Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Sketchbook: Version 1.5
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Hi all,

I posted in my old thread earlier and decided to do away with it because it's so old. I've been getting into painting again after many years and it's been so long since I visited here. So, I thought I'd start sharing again in hopes of gaining some knowledge and improvement. I'm working mainly with pencils and oil paints, and would like to carry on mainly with these traditional mediums.

Here's some stuff...

[attachment=125908]
[attachment=125909]
[attachment=125910]
[attachment=125911]
[attachment=125912]
Another sketch in oil on panel. I'm going to have a go at a little still life this evening. 

Have a great weekend!

[attachment=125916]
[attachment=125917]
Oh man these pages and skulls are badass!
ballpoint: Such kind words. Thank you.

-

I tried some apple studies from life last night.

[attachment=125928]
[attachment=125929]
[attachment=125930]
Oil on Panel, 10 x 8

[attachment=125936]
[attachment=125937]
[attachment=125938]

Will be doing more still life studies tonight.
Loving these, man. Especially your variety of edge control on some of these skulls
These all look great, very solidly constructed and painted. Loving your brushwork as well!
_spec - Thank you for the kind words.

cgmythology - Much appreciated. Thanks

-

Just got home from a trip over seas. Not had much chance for sketching and painting. There's a 3 year old in tow now. I did however pick me up a desktop easel. Here's a little work in progress...

[attachment=126031]
[attachment=126032]
[attachment=126033]
[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmaggenta.com%2Fmedia%2F...f=1&nofb=1]
This remind me of your way of doing background because of the rather abstract nature they have.But you have more of a direction in the way you move the paint and we can see your stroke of brush.Here it more fluid less predictable if you want to try it out it also i think it the perfect way and excuse if you feel like letting loose a bit more and creating with less intent right out the gate and instead turning the abstract into what ever you see.
Wow I really love that pencil girl portrait. Imagination? Reference? +1 on those color scales too ;)
darktiste - Thanks for your comment. I would definitely like to give that a go and see where it leads. I do like little abstract flourishes in work. I appreciate the suggestion.

ballpoint - Yes, she was from imagination. Thank you very much!

-

Here's a couple of sketches done in oil last night. Both are from my own photographic reference and I would like to carry on working these up into finished paintings.

[attachment=126053]
[attachment=126054]
[attachment=126052]
Trying to work these up. A little more done last night.

[attachment=126059]
[attachment=126060]
A quick colour study in oils.

[attachment=126077]
Quick update here (Post 1/2)

- Oil on paper. 

[attachment=126111]
[attachment=126112]
Update (2/2)

This is the one I'd like to talk about a little...

...I know I've been doing a lot of skulls and that's because I feel fairly comfortable with them. It's because eventually I'd like to do portraits and build from there (but, my days, do moody landscapes get me going!) So, I guess doing skulls helps with the structure of the face, right?

I feel like I had a bit of a break through this evening with this one, as I've not been mindlessly pushing paint around on the surface until it looks like something I'm fairly content with. I picked my brush strokes and committed to them. Decisive strokes to try and push form. I really feel like I'm starting to connect with oil paint now. Or maybe it was just luck? We shall see. However, I was happy with the strokes I laid, not necessarily the image in it's self.

Thanks.

[attachment=126113]
Painting is a medium which is more fluid it not necessary the best medium to learn about anatomy i would say. Since like you say you have to push the color and value around.

On an other note why not draw colorful stuff for a change.You could be surpris on the effect it might have on you.

I don't know if you painting to find a therapeutic head space you can turn down some thought you might have and just go blank and just push paint and get a result it sure is better than being medicated but consider that color are a powerful anti depressant we now a day aren't all aware of the phychological effect color have on us it easy to be moody it hard to be happy but if we are around color everyday we don't realize how much they make life more vibrant.

Sorry if might be over analysing stuff
Loving the updates, great style as stated, very unique and interesting brushwork throughout. The skull images are particularly interesting because your style really compliments the subject matter there. Keep it up!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5