Crimson Daggers — Art forum
Sula's Sketchbook - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: PERSONAL ARTWORK (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: SKETCHBOOKS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Sula's Sketchbook (/thread-141.html)

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Kronos - 09-23-2013

nice stuff!, I like all your still life stuff

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Lyraina - 09-23-2013

I like how the elf is turning out, I admire your skill for dynamic poses & compositions!

Nice to see your traditional working space, makes me want to dig out my four (?) tubes of oil :) Judging from the photograph, maybe the apple needs a bit more reflected light from the underground?

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - JakeB - 09-24-2013

Oh wow, that last piece is looking insane. Awesome stuff! :D Haven't really got a crit for it, kinda agree with JJ about curving the background though, might be able to frame her a little more aggressively, and really push the comp. Think there was a crimson critters where dave talked about the same kinda thing (gonna have to go find it)

Boom found it - starts around 46 mins (not sure if the link will do that or not) But it's the monster stadium one. Loadsa stuff about using the background to add to movement/composition. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CgXboIrbKec#t=2783

Can't wait to see the final. Oh, and that apple is so good. Keep it coming :D

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Ursula Dorada - 09-25-2013

:D

I am still alive guys, even if slowed down due to stuff I can't post, but let's roll:

@Toonari: Thanks man!
@Kronos: thanks :D
@Lyraina: :hug: Haha it does indeed. I was using this cheap paint I am trying to get rid off, because I simply cannot make a decent glaze with this shit. It's or too thick, or too watered down and grainy. I will be more precise with it as soon as my new and decent paints arrive :D I can't wait, actually.
@Jake: Yay! Thanks for the link man. Yah, I was talking a lot to the people in Oatley's class, and they saved yet another painting of mine heheh.

So huge thanks for Zephiry and Angela Sasser and everyone for the paintover and tips <3
I literally broke down the piece back to sketch phase, but it's working much better now. The value on the magic strip is WAY too close to the background and I am going to fix that, but I need to get to bed now.
[Image: Splash-Illy-color04.jpg]

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - iCi - 09-25-2013

Loving it all the way! Try adding more rocks flying around and making a bigger mess :)

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Ursula Dorada - 09-27-2013

@iCi: Thanks man :D Ill try them!

And yay for amateur painting. HOW DOES THIS EVEN WORKS
(oh let me add the underpainting here, it was.. nicer haha)
[Image: Acrylics-10a.jpg]
[Image: Acrylics-10.jpg]

(haha DAMN it looks even worst when I turn the lights off :p )

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Ursula Dorada - 09-28-2013

Screw this cheap paint thing

[Image: Salvaged-Sketch-47.jpg]

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Lyraina - 09-28-2013

Dont' be so hard on you with the traditional stuff.. I'm sure you'll get the grip of it soon (with better paints! :P )

Portrait is nice, is it rude to ask an elf if I might tough their ears? So lovely :O

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - zephyri - 09-28-2013

Hey Sula! Looking good with the update to the extreme perspective piece, glad the paintover helped reignite your passion for it cause it's got something! I'd still say maybe take a look at the actual shapes the magic is making.. they're currently very repetitive but not in a good way - how could you improve them to help add to the drama and lead the eye around more? Making them more wiggly could add visual interest too - just some thoughts! As for the traditional media, Lyraina's right, don't feel too bad... traditional - especially something as less forgiving as Acrylic - can be hard to really wrap your head around. There's a watercolour artist I have a couple of books by called Zoltan Szabo - one of them is a book on which colours you should mix with which to keep your colour pure. You might find it useful, it's called something like Color by Color. Roses are actually pretty tough to paint too, as they're so translucent, they have all kinds of colours running through the red, so as an early effort don't feel too bad with your work!

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Ursula Dorada - 09-30-2013

@Lyraina: <3 Hehe I can't wait for my paints to get here. My order finally went through today :) 10 days and counting! And touch away haha <3
@Zephiry: thanks :) I'll need to let the piece go for now, unfortunately :( It's not working, I have dumped a lot of hours into it and it's just a mess. And seems I won't have free time for a while now. I tried to finish it this weekend but not luck, so placing it to rest.
And haha I was thinking if it was worth describing the problem with the paints being cheap (basically they are either too transparent or grainy, or they just are too opaque and does not spread as it should.) but it worked back in the workshop on imaginism, so I am ordering the same brand I used there. That should do it :) (or so I hope). And I will look for the book, thanks :D

Here, today's sketch.
If I keep it one color only it doesnt suck so much.
[Image: Acrylics-11.jpg]

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - ramalooke - 10-02-2013

Damn, I always wanted to learn traditional medium. Had one or two failed attempts. Can't figure out how to approach this. So my respects for you, love how those paintings come along and I'm waiting for more. Cheers!

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Ursula Dorada - 10-13-2013

@Rama: Yay thank you Rama :D

Now that I got better quality paints, going to try the rose painting again. So far the underpainting!

[Image: Acrylics-12.jpg]

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Elif - 10-13-2013

Woah, I really love that elf portrait, the colors and light look great! Also, good luck for the rose this time! Kick that thorny ass! :D

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Ursula Dorada - 10-14-2013

@Elif: Thank you :D

Here, Sula's ordinary adventures painting boring stuff. Still a wip - this paints dries slower than the previos one, so I still need to go through one layer of shadow/light -still. it's already looking much better than the other one :)

[Image: Acrylics-13.jpg]

Now, painting a face with this must be a torture. I can't wait to try it :B

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Ursula Dorada - 10-15-2013

Slow and steady....
Time for the next one I guess :)

[Image: Acrylics-14.jpg]

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Ursula Dorada - 10-16-2013

[Image: Salvaged-Sketch-48.jpg]

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Wolkenfels - 10-16-2013

awww - great light on the last one, Sula. And of course i am in awe of everyone that can do anything in traditional. i cannot live without the undo function. ;)

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Ursula Dorada - 10-17-2013

@Wolken: thank man <3 It is deeply relaxing, actually, you should try it. You won't miss the undo nearly as much as you miss zoom haha ;)

[Image: Salvaged-Sketch-49.jpg]

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Lyraina - 10-17-2013

Aah, I missed your digi sketches - lovely light, especially on the elf one :)
Now, on to a traditional portrait? :>

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - TristanGuts - 10-22-2013

yeeah it's time for a trad portrait! Great work on the digital ones, especially on the lighting setups... so we're eager to see a tryout!
Keep up on pushing the limits of your comfort zone like you've been doing lately. Cheers!