Crimson Daggers — Art forum

Full Version: Crimson CHOW #40 - Nature's Mistake
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

This week's theme and brief by previous winner, RottenPocket

Crimson Character of the Week #40
Nature's Mistake

"Environment, character or creature, make something that defies or diverges from the norm - think evolution, genetic mutation of animals or plants that seems wildly left field. "

The best of the CHOWs will be picked by an anonymous poll in the Finals thread and the winner is given the opportunity to pick the theme of the next CHOW's design, as well as becoming the title banner for that week! So go hard, design something interesting and unique!

Guidelines:
  • No photograph paint overs, must be 100% original work. (See next rule for exception)
  • 3D is permitted and renders MAY be used as whole or in part of a painting, as long as YOU created the work. Pre-made and/or purchased, online, assets are forbidden.
  • There is no restriction on the character's gender, time period or culture.
  • Studies are recommended, but not required.
  • There is no restriction on image formats (horizontal, vertical, square).
  • Environment backgrounds are optional.
  • Keep in mind you are not required to stick to what is in the passage. It is more of a guide in terms of mood.

Rules:
  • You must post at least one WIP in the WIP thread to be accepted into the final poll.
  • Finals must be posted in the finals thread before the deadline.
  • At least 3/4 of the character must be visible (minimum from the knees up).
  • Only ONE submission per person in the finals thread.
  • No fanart. We want to see your original, unique interpretations!
  • Voting will be held for 5 days after the deadline.
  • In an event of a tiebreaker, a winner will be chosen through a randomized name picker.

Deadline is Saturday, December 10th @ UTC: 23:59

-+|| WIP THREAD ||+-
I'll try...wouldn't mind having a go! Let's see what happens.
Trying to make a start on this. A few incredibly rough sketches to set me on my way. I quite like the one I've cropped. I think it has potential to be built up.

[attachment=126859]
[attachment=126860]
Lookin good Damien; really nice gesture and silhouettes.
Public Enemy - Thanks! Definitely trying to get this done. It's a good exercise if anything for me right now.

-

Tried drawing up a more full body. Not sure how this is going to go. I'd at least like a pencil drawing that's inked for a final. Colour would be nice, bit not sure about time.
Really nice start Damien!

It’s been a few since I’ve joined in this but let’s have a little fun!

The cruel existence  and scarce food supply for the beach trolls of peregrine island have forced nature to step in. Call it evolution or call it a mistake only one things for sure… they love the crunch of them shipwrecked sailors…

Hopefully we can splash some color down over thanksgiving.
[attachment=126901]
Got to spend a few good hours on this one. It my be a little bit of a stretch of the brief,  but within the realm of fantasy even a mutated beach troll should have its 5 minutes of fame. 

Might do a bit more tweaking if I can steal some more time but could also call this final if need be. 

[attachment=126904]
CBinnsIllustration - Thanks. 

I decided to try and work up my first sketch a bit. Not sure I'll get it done in time. But, I'll try. I'm really struggling with the legs here, mostly. Among other things. I am finding this really helpful though in terms of what I really need to work on. Pretty much everything.

[attachment=126917]
Looking good, guys. I'm extending the deadline by a week so that we'll be more likely to have 2 submissions for the final.
These look great, and would love to see yours finished Damien.

I would love to have something to contribute and did work on something but I folded, hitting a big wall on mine and it's so bad I refuse to post it - but for conversation's sake it was a bonsai made of ears. Because maybe they evolved in response to basic plant moms talking to them all the time *shrug*
I'm sorry to hear that Rotten. I'm sure I would think it's awesome if you were to post it though.
RottenPocket - Thanks...I've decided....I'm going hem down and at least get something done. Even if it's just for practice. Even if it's it's just pencils or a digital sketch. I'll try and get a design done at least.

We have what? Two days now? Is it the 10th?

Dude...just do it anyway...I'd love to see how you approach that.

Edit: Nevermind...I re read the brief. It's the 10th...game on. Let's draw!
Argh, you're killin' me with this one...
Good luck Damien; I'm fine with whatever way you get it done.

Rotten, that's insane, but it is awesome, LOL. It looks like it could be right out of a particularly strange illuminated manuscript.
[attachment=128020]@Public Enemy: It is so nice to see this forum alive and well. I was a big time fan and user of Conceptart.org. I started working on the forums on C.A. back in 2007 when I was 27, I'm now 41,lol. With the loss of C.A. I noticed I have slowed down a lot on creating experimental artwork. Thanks for still having a a place like this and maybe it can populate more with other talented artists. You've got the two main things I was missing most from C.A. which were the C.O.W. and C.H.O.W alive and well here. Thank you!

@Damien Levs: Really great work, I really like your first sketch from 11-16-22; very fantasy and very cool. Your 11-29-22 render was really coming along great. Hopefully you get to finish in future challenges.

@CbinnsIllustration: Really cool concept and great render. The lighting on your piece came out really nice.

@RottenPocket: That is great! Really cool concept and sketch; that's alot of ears.
Another fun one....fun, fun, fun =)  Bomb [attachment=128022]