've done the planes,
Now do tons of boxes!
@HIRVIOS I'm slowly but surely getting there! Your comment inspired me to continue working on chapter 1 homework (see below). After I finish chapter 1, I will be tackling the 250 box challenge (oooof!).

--------

Update time! Since getting home, I haven't been able to sit down and hash things out until yesterday finally. I have more draw a box homework from chapter one with some hands thrown in there. Hoping to have a better upload for tomorrow.

[Image: D9gB.md.jpg]
[Image: 2Umm.md.jpg]
[Image: DSce.md.jpg]
[Image: DJbr.md.jpg]
[Image: DVRI.md.jpg]
[Image: DQGY.md.jpg]
[Image: DwiZ.md.jpg]
[Image: DAMV.md.jpg]
I recently joined an urban sketching group and it has been very helpful. I think having a social aspect for learning art helps me stay encouraged and on-track for studies. I just wish they met up more often!! I also have some watercolor and gouache experiments below too. This is my first time using them, and I enjoyed the experience of using them even though the results aren't too stellar. Looking forward to using them more.

[Image: DcKi.md.jpg]
[Image: DTUd.md.jpg]
[Image: Dh5S.md.jpg]
[Image: DtgL.md.jpg]
[Image: Dyhl.md.jpg]
Awesome! Grab a perspective book from the library like "perspective without pain" by Metzger or "drawing perspective: how to see it and how to apply it" by Brehm and read a bit between your sessions drawing "in the wild." It helps!
I still can sense some hesitation with you line making i encourage you to train doing simple line exercise use a pen because it will force you to be more aware of what you put on the page.I see you doing the drawbox exercise that a great start just keep doing it on a more regular basis to keep that confidence in line making.What i recommend is to be aware of the speed you drawing each line not to fast and not to slow i would say you seem too be to slow when using a marker and to fast when you using a pen.