Crimson Daggers — Art forum
Sula's Sketchbook - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: PERSONAL ARTWORK (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: SKETCHBOOKS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Sula's Sketchbook (/thread-141.html)

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Raman Djafari - 11-13-2012

cool stuff! i really like those pencil portraits. you seem to have a really good sense of the facial anatomy and it's different volumes.

the zelda illustration looks pretty good . i would suggest not to render every shape of everything in the picure as detailed as you did. it kinda takes away from the focal point of the image.

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Ursula Dorada - 11-16-2012

Thanks Raman!
But I actually think I should render MORE my dominant visual idea, and not render everything less. :) But anyway, I need to push that contrast alright!

Still trying pretty hard with those thumbs, here is an idea today that got me more excited than all the other ones:
[Image: Satyr-Thumbs-07.jpg]

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Nimao - 11-16-2012

i really like these composition stuff.. =)

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Ursula Dorada - 11-17-2012

Thanks Nimao :D It is dragging a bit more than expected, but that is good if I get a good painting by the end of it.

Quick photo study today, using grid for the base sketch.
[Image: Photo-study-11.jpg]

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Ursula Dorada - 11-17-2012

Little bit more of progress on the Satyrs piece.
Here a couple of the gesture studies I did for it, and the last thumbnail. Feels it's time for sketching!

[Image: Satyr-Thumbs-08.jpg]
[Image: Satyr-Thumbs-09.jpg]

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Veneq - 11-17-2012

Nice updates as usual! I really like the progress you've made on the comp thumbs. This most recent one looks very intriguing.

On that portrait photo study, did you find using a grid to be beneficial? I've tried it a few times and have mixed feelings about it.

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - dwalkerart - 11-17-2012

Great gestures, and studies, your faces are looking natural and your figures seem to have some volume, great job.

xoxo

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - JonHop - 11-18-2012

Nice update sula, looking forward to seeing how this piece turns out! :D

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Laura_H - 11-18-2012

Lovely work Sula, I've been keeping up with your work in here, sorry I haven't been commenting :} Loving the Charlize study!

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Ursula Dorada - 11-19-2012

Woot, thanks guys :D Beware because today the spam is BIG. Not bad for only weekend sketching, I hope.

@Pierce: The grid makes sketching easier, which is turns make me lazier, which resulted in big eyes. I am not really sure how I feel about it as an artist, but I do feel its easier and I can jump faster into paiting.. which was my goal from the start. It can help a ton when youre having a lot of trouble eyeballing stuff.
@Laura: Thanks :D And yay, thanks for watching <3 Don't worry too much about replying hehe. Specially this lasts updates I have been just evolving the same stuff over and over, starts to get hard to get feedback haha.

Anyway.
Huge sketch dump about this last piece. I have a couple of gestures with ref, a lot of gestures sketches without any kind of ref, study for the background, study for the foreground, and a random Loki sketch I worked on after watching Craig Mullin's Gnomon DVD. I was curious to test some stuff, need to try it more. I may end liking it. It was refreshing in comparison to my way-too-tight stuff.

Enough rant, to the pic spam!
[Image: SB-137.jpg]
[Image: SB-138.jpg]

[Image: Satyr-Sketches-01.jpg]
[Image: Satyr-Sketches-02.jpg]
[Image: Satyr-Sketches-03.jpg]
[Image: Satyr-Sketches-04.jpg]
[Image: Satyr-Sketches-05.jpg]
[Image: Satyr-Sketches-06.jpg]
[Image: Satyr-Sketches-07.jpg]
[Image: Satyr-Sketches-08.jpg]
[Image: Satyr-Sketches-09.jpg]
[Image: Satyr-Sketches-10.jpg]
[Image: Satyr-Sketches-11.jpg]

[Image: Salvaged-Sketch-23.jpg]

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Warburton - 11-19-2012

Uuuuurgh, your killing again and it's making me want to kick myself into action. The figure gestures are really nice and have great line work and movement in them. I'm looking forward to seeing your new piece progress ;)

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - ImSkeptical - 11-19-2012

I can see i really need to work on my gestures, your figures are turning out so nice :D

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Ursula Dorada - 11-19-2012

Woot :D Thanks guys!

Here! Haha took me a while longer than expected, but I am slowly starting to put it together. I still need to double check if those gestures are the best ones though:

[Image: Satyr-Sketches-12.jpg]

Now okay. No one can say I didn't have a productive weekend, right?
Off to bed, it's just past midnight :)

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - atrenr - 11-19-2012

Oh man, your gestures and pencil work are just so inspiring! Af48944b

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - EduardoGaray - 11-19-2012

i think i´m in love with your gesture sketches, they look so natural. :D

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - iCi - 11-20-2012

Looking badass, nice comp! I think you'll have some problems resolving those 2 at the back-maybe tilt the farthest to the left a bit, or do something with her legs

pencils rock.

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Ursula Dorada - 11-22-2012

Thanks guys :D

@iCi: Yup, she is being redrawn and the overlap will be reworked :)

I have other responsibilities to attend to but I just wasted my night with this silly thing
[Image: Loki-sketch-03.jpg]

/rant removed, stop whining Sula/

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Wolkenfels - 11-22-2012

Heads up, Ursula! You worked on your pencils and they have progressed tremendeously. Now you have the skills to lay a great base to your paintings. I think you did a smart thing and your paintings will profit from that. Keep going - you have the dedication to rise and shine!

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Ursula Dorada - 11-25-2012

Thanks Wolken <3 Let's see how it goes..

Quick one to unload. trying to work the magic with harder brushes - this is hard. Trying to keep it loose too. I think I will try to do a lot of this quick ones to build a bit of confidence in my brush work. Not really aiming for precision, just to get color right and make my brushwork looser.

Hope it is obvious and it just doesnt just look like a lazy study. I mean, can keep pushing it forever, but I don't know if it is the point?
Maybe I should focus on being precise with the shapes though?

Its is funny how I keep pushing contrast up on my studies though.

[Image: Photo-study-12.jpg]

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Ursula Dorada - 11-27-2012

Silly little sketches seems the only thing I feel like doing nowadays.

I am, however, wrapping up a freelance so I can have free time to go back to my painting.
Procrastinating, however, is pretty bad.

[Image: Salvaged-Sketch-24.jpg]