Sula's Sketchbook
@Wraeclast: yay, thank you :D

Here is today's 2.5h in!

[Image: Barinade-wip-04.jpg]

Aaaand done :D

[Image: Barinade-final.jpg]

Very nice! I like your lighting and colors and your composition is cool. You're very fast also, I wish I could polish my work that quickly...

Woooooooow!

I thought the update in #681 was when it was pretty much done... but you took it to the next level aaaaah :D !

Loooooove it!
Although now I wanna play Zelda ;_;

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
@DeLeon: Thanks :D Haha Advertising will teach you a thing or two about speed.
@Smrrfette: <3 thank you! I always leave all "special effects" for the end, usually adds a bit of punch :)

Today's
Fun with pencils :D Take one and two on the same idea, still not what I had in mind but have to sleep.

[Image: SB-225.jpg]

The Zelda piece came out great, and like others said, soooo fast. Love it.
Absolutely love your pencil work too, more please :).

Woah Ursula, you're making amazing progress! I really like that Zelda piece(sheds tear of nostalgia), really nice color and effects on the jellyfishes, also that pencil drawing looks great!

Keep it up :)

@JakeB: thanks :D Working on that hehe
@Wla91: hey man, thanks for stopping by again! Thanks <3

So!
I had my first professional portfolio review and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting.
One of the crits I got that definitely got me thinking is that my work still has this airbrushy feeling to it, and I should work more confidence into my brushwork. He suggested me to do this exercise: paint and apple with only 5 brushstrokes/marks allowed per apple.

It's quite hard, not to say abstract sometimes.
I am not even sure I am doing this right haha
Gotta keep trying.
[Image: 5-marks-apples-01.jpg]

{edit}
Some pretty useful feedback I just got from Doug Hoppes (a dear colleague from Chris Oatley's class! Check his work out: http://www.hoppesstudio.com/ )
" The basic technique for minimum strokes is to see everything as really large shapes. So, to do this, separate the light plane and the dark plane. The way that I would approach the problem is that you would have one stroke for the top, one stroke for the area between the top and middle and then three vertical strokes for apple body (Left, middle, side) and then one stroke for the bottom (That would be six). This is an interesting test...."

Holy craaaaaaaaap... so much gold in one post!

Thank you for sharing... everything above ヽ(^Д^)ノ

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
Very inspiring <3
That apple exercise is an interesting one. I might try something similar. Thanks for sharing.

You are on fire! So goooood

@Smrrfette: yay! Glad it was useful :D now to really understand hehe
@julio: thanks man :p Now spend more time around hehe
@Ignatz: Anytime!
@pnate: Thanks man :D

So haha
Somedays you just can't get rid of the bomb, yes? A huge pile of thumbs and nope, not there yet. Also a random sketch about mark making because yes? Now fix dinner. Then pencils, hmm yess pencils.

[Image: Salvaged-Sketch-43.jpg]
[Image: Splash-Illy-thumbs01.jpg]

damn, that last Zelda illustration is looking real good, really nice composition and textures, specially the lightning of those jellyfish.
I wont say anything about the pencils, because you already know how awesome they are. xD
And interesting thumbs, all of them could make an interesting picture.
Waiting to see more!

@EduardoGaray: Thanks man! Working on that :D

Today's studies.
Dang it, had to rush the malekith study because I have stuff to do attend to today :( Missed many good texture opportunities, may try it again.
And today's round of apples too.

[Image: 5-marks-apples-02.jpg]
[Image: Photo-study-68.jpg]

This is probably way to close to Dave's work (obviously I lack the good parts of it, but still feels like lame copying) for me to be comfortable with
/throws hand in the air

[Image: Salvaged-Sketch-44.jpg]

The Zelda piece is just breathtaking! Wow! Really loving that rim light, and the translucent creatures!

Those 5 stroke apple studies are such a cool exercise!

Sketchbook

@tygerson: whoa, thanks man :D

Today's apples.
[Image: 5-marks-apples-03.jpg]

Omnomnom apples :) Liking the energetic stuff, and that blue study weeps for the hard edges :P

@iCi: haha it does :P Well. Ill try it again. I really like the ref, and I failed pretty badly.

So, today's apple sucked, have yesterday's. And a random sketch with too much sharpen on it.

[Image: 5-marks-apples-04.jpg]
[Image: Salvaged-Sketch-45.jpg]

I was all over Art of Blizzard book again. It is unfair how much I enjoy Wei's art.