Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: jacksoneligray Intro
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey folks,
I guess I probably should have done this first before putting up my sketchbook thread yesterday, whoops.
Anyway, my name is Jackson, I'm from California, and quarantine has been rough. I hope everyone is safe and doing well.

I've been pursuing art seriously for about five years now. I don't think I'm the worst, but I do feel like for the amount of time and effort I've put into it, I should be a lot better than I am by now. I think I came here because I'm ready to stop being afraid of getting feedback from others, I just want to get better. I had a mindset for a while that if I just worked really hard for a really long time then I would improve, which isn't completely wrong, but I think I the aspect of that that I conveniently forgot to add to the equation was that I should probably seek advice from outside sources, which I did not do. For a long time, I wanted to be the one to figure out all of my problems for myself; something about that idea made it feel more like a personal triumph. At this point, I've realized what a dumb idea that was, and it is one that I regret having for so long. Now I am really just looking for more of a sense of community when it comes to art, and I've always heard good things about this site. To beat a point to death, I really just want to improve, so any feedback anyone has for me is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jackson Gray

Sketchbook: http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-8915.html
Never listen to the ego to much it put you to sleep.I am still struggling myself to be more open to critic.

Here a small ''gift'' if you can call it one.It a article i did to self diagnose yourself with certain trait of being that affecting negatively your chance of being a sucessful artist or just in general a ''better version of yourself''.The good thing is you can become aware over time of certain thing if you practice honesty with yourself something the ego refuse in general.

You can find the gift here.
http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-4785.html

I appreciate that, I think there are a lot of good points there.
I should clarify, I've never really had an issue receiving criticism before. I've always respected people's opinions, and I try to take any criticism I get constructively. I definitely don't believe I have things figured out, haha.

I more so just mean that I often shy away from putting my stuff out there more, because I see (some of) the problems with my work so I think "why would I show this, when I already know it could be better". It just took a long time to see that I'm never going to be perfectly satisfied with anything I make forever. I just fear looking stupid when someone goes "that's wrong" and I'm like "gah, yeah I know". I think I've kind of discovered though that I need someone to make that point sometimes, whether I noticed it or not, or else I'm never going to fix my mistakes. 
I'm sick of only making stuff for myself, I guess. Time to get out there. 

Thanks again for your response. :D
It not necessarly that your sick of doing stuff for yourself it seem to me more like your sick of not progressing.You can do some many drawing until you go like wtf is wrong it never look like i want it to look like but you can't kinda put your finger on it and your like there something wrong why i can't seem to pinpoint it.It not necessarly that your observational skill are bad it might simply be that your leaking some of the theory and fill the gap with guess work.