Sula's Sketchbook
From life
[Image: Life-painting-11.jpg]

Still enviro with painterly feel/soft edges
[Image: PD2-20.jpg]

ok, 1st batch of the color script for painting drama 2! This is based on Schindler's list
...whew
Fun but, ugh, at least 25 more to go. The idea was to use as little as possible brushwork. So all gradients and lasso tool.

[Image: 01.jpg]
[Image: 02.jpg]
[Image: 03.jpg]
[Image: 04.jpg]
[Image: 05.jpg]
[Image: 06.jpg]

Fascinating, Sula. So much captured in so few lines.
@Pearwood: It's fascinanting. I am torn between very clean images and very painterly ones right now - hence the need to balance.

Today's enviro before I get back to the color script
[Image: Enviro-18.jpg]

Love the colors and mood in your latest enviros :)

Do you take any notes after doing specialized studies like the color scripts? If not, I suggest giving it a try - summarizing where and why you struggled, what was new to you etc - I feel that this adds an extra layer of understanding and memorizing the concepts. More than just thinking about it while actually doing the painting.

Keep it up <3

SketchbookDeviantartArtblog | Portfolio
Every feedback is appreciated!
@Lyraina: <3 That is a nice idea! I'll do it, thanks!

Today's color scripts

[Image: 07.jpg]
[Image: 08.jpg]
[Image: 09.jpg]
[Image: 10.jpg]
[Image: 11.jpg]
[Image: 12.jpg]

Like these color scripts Ursula

I really think that you have seriously leveled up a damn lot in recent times Sula, this last post is a clear evidence. :) And those studies seem like the way to go.
I like the idea of making all the gradations with the lasso, that procedure would be great to make detailed thumbnails in a really short time.

looks great - only question i have is if it isnt a bit too defined for the task? I would have expected that the instruction for using less brushwork would also mean to be very rough. i may be wrong though - just thought on the picture with the meal and wine glass that it is too much detail work for something that should concentrate on the color scheme.

@jamesxwu: thanks bro :D
@EduardoGaray: yes! Haha Oatley's and his sneaky assignments. I think after working on this I am finally understanding how to do a color study of a piece!
@Wolken: *fidgets* haha yes? Yes. Haha you're right! I have been trying to SO HARD to stop and NOT detail this. He shouldn't have creases on his forehead on the last one too but DAMN those are two brushstrokes. I'll try harder hahaha

Today's enviro
[Image: Enviro-19.jpg]

Crashing rocks, like a great wave.
So good. A whooooole lot of work going on here.

I assume you have looked at Gurney's stuff on colour scripts? You probably are, but just wanted to remind you they exist incase you forgot :D

Cant wait to see all of the scripts as thumbnails on a large file. Will be a really cool way to see the results of the exercise <3

@Pearwood: yes! :D Haha someday I'll be able to pull it off properly.
@Jaik: Yep! Gurney's and lots of Disney/Pixar books, as well as dreamworlds :D All amazing! Thank you! (I'm excited for it too hehe)

I didnt manage to finish a set yesterday, so just going to pull it today.
Meanwhile, today's enviro:
[Image: Enviro-20.jpg]

"Ascent"
@Pearwood: if I ever finish that, it already has a name <3

3 more for the color script!
[Image: 13.jpg]
[Image: 14.jpg]
[Image: 15.jpg]

Aight, last batch for the color script! Decided to push it, so no enviro today. I'm going to assemble the script itself tomorrow :)

[Image: 16.jpg]
[Image: 17.jpg]
[Image: 18.jpg]
[Image: 19.jpg]
[Image: 20.jpg]
[Image: 21.jpg]
[Image: 22.jpg]
[Image: 24.jpg]
[Image: 25.jpg]
[Image: 26.jpg]
[Image: 27.jpg]

Wow the colour scripts look amazing. Really cool how you get such a feel for the scene with so few brushstrokes. Seems like a great exercise :)

Environments look awesome too. You're killing it recently. :) Keep it coming :)

@JakeB: Thanks yay! It was fun (and very enlightening!) to work on it. I have a few adjustments to do now, and I'm going to assemble it today :)

But for now, enviro study!

[Image: Enviro-21.jpg]

Woo!
Tentative final version
(tentative and final in the same sentence hahah yes)
Let's submit to peer review and see how much I have to actually change :p I did end up retouching quite a few (some were very monochromatic).

[Image: CS01.jpg]