Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Joseph's shiny new sketchbook
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
aight i think i'm pretty much done right now, might look at it again later.
I really enjoy your latest painting, very nice brushwork. Looks like an oil painting.
(02-06-2022, 06:33 AM)JosephCow Wrote: [ -> ]aight i think i'm pretty much done right now, might look at it again later.

Hey man that painting is looking great!

Hope you do revisit this one later on, would love to see you take this to a finish. :)
Turned out great! Love your color choices here, the 'magenta' fire gives it such a much more magical feeling than going with the standard orange one, really adds to the image. Love the way you handled the armor with this one, values and color choices are very well done!
The colours are beautiful, gives that super heated, metal bending heat look to it rather than the standard wood burning flame.

I would like to see some knees bent in anticipation of a fight, and the elbow of that archer raised so it makes a little more sense of the draw. The armor is spot on, and the little detail is nice.
Thanks! I think i will take your advice these are good points
Glad I found this! Great work on the armour btw, love the little painterly brushstrokes you put in a lot of areas. It gives it a real nice and traditional feeling.
Hoping to see more soon!
Oh man I've been really busy finishing things up at the atelier and haven't really had time for my other art stuff and posting on here unfortunately. But here's a couple drawings I did recently. Not perfect but I've definitely made some progress in my pencil drawing since a year ago.
Hi JC,

It's been a while since I commented on your work. You have an excellent understanding of anatomy and form as evidenced in those last two.

From my art anatomy days I'm guessing that those were shorter gesture or studies. Yes?

The only suggestion I could make is to punch up your darker values a bit — but I know shorter sessions don't always allow for that kind of detail.

Thanks for commenting over my way — you made a very good suggestion that I ran with
It's been a while JC! I see that you are still kicking ass with your atelier work! Seeing your charcoals and pencils makes me want to break out the old things from my closet and start working on paper again! Keep up the nice work!
Thanks guys. Is everyone just going to call me JC now lol? that's new.

These are a couple shorter drawings, i have more that are more finished/shaded but I just felt like uploading something
That's a good feeling, trust that feeling.

I have always enjoyed the traditional life drawing you do, and it probably stems from my own experiences being spoiled by tutors who took things in a more abstract and contemporary direction, but it makes me want to take it up again. :)
(04-21-2022, 01:29 PM)JosephCow Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks guys. Is everyone just going to call me JC now lol? that's new.

These are a couple shorter drawings, i have more that are more finished/shaded but I just felt like uploading something

I've been doing that with pretty much everyone's user name....sorry if I started a trend.  [Image: tongue.png]

Yeah I looked through your other pages after I replied and saw you getting some nice value ranges on longer pieces. 

Looking fwd to seeing more
Had a skim through your sketchbook and your traditional work is stunning. Love the heavy painterly style you've taken into the digital realm, don't see too many artists doing that nowadays.
Wanted to work a bit more on my CHOW submission, even though it's passed the time. Just practicing doing a render with ambient lighting. I really like how that shows form when done well.
(05-12-2022, 06:02 PM)Crowbit Wrote: [ -> ]Had a skim through your sketchbook and your traditional work is stunning. Love the heavy painterly style you've taken into the digital realm, don't see too many artists doing that nowadays.

thanks!
Dig the last character, nice expression and choice of colors.
I like ambient lighting too.

I like your character design. Dunno if you're going to keep working this — but I'd use a more cohesive color for the 'beverage.'
Yeah I think I'm gonna do a little more one it. What color you thinking?
(05-17-2022, 09:21 AM)JosephCow Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah I think I'm gonna do a little more one it. What color you thinking?

I'm still struggling with color (and had to go an open my big mouth)  [Image: tongue.png]

Anywho — since I have no shame — here are some quick thoughts.

Though, sometimes I just add a hue layer and just start moving sliders around looking for ideas

[attachment=125437]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18