Crimson Daggers — Art forum
Angies sketchbook of stuff and things - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: PERSONAL ARTWORK (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: SKETCHBOOKS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Angies sketchbook of stuff and things (/thread-2091.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: Angies sketchbook of stuff and things - Angel_Intheuk - 06-18-2016

a commission I got last week for someones husband...

RE: Angies sketchbook of stuff and things - Angel_Intheuk - 06-23-2016

couple of pen sketches of Gunner and Scarlett from Nashville, my former guilty pleasure...the colour one is after I read a great tutorial by Stephen Silver on shapes in character design, I made sure I checked all the points as well as I could ...here's the link: http://blog.artella.com/post/144857918261/5-essentials-elements-for-creating-appealing?utm_content=buffer9889d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

and some brush pen doodles of an idea for the one page comic crucible contest, probably won't enter but I might if I get something together, I chose Average Dragons...

RE: Angies sketchbook of stuff and things - Angel_Intheuk - 06-29-2016

Been busy with commission this last week, not complaining but it meant I couldn't finish the one page comic for the Crimson Crucible :( such a shame, I was really enjoying it and probably could have finished but I ran into some narrative issues and ran out of time. Anyway here's the commissions (watercolour), update on Max Landis and the unfinished 'average dragons' panel...

RE: Angies sketchbook of stuff and things - Adam Lina - 06-29-2016

I really like how you exaggerated the two guys on the far right with the american flags behind them. Nice average dragon comic. Too bad it wasnt done in time :(

RE: Angies sketchbook of stuff and things - Angel_Intheuk - 07-16-2016

Thanks Adam! :D I do enjoy a good watercolour caricature commission :D and I wish I'd finished the comic in time too, I will when I have a free moment..

--------------

I had a free moment yesterday but I decided to do the Character Design Challenge on FB instead, it's got some top talent on there if you haven't found it yet... https://www.facebook.com/groups/CharacterDesignChallenge/

The theme this month is Geisha/Samurai. I chose Geisha and thought a cute fennic fox would make a good one, I'm liking the design. Here's the sketches and wip, any suggestions of course would be most welcome. :D

RE: Angies sketchbook of stuff and things - Angel_Intheuk - 07-17-2016

Wip for my fennic fox geisha..

RE: Angies sketchbook of stuff and things - Angel_Intheuk - 07-20-2016

I think I've finished the Geisha Character Design, I might make some adjustments next week when I have time. I tried to have a balance between finished and sketchy but not sure I got it right, might have pushed it too far on the face, needs more suggested details rather than fine ones...

RE: Angies sketchbook of stuff and things - Angel_Intheuk - 07-23-2016

Decided after looking at the Geisha today that it was too overworked and stiff and I was in danger of losing the character, which is not what you want in a character design. So I restarted and am going to keep it lose..lets see if I can haha..

RE: Angies sketchbook of stuff and things - Angel_Intheuk - 07-25-2016

Update on the Geisha WIP...still not overdone..yet!

Also a picture of a caricature I did for someones retirement from a company in New York, they really liked it, he apparently got emotional, feels like a good contact to have for possible future work. :)

also also...just read Steve Lichman vol.1 :D soooo fucking good, like film quality story with such good dialogue :D
also also also...My Squishy posing like a boss (p.s if anyone wants any free high quality references of my dragon please pm me, I'll be happy to oblige)

RE: Angies sketchbook of stuff and things - Eyliana - 07-25-2016

Cool stuff! I really liked the average dragon comic, would love to see that finished :)

And I have a question about the watercolour portraits, how do you do the skin tones?
Is it all done at onces, wet-in-wet or do you layer over it.

RE: Angies sketchbook of stuff and things - DK - 07-26-2016

That geisha wip turnin out quite nice.

RE: Angies sketchbook of stuff and things - Angel_Intheuk - 07-26-2016

Thanks very much Elyiana! :D I feel spurred on to finish the comic, I have so much to do I hope I can do it this weekend though :D

Thanks for the question. It's a bit of both really, I lightly soak the skin areas and go over with an ochre/yellow/red mix (leaving the highlights white) then let it dry a bit til it's damp and do the red areas round the edges of the cheeks and nose (if it's too dry the edges won't blur enough but just adding a little more water will help, just not too much as it'll give you a white patch) and then I usually use that same red for the lips. Then when dry I go over the shadow areas with a light watery purple, let it dry again and then touch up any bits that have dried too light. I hope that makes sense I just realised I don't really talk about my process at all ;)

Cheers Dennis! :D Fingers crossed I can keep it that way!

RE: Angies sketchbook of stuff and things - Eyliana - 07-26-2016

Thanks Angel :)
It makes sense. I have been struggling with skin tones for a while now, most of the time I make them too opaque/dark because I add too many layers trying to fix things. I'll give this approach a try.
Thank you ^^

RE: Angies sketchbook of stuff and things - Angel_Intheuk - 07-29-2016

You're very welcome Eyliana :) watercolours are easy to mess up, a good base for skin tone is a yellow ochre/yellow mix for white skin tones and more of a red base for black skin and then put the reds where the blood is closer to the skin, the nose, the cheeks, lips and the corners of the eyes, a good tip I learnt along the way is to put a bit of blue/green along the jawline and chin (with an emphasis on the blue on blokes to show stubble) and keep the forehead a yellow tone. I learnt a lot from Schoolism courses I did by Jason Seiler and Thomas Fluharty, if you can afford them, they do have a subscription fee now which is a bit cheaper. I'm sure there's more around but those are the best painters I know of offering courses.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
p.s guys.. I'm trying to raise some money (unexpected bills came in :() so I'm selling some art books if anyone is interested? I will post internationally...

http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-7773.html

RE: Angies sketchbook of stuff and things - Artloader - 07-29-2016

Wow Angel_Intheuk! Your caricatures are fantastic! I too love the geisha.

Looking forward to more :)

RE: Angies sketchbook of stuff and things - Angel_Intheuk - 07-29-2016

Hi Artloader..thanks very much :D :D

-----

Finished the Geisha, I tried to use a variety of brushes this time, instead of just no.24 and hard round. I used the pencil and soft round mostly and hard round for the details. I'm quite happy with how it turned out.

RE: Angies sketchbook of stuff and things - Angel_Intheuk - 08-03-2016

Been playing around with the pencil brush in Ps and really loving the texture. So I went back and worked on Max a bit with it...

RE: Angies sketchbook of stuff and things - Angel_Intheuk - 08-06-2016

Still not got Max's face right, decided to do a sculpt (went badly) and another digital sketch while watching Dave's Orc tutorial and using some of his brushes (went better)...

RE: Angies sketchbook of stuff and things - Angel_Intheuk - 08-07-2016

update on Max playaround...

RE: Angies sketchbook of stuff and things - Angel_Intheuk - 08-08-2016

Finished the second sketch of Max...