30 minute spit paint, gates of hell:
[Image: gatesofhell.jpg]

[Image: sgalien.jpg]

excuse the derpy mouth region on this guy
[Image: gold.jpg]

photostudy:

[Image: cliffsstudy.jpg]

Studies look great :)

Super fresh brush handling and colors on the last study!

Thanks guys ;D

[Image: grasslandsstep1.jpg]

more environments:

[Image: environmentcomp.jpg]

some random stuff from the past couple days, and a pile of lava:

[Image: mmastudy1.jpg]

[Image: mmastudy2.jpg]

[Image: giantstatue2.jpg]

[Image: lava.jpg]

[Image: skullstudy106.jpg]

Nice colors in these latest things here. That one enviro study is really nice, and it definitely shows that it helped in your personal environments. The really green one is nice, it looks like something straight out of MTG, the same can be said of the other two you'd done.

Nice work! :]

Thanks so much man! Seriously thats a huge compliment haha <333

one from last night:

[Image: skullstudy107.jpg]

Here's some more character WIPs. It is fairly obvious how much I hate hands and legs and feet haha. I really need to focus on that weakness!

[Image: papuapeople2.jpg]

[Image: trollcockedhead2.jpg]

[Image: sikhstep1.jpg]

after repin:

[Image: repinstudystep3.jpg]

I'm feeling really sick today so I am foregoing the usual layer management stuff and just winging it. I'm noticing how powerful color temperature contrasts can be by just changing the saturation within one hue. I'm assuming I don't need to change the actual color much because there aren't many different wavelengths of light bouncing around when the only light source in my room is one halogen floor lamp, and outdoors during the day the white light from the sun provides a lot more opportunity for hue shifts to effect color temperature change. I'm still not entirely sure how to marry this stuff with manipulating the color sliders with any degree of confidence, haha. How drastically I change the hue and saturation in these situations (especially from imagination) is mostly just guess work, and I'd love to be able to do that with certainty eventually. I've noticed that things can get muddy when I haphazardly shift hue and saturation without really thinking about things too much (where the reflected light is coming from, the temperature of the main light source, etc).

Example -- something specific I've been trying to get a grasp on from my previous studies, the blue of the sky reflecting off of a warm yellow-orange skin tone shifts the hue towards red-purple and not towards green like paint would do. That's because the colors are mixing optically via an additive process, and not subtractively as if they were pigments? eh? I also have a feeling being color blind is not helping these matters and I cant help but wonder what subtlety I'm not seeing.

Anyway, here's the quick study from tonight. Painting while sick is kind of a drag :durr:

[Image: skullstudy108.jpg]

Hi Devin,
Really great work all around. That Repin Study is very good. I don't think your color blindness is any kind of disadvantage.
You are correct about your observations regarding the differences between additive mixing and subtractive (pigment) mixing. Check out www.huevaluechroma.com for some real in-depth info on the subject. Get to work on those hands and feet!

-Sketchbook-
"... for drawing is a thinking person's art." - Walt Stanchfield.
Thanks so much Javier! That's exactly what I'm looking for.

another one from this morning:
[Image: skullstudy109.jpg]

Those skulls look great, wish I had a skull in my hands.

Can you smash one with a hammer and draw a cracked skull?

thanks man! too expensive to smash with a hammer though ;(

not particularly happy with any of this stuff yet, at least I'm trying new things though

[Image: dragon5.jpg]

[Image: derr.jpg]

[Image: shepherd1.jpg]

[Image: envirothumnail1.jpg]
not really sure about how I tightened this up, I feel like I really lost the focal point and mood =\

[Image: quarry2.jpg]

[Image: lol5.jpg]

[Image: pillarssketch1.jpg]

Hello! I've been following you for some time on facebook, I love your work! Your brushstrokes are amazing :) Keep it coming!

Thanks man!!

reworked that last one:

[Image: dragon2sketch20.jpg]

some of the relevant studies:

[Image: raptorskeleton.jpg]

[Image: raptorskull.jpg]

and doodles:

[Image: baldface.jpg]

[Image: lookingdown.jpg]

[Image: yelloworc.jpg]

awesome work man!!
Inspiring