Sula's Sketchbook
Beautiful grayscale, Sula.
Sweet baby jesus, those are some beautiful studies Ursula. I especially like the bowl of cherries. I hope you have a great New Year!
Lovely updates! That pencil sharpener is awesome! And happy new year! Looking forward to seeing what you do in 2013!

Steve Anthony Pierce
CD Sketchbook | Artstation | Instagram | Blog | Twitter | DA | Facebook
@Warburton: yay, thank you! :D I hope I can keep it up!
@Pearwood: an honor to have you around! Welcome and thank you :D
@CKL: Haha yay, thanks man!
@Pierce: Thanks :D

Haha so I was supposed to post something good today but pfft. Way to start the year :p
Will have to try this one again, REALLY hahah
[Image: Life-painting-08.jpg]

(its kinda funny that I am always setting up stuff to paint on the same spot, so they all have this same background - that dark stripe and part of the wall.. I sort of need to fix that :p)

Today's.
Hard brush again

[Image: Photo-study-14.jpg]

Today's sketch was much more fun than the study.
So please accept this sketch :p

[Image: Salvaged-Sketch-27.jpg]

nice studies

@Midknight: Thanks man!

Here, couple of sketches from the last weeks.
I am busy with the satyrs painting, so it will be a small while before I update again :)

[Image: SB-162.jpg]
[Image: SB-163.jpg]
[Image: SB-164.jpg]
[Image: SB-165.jpg]
[Image: SB-166.jpg]
[Image: SB-167.jpg]
[Image: SB-168.jpg]
[Image: SB-169.jpg]

[Image: Satyr-Color-07.jpg]

wow great job so far with the Satyrs! I also love your pencil work, post more of those. I think you have to make the foreground landscape a bit more warm or a bit more intense, The satyrs color contrast does not correlate well with the very cool landscape grounds, but I am sure you already knew that. Good stuff mate.

Edit: In terms of the feet's placement on the ground!

Wee signed up so I can come comment on your SB here! (And maybe start my own? Stranger things have happened!) I do like the direction the Satyr piece is going, but I think there's something being lost in the ambient light considerations. I know moonlight will generally give everything a cool, less saturated cast, but I think you could push the saturation in the shadows of the skintones more to make your characters pop some more. The mushrooms are maybe a bit much (in comparison to everything else) but could work if you bump the saturation up a little. You could also vary your hues a little more while keeping the tonal values... take the bushes on the right hand side - all of their highlights and shadows are exactly the same colour, there's no subtle blues or oranges in there to give them life (though this might be something you're doing at a later pass, so ignore me if so!). I did a quick paintover to show how I think maybe more warm tones would give something for that moonlight to contrast against, and help divide foreground and background. Also makes the satyr's feel a little more alive and fleshy :) http://sta.sh/0px2s7y9ly8
I was about to write something coherent when suddenly HIDDLES. *0*

btw: wohooo, finally I can visit your thread again.
These are great! Keep up the good work. :)

Awesome work, you have been working hard, its been way too long since I have been here! I really like the colours in your last piece :) <3

Yay, thanks guys <3

@TNiznet: yeah, trying to nail down the colors. Lets see :) I know alright, but I have been in trouble trying to push it out too.
@Zephyri: lots of love for that feedback! Thanks girl, and welcome :D
@Natzetta: haha thanks <3 I cant get over that guy. And I still own Loki a decent fanart. :p
@Glonk: Thanks man!
@jaik: :D thanks man, welcome back! Let's see if I can manage to not break that piece haha

Here, mental to do list:
1) Shoot ref for the hands. Thats tomorrow as soon as I get back from work
2) work on the foreground trunk, that should not take that long since is mostly shadow.
3) Work the ribbons! Edges are way too sharp atm.
4) weep over at everything that went wrong
5)...
6) profit! (and submission to spectrum!)

[Image: Satyr-Color-08.jpg]

edit after posting:
Argh, something is still off about the color :<

this piece is going to be epic, great choice with that light scheme and colours.
And awesome sketches as always.

@Eduardogaray: Thanks man! :D

Last round!
Fedex guy is picking the print up for spectrum monday. I am sending this piece and the shaman piece in! So I have time for small fixes before printing it on sunday~
What you guys think?

[Image: Satyr-Color-09.jpg]

Sula, it turned out wonderfully! I wish I could give you some constructive criticism to make it even better, but staring at it for a good 10 minutes and I still got nothing, haha! Comparatively to your last "big" piece(the Zelda fanart) I think this turned out much much better too! Keep up all the hard work, you're doing great!

Awesome job Sula - you should be extremely proud of this!!!

I do have one small compositional thing that's catching my eye - the small tree plant in the middle of the whole piece - it's kind of got a tangent thing going on with the nearest scarf/banner thing. I don't know if this is worth addressing or not or if it would even be an improvement, but I'd at least consider dropping the scarf down to break up the shape, or raise the plant (but I think that would probably look awkward).

Anyway, it's been a pleasure watching this thing come together and I'm really sorry if this minor note so late in the game causes any doubt or dissatisfaction because the piece is really spectacular. Level up definitely achieved! Congrats!

Steve Anthony Pierce
CD Sketchbook | Artstation | Instagram | Blog | Twitter | DA | Facebook
Lovely work, Sula, full of joy and innocence.