Crimson Daggers — Art forum
MF's SB. - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: PERSONAL ARTWORK (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: SKETCHBOOKS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: MF's SB. (/thread-3078.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: MF's SB. - Matthias Kinnigkeit - 09-17-2013

Man, I`m always impressed by the diversity of your skillset. Very cool updates as usual and as always inspirering.

You recommended to me once the matte surface rendering dvds from Gnomon. I plan to make the one-year-abo at their side and wanted to ask you about your experiences with their stuff. Do you have an abo, too and do you think it´s worth the money? To me it appeared to be a great thing, I just thought I might ask sb. who could have some first hand experiences with their material.

And there is another question if you don´t mind. Can you actually pay your bills doing this stuff already or do you not try to get work yet? I´m just curious because I just have a rather unclear idea of the level you need to have, in order to be able to support yourself by doing freelance conceptart or illustration.

But yeah very cool stuff as always! Sry that I can´t really leave you any usefull comment or crit or sth. ;)

RE: MF's SB. - MrFrenik - 09-17-2013

Hey Matthias, thanks for the compliments and comments. I don't quite understand what you mean by "abo", but I do recommend the Gnomon DVD's, especially the Scott Robertson ones.

I'm not supporting myself currently with freelance work, but that is definitely the dream eventually. :)

Got commissioned to a promo illustration for a DOTA 2 character item model. Here are the thumbs and the 3 final color sketches I came up with tonight.

RE: MF's SB. - CoreyH - 09-18-2013

Great work as always, really like version 2 of the dwarf, nice dynamic looking angle

RE: MF's SB. - Matthias Kinnigkeit - 09-18-2013

Cool, thanks for the answer. Yeah my mistake, I guess you don´t say abonnement in english. I was refering to the subscription option that they offer at their webside. You can subscribe for 500$ and gain access to all their dvds for 1 Year.
I agree with CoreyH, I also really like the second pose.

RE: MF's SB. - EduardoGaray - 09-19-2013

i agree with Corey and Matthias, #2 is the best, but #3 has potential too.
Looking forward to see final illustration!

RE: MF's SB. - MrFrenik - 09-20-2013

EduardoGaray - Thanks, I went ahead with #2.

Matthias Kinnigkeit
- Oh, I gotcha. I actually speak a bit of French, so I should've picked up on that too, ha. Oh well, guess not good enough. I didn't realize that they did a subscription though, so if you think there are enough vids that you'd be interested in, it'd probably be more cost efficient for you to do that.

CoreyH - Thanks, man!

Went with #2. Here's a WIP shot.

RE: MF's SB. - Bjulvar - 09-21-2013

Yeah, sniper is looking mighty fine man! Looks like you brought in more of the composition from thumbnail #1, which I actually liked the most. Feels more personal and portrait-like. Right now he's a bit crammed in the left edge and that leaves some negative space to the right. You could probably balance that out more.
Looking forward to seeing it finished!

RE: MF's SB. - MrFrenik - 09-22-2013

Bjulvar - Yeah, I've started it with some initial ideas in mind to fill in space with something in the background, but now I'm not so sure what to put. Just need to think about it more.

Here's another WIP. Detailing and possible BG and I'll be done.

RE: MF's SB. - MrFrenik - 09-24-2013

Calling this one finished and client is happy. W00t!

RE: MF's SB. - Ignatz - 09-24-2013

Hey MrFrenik. This last piece turned out great. My only crit would have been to angle the gun up to break that horizontal line that currently runs through the image starting at his elbow. Diagonals are always more interesting and I think it would have broken up that empty space on the right in a more interesting way. But hey, if the client was happy it's all good :)

RE: MF's SB. - MrFrenik - 09-24-2013

I totally agree, Ignatz, and I fought with it through the whole thing. The comp had to be a certain way and the main focus was to showcase the item set, so the gun couldn't be cropped out of it. In the end I had to sacrifice a little bit of dynamic for overall presentation. Thanks for the comments!

RE: MF's SB. - MrFrenik - 09-29-2013

Pepé le chat - a painting for my girlfriend's bday. He isn't too thrilled with the costume choice.

RE: MF's SB. - MrFrenik - 09-29-2013

sketch

RE: MF's SB. - JakeB - 09-29-2013

Dude, these last two posts look awesome. The rendering in the cat piece is great, and I love the idea of the mermaid one. You gonna push that into an illustration?

RE: MF's SB. - MrFrenik - 09-30-2013

Thanks, Jake. I'm planning on it, so we'll see where it goes.

Color thumb for previous sketch

RE: MF's SB. - MrFrenik - 10-02-2013

study

RE: MF's SB. - JakeB - 10-03-2013

Ooooooooo yeah, this is gonna be a good one :) Nice colours dude, if you can keep them that powerful as you render it out, it'll be so good. Looking forward to it.

RE: MF's SB. - MrFrenik - 10-04-2013

sketch before bed

RE: MF's SB. - crackedskull - 10-04-2013

Those brushstrokes make me warm inside. Keep it up.

RE: MF's SB. - Bjulvar - 10-04-2013

Damn man, that new illustration is looking tasty. Took me a while to see that the sketch showed three windows and not three thumbnails haha. Really strong atmophere in it, I think it would add a lot if you had some colorful fish in there later!