Crimson Daggers — Art forum
Sula's Sketchbook - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: PERSONAL ARTWORK (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: SKETCHBOOKS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Sula's Sketchbook (/thread-141.html)

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Ursula Dorada - 09-16-2014

@Smrrfette: grrrrrrl you have no idea how much I want to go back to practice! :( I'm posting most of what I do, except for a few sketches/watercolor (very LAME watercolors haha) that are going straight into instagram :p
@Jaik: woo! Thanks man! And haha not a chance, it's just a desk lamp. The light from the window is very subdued behind the easel. I need to built courage and try a naturally lit one sometime :O

Here is one of the things I have been doing to warmup to Inktober, and posting on instragram:

[Image: Ink14-01.jpg]

Here is the link to the instagram, if you're into that :) http://instagram.com/ursuladorada

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Ursula Dorada - 09-20-2014

Ups and downs, this is very tricky stuff.
[Image: Ink14-02.jpg]
[Image: Ink14-03.jpg]

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Ursula Dorada - 09-22-2014

[Image: Salvaged-Sketch-96.jpg]
[Image: Salvaged-Sketch-97.jpg]

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - ramalooke - 09-23-2014

Saw some of this stuff on facebook. But most of this was lost in my facebook feed. Y U NO show me this facebook WHY, WHY D= ?! But yeah. Awesome stuff. Grim reaper piece is simply badass. I think I have to stick more to this forum so I won't miss any updates from you. Keep it up~!

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Ursula Dorada - 09-24-2014

@Rama: oooh dang! The link on the signature is wrong I guess? I'll fix that lol. I'll try to keep this updated as well :)

So yeah. I watched Attack on Titan. Too little, too fast, I loved it, I want more, I'm having trouble letting it go. I need to work haha! I figured sketching this would let me focus, I'll let you guys know it works :x

[Image: Salvaged-Sketch-98.jpg]

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Lyraina - 09-25-2014

Oh my, you're hitting those inks hard! Soooo looking forward to seeing what you'll be doing in inktober <3
Sailor Moon's Head looks a bit small to me compared to her body, but maybe that's just perspective, or that I'm too used to big headed anime girls, haha. Great attitude she has in that pic though.
Awesome perspective in that last sketch O_O

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - meat - 09-26-2014

Ohhh, you're on the Titan ship now too! There's no escape...

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Ursula Dorada - 09-27-2014

@Lyraina: haha thanks, it's a mess indeed, I was just high on the music I guess <3
@Meat: who me? Attack on titan? Why do you ask? *wearing the scout regiment cloak*

:B
More testing to inktober (still digital)
[Image: Ink14-05.jpg]
[Image: Salvaged-Sketch-99.jpg]

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - DK - 09-28-2014

love what you're doin there in that last one. I know it's mostly just an experiment but the nose could use a little more definition and by definition I mean just a few more lines here and there, and the eye on her left could be raised up just a little to balance things out. This style is pretty damn awesome, though.

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - pnate - 09-28-2014

Gorgeous ink work on that last digital sketch. Excited for Inktober! :)

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Ursula Dorada - 09-29-2014

@Dennis: yay! Thank you. I'm liking this lines thing more than I though I would - not sure where to go with it though. The whole head would be a bit tilted to the side, but I messed up the head shape and now she has uneven eyes haha! but thank you! I'm always lost when and where to put details on the face, I'm going to do some research on that. And hopefully finally fix my still-kinda-awkward drawings :)

@pnate: <3 YESS me too!

Here is some experiments. Easier to see what works and what not this way. Any options you guys like? I think 3 and 7 are my favs.

[Image: Ink14-06.jpg]

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Adrian - 09-29-2014

Damn , love the inks in #1182 so much ... the angles on her face , the way you did her hair ! Orc is super nice too.

And #1188 is super awesome ... I think that part of you felt that she should be looking straight at us and that's why you probably did it that way forgetting about the eyes. The striking look she has is like that kind of "looking through your soul , unimpressed" look. That kind of look almost demands a straight head position. (at least that's what I feel)

I like #6 and #7 . Don't really know how crosshatching works .. but if it's not meant to follow the form then I'd say #7 is the better one.

