Crimson Daggers — Art forum
Sula's Sketchbook - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: PERSONAL ARTWORK (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: SKETCHBOOKS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Sula's Sketchbook (/thread-141.html)

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - smrr - 02-21-2014

So much hard work and good stuff! I keep scrolling up and down and back up again!

Sounds like Oatley's class is really something else, these scenes you've created for "homework" are wonderful <3

Also, just quietly: thank you a ton for the AD interview on Muddy colours--! No really, I've been searching for advice like this for a millennium!

Keep up the great work, o/ !

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Brobossa - 02-21-2014

Amaizing stuff! :O
Professional level here. Yep.

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Tygerson - 02-21-2014

Love the colors on the deer painting!

And thanks for the comment--I think i figured out the fuzzy shadow thing.

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - devinn - 02-21-2014

I'm still trying to get over the fact that you are a full time freelancer now!!!! I aspire to be you someday...just...just PM me your social security number and mail me your birth certificate...

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Madzia - 02-21-2014

Your progress is unbelievable. Your getting better every week! Keep it up!

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Kaffer - 02-21-2014

Oatley's class must be nuts! That no-opacity blending looks awesome, real nice freshness to them.. plus I figure it must build color sense!

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Ursula Dorada - 02-22-2014

Woo <3 thanks guys!

@Smrrfette: Thank you <3 Haha Oatley's class is set to hard mode this time around, but its already rewarding. And oh, that article was amazing! She even said actual prices out loud :O Cheers for that!

@Brobossa: thanks <3

@Tygerson: :D I hope it helps! There is a difference of what is a cast shadow, how far it is from what is casting, and sharp turns in planes of the face itself.

@Mannyhaatz: hahaha xD I don't even have those on Brazil but made me laugh anyway hahah

@Madzia: Woot :D Thank you!

@Kaffer: haha yeah, it's set to hard-mode intense this time around. But we can already see the benefits :D It was a painful way to see how off my color sense was.

Update! Little wip. Lots going to change still, but I think I getting the brushs to work for me, not against me like all the other times :p
[Image: CK-RPG-03.jpg]

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Ursula Dorada - 02-23-2014

:D
Moving forward! Now that is blocked, lots of refining:

[Image: CK-RPG-04.jpg]

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Nexuun - 02-23-2014

Really beautiful and simple rendering on your latest one. Nice mood the colors are creating, as well.

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Flo - 02-23-2014

Hey Sula,

the piece is turning out great, I cant wait to see the final version.

What do you do with the no - opacity blended version? Do you work from those or are they just for practice / comp? It is funny that at my work, we do that no opacity thing to quiet regularly. I didn't know it was a "thing" ^^

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - smrr - 02-23-2014

Oh my goodness, its looking absolutely gorgeous!!

Now that you have more time to work on your art.. Ah! There's just no stopping you! :D

Far out, can't wait to see post refinement!

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Bjulvar - 02-24-2014

Daang what an evocative piece you're paintng there Sula! Twas a while ago since I dropped by here, but there's been some serious leveling up going on! I can't wait to see it refined if that's just the block in. Almost found it hard to believe :P

You're doing great! :D

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - DoubleThink - 02-24-2014

Looking good!

That one tree is a whole lot darker than the rest of the piece though..
But still, beatiful colors :-)

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - EduardoGaray - 02-24-2014

I've been following that King deer spirit illustration and i have to say its getting awesome.
Indeed, the colors are really good, its pleasant to look at them. :)
You could try making the shadows cooler and the lights in the foreground more warm, that would be a nice touch i think.

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Ursula Dorada - 02-24-2014

Woot :D Thanks a lot guys <3

@Nexuun: Thank you! <3

@Flo: Thanks! And yeah, well, yep? It's very hard to get the color on the painting right without opacity and without using color picker from the source. Figuring out how one color transition to the other was very hard to me. Glad you have been doing it for a while, your color perception must be great! I intend on doing it quite a bit more from now on. From life too! yay

@Smrrffette: Woot :D Thank you!

@Bjulvar: Yay! Thanks man!

@Doublethink: It was! I tried to keep the contrast where it was supposed to be, hopefully it's working now!

@Eduardo: Thanks man :D Yup, was the plan. Maybe it's showing more now?

Shout out to Jaik who sent me an awesome paintover! Thanks man <3

This is probably the final, but only signing it tomorrow. Have to through client hands before calling it final :)

[Image: CK-RPG-05.jpg]

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Veneq - 02-24-2014

Mmmm... liking this one quite a bit!

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Wolkenfels - 02-24-2014

lovely picture, Sula. Glad to read all those entries where explain what you learned here and there. Hope you enjoy making the progress!
Regarding the painting - it looks a bit like the big Deer is looking too far to the left and looking not to that hunter. Like he is ignoring it a bit.
Sorry for critique it late but i only just realized what was bothering me about it.

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Lyraina - 02-25-2014

Man Sula, you really are killing it! (And I don't mean the poor deer)
I love how that piece came out. I think it could benefit from pushing color and value contrasts a tiny little bit more in the focal areas (hunter and deer king) though, so that those come out stronger than the not-so-interesting parts like the lit tree foliage.

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - crackedskull - 02-25-2014

Illustration is looking awesome, keep posting those sweet updates, this is one of my favourite SB's for sure :D

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Ursula Dorada - 02-25-2014

Oh whoa guys, thank you again! :D

@Veneq: Thank you man :D
@Wolken: D'oh! AWESOME spot man, thanks for the feedback! I can't change it now since it was approved by the client but D'OH I keep doing that. Going to write it down so I don't forget it: STOP MAKING YOUR CHARACTERS STARE AT THE VIEWER. Silly Sula.
@Lyraina: <3 Thank you!
@Crackedskull: Thanks man :hug:

Some studies based on Ed Li's dev sketchs Painting Drama 2 addresses depth - I am in for a wild ride hehe. Maybe finally figure out enviros if I do this right!

[Image: SB-246.jpg]