Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Crimson COW (Week of May 30th)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

This week's theme and brief by previous winner, RottenPocket

Creature of the Week
»Unlikely Familiar«

"Witches warlocks and weird people often have a companion creature, but we've had enough of owls, cats and toads. For once let's see some unlikely companions of the mystically inclined."

The best of the COWs will be picked by an anonymous poll in the Finals thread and the winner is given the opportunity to pick the theme of the next COW's design, as well as becoming the title banner for that week! So go hard, design something interesting and unique!

Guidelines:
  • No photograph paint overs, must be 100% original work. (See next rule for exception)
  • 3D is permitted and renders MAY be used as whole or in part of a painting, as long as YOU created the work. Pre-made and/or purchased online assets are forbidden.
  • Studies are recommended, but not required.
  • There is no restriction on image formats (horizontal, vertical, square).
  • Environment backgrounds are optional.
  • Keep in mind you are not required to stick to what is in the passage. It is more of a guide in terms of mood.

Rules:
  • You must post at least one WIP in the WIP thread to be accepted into the final poll.
  • Finals must be posted in the finals thread before the deadline.
  • This has to be a creature, but humans can be with the creature. Humanoid creatures are allowed.
  • At least 3/4 of the creature must be visible.
  • Only ONE submission per person in the finals thread.
  • No fanart. We want to see your original, unique interpretations!
  • Voting will be held for 5 days after the deadline.
  • In an event of a tiebreaker, a winner will be chosen through a randomized name picker.

Deadline is Sunday, June 20th @ UTC: 23:59

-+|| WIP THREAD ||+-
Howdy Daggers!
This is where we post all our doodles drafts, right?
Exploring ideas...

[attachment=122489]
This is indeed the place. And whoa, nice going. I'm partial to the spoonbill with the big feet.
Welcome back, Leo!
These are cool, loads of different ideas and I think all of them look great! First one is the most unlikely companion, since it looks so innocent ...
Sparrow witch. 
The ideas I came up with ( some are a bit on the silly side )

[Image: KdWDdT1l.jpg]
@Pubic Enemy - Thank you, but I see I can't draw anymore. The spoonbill was meant to be a platypus :]
@Ash - Thanks! I'll go with the platypus, it was the first one that popped in my mind. The sparrows look even more innocent - what are they up to?
@Jana - The kangaroo is also a good boxer. If you pick it, our familars will be on the same continent.

A bit more research:

[attachment=122560]
The platypus companion is great lol. Exactly what an unlikely familiar would be!
@Leo Ki, I really ended up picking the kangaroo :D platypus is really cute and kind of an rare animal, or at least not one that comes to my mind right away.

Kangaroo ended up looking less cute and more stern, so I decided to go with battle Kangaroo. Always at your side to give you the best of the arsenal of weapons it carries in its pouch. Will post coloured version in finals thread.
[Image: yqeYhJll.jpg]
@JosephCow - I guess when I read "unlikely familiar" I jumped to "unlikely animal" and there was the platypus!
@Jana - The last version is very stern indeed, but it has its justification.

I got crushed by work and couldn't find time for art during the last week. I missed the deadline, but I get to vote as a consequence :)