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - DK - 09-29-2014

Are these inking experiments? I like 1, 6, 7. Maybe 6 could have a few bolder lines/edges like 7 but still keep the thinner shading lines? Hmm, not sure how that would look actually. I do like 7 probably the best, the thick hatching style is really nice, especially how it's done in the previous post, also that coloring style just fits so perfectly with it. I think 5 seems the easiest to color, since there is very little hatching in that one, with a lot of color space to work with, and the thinnest of the lines.

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - ones - 10-01-2014

sula i have a question about those black and white thumbnail composition sketches, is there a tutorial on how to do those properly somewhere. i would like to incorporate them into my studies but i would like to make sure im doing them properly

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Lyraina - 10-02-2014

I like 3 for a nice variety of both design-lines and also line weight. 6 is pretty appealing too, but feeling more "light" and just different, less focus on single lines. 7 does not read as a 3d form to me, but more as if it was a kind of relief (like you would have on a coin - do you know what I mean?), probably due to the placement of heavier lines. 5 is nice and clean and would work as a base for colors and stuff, but doesn't really call much attention to the lines itself.

Lines and technique aside, I'm not sure if a girl with arms as trained as in 1 and 2 (and also 4 to some extent) would have such a thin upper body/waist? Would think she'd have some more muscles around her stomach or obliques as well. Not sure if this is true or not, but for this reason the armored arms work better for me.

Really liking the girl in #1188 :) Can't wait to see all your inktober greatness!

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Ursula Dorada - 10-06-2014

@Adrian: thank you and thanks for the feedback! (I still have no clue how crosshatching works haha it's THOUGH ugh)

@Dennis: yes they are! I was trying to do the digital thing on paper, and DAMN man. This inktober is exposing all my weakness! Thank you for the feedback, I'll keep poking at it! Not sure If I'm worried about color JUST YET, I just want lines working. And hatching is scary HAHA

@Ones: That technique is Picked from Chris Oatley's Painting Drama class: http://chrisoatley.com/pd1g3stellar/ I highly recommend it :) It was a game changer for me.

@Lyraina: ooh yeah, that is the problem with 7, you nailed it o.o thank you! And that is a nice point about her anatomy. I'll keep that in mind :) It was just a quick sketch, but STILL, i shouldn't be letting those slip by.

Anthony Jone's mentorship on enviro design with Kalen Chock kicking in. First class tomorrow, we had pre-class assigments :)

[Image: 01.jpg]
[Image: 02.jpg]
[Image: 03.jpg]
[Image: 04.jpg]
[Image: 05.jpg]
[Image: 06.jpg]
[Image: 07.jpg]

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Lyraina - 10-06-2014

OH you're taking Kalen's class? Awesome! I'm sure you'll learn a ton, he's a great teacher from what I could see. Looking forward to see what you're going to do for his class!
Better not put down the oxygen mask too early in that last enviro, but I'd like to go exploring there... always watch your values though; especially in pieces with lots of atmosphere - so you don't have any spots of too dark values in the far background, killing your depth. Switching on color proof to see the values, then paint with a lighten or lighter color layer on top is a super-quick way to check and fix this even late in the process. (As I'm sure Kalen will show/tell you :P)

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Ursula Dorada - 10-09-2014

@Lyr: ooh thank you for the feedback! He didn't mentioned the values, but that was because he didn't has time to give me feedback on that specific piece. So thanks <3

Here are the revisions after feedback:
[Image: 08.jpg]
[Image: 09.jpg]

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Wolkenfels - 10-09-2014

great stuff, Sula!
While the last series is a lot more refined i still think that the first go on the fungue-picture had a better feeling of scale. Love what you are doing here!

RE: Sula's Sketchbook - Craig Paton - 10-10-2014

Really love that girl with the scarf Inktober sketch, very stylish, really cool.

Envious that you're taking part in Anthony Jones mentorship, please keep us posted as to how you get on with that. :)