Crimson Daggers — Art forum
An actual quality how to draw book for young teens. - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: STUDY GROUP (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: COMMUNITY CHALLENGES (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-46.html)
+---- Forum: SUMMER PITCH (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-66.html)
+---- Thread: An actual quality how to draw book for young teens. (/thread-3389.html)

An actual quality how to draw book for young teens. - OtherMuzz - 06-27-2013

So this is something that has been brewing in the back of my mind for a while. A how to draw book where anyone who actually knows anything doesn't cringe like hell when we look at it.

The idea is to make a book in direct competitions of the likes of Christopher hart, in terms of it is supposed to be a cheap fairly short book that relatives will buy a kid as a shitty Christmas present because they heard they like drawing. But it will be peer reviewed by professional artists, and contain strong fundamentals.

The more i think about it the harder i realize it is going to be, as i want to punch in as many fundamentals as i can, but still be straightforward, and provide a perfect basis in which the kids then can jump to traditional drawing texts. I'm not really thinking too much about how i would get it published, whether crowd sourcing is a valid solution after i have it written, or to approach traditional publishers.

So far I'm making this thread as a commitment to get it done.

Essentially it's going to be the opposite of this

[Image: C4SVqOD.jpg?1]

Ok the goals.
  • To be approachable by absolute beginners
  • Inspire creativity
  • Promote good drawing habits, squash bad (petting lines ect)
  • layout a simple but solid foundation of fundamentals
  • Not look too adult or difficult that an adult will not buy it for their
  • draw characters of varied ethnicities and genders. I don't want to make it a big issue, but maybe have a character that is subtly gay? And avoid stupid stereotypes like "dumb kid" "glamorous teen".

Specific non goals
  • it won't teach colour theory
  • It won't compete with the likes of the traditional life drawing

[/hr]

Another concern that i have is that i am not good enough, but i hope to circumvent that with peer reviewing and iteration on all the drawings.

RE: An actual quality how to draw book for young teens. - OtherMuzz - 06-27-2013

Started writing it in google docs, so far all the drawings are going to be placeholder, and the text will be far more verbose than the final.

I think it is far easier to condense complex text than to expand simple text.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10efhHO6l4rE8VjbMiiLic0-hX4-BUsb-jP9gg7JDPK8/edit

RE: An actual quality how to draw book for young teens. - MissLillyArt - 06-27-2013

This is a really awesome idea! I used how to draw books when I was a lot younger, and I picked up some terrible drawing habits from them. I don't know how half of them even made it to publication.

RE: An actual quality how to draw book for young teens. - OtherMuzz - 06-27-2013

I think its because most serious attempts have been seen as too complicated for kids by the publishers, and thus don't make it through.

Learning how to draw a shitty drawing is nowhere near as daunting as learning to draw something well.

I think the hardest thing will be to make drawings which are approachable but also teach good habits.

RE: An actual quality how to draw book for young teens. - SpectreX - 06-27-2013

Great idea!
Really hope it will work out and that you find a publisher ^^

Good luck!

RE: An actual quality how to draw book for young teens. - Madzia - 06-28-2013

I recently watched http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctkRwRDdajo Betty Edwards - Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain. She explains drawing really good for someone who never had contact before with art. Also it make ME realize how different I see world in comparison to non-artists. Maybe this will give you some ideas for topics to prepare :)

RE: An actual quality how to draw book for young teens. - OtherMuzz - 06-28-2013

That's a great idea, I'm watching it now. ( i should probably sleep though haha)

I've got a pretty decent idea about how people draw in symbols but it's helpful to learn other ideas on the subject.

RE: An actual quality how to draw book for young teens. - Heavenwill - 06-28-2013

That's a really cool idea Muz :p Can't wait to see more of this

RE: An actual quality how to draw book for young teens. - Damien Levs - 06-28-2013

Man, yes! This is a really good idea. I hope we get to read some, I might learn some stuff. Looking forward to this!

RE: An actual quality how to draw book for young teens. - Rognoll - 07-05-2013

Kickass idea! I wish I could come up with some good stuff for this summer pitch.

BTW, The tick rules.

RE: An actual quality how to draw book for young teens. - OtherMuzz - 07-05-2013

I need to do more work on this, I'm just focusing on getting everything ready for this job interview on Tuesday though.

:)

I am having second thoughts about whether i am actually good enough to make such a book, maybe a better approach is to do the bulk of the writing work but also outsource a bunch of work on it to better artists. Focus on making it a collective input of knowledge of pro's and not just one.

RE: An actual quality how to draw book for young teens. - Rognoll - 07-05-2013

Good luck with that, dude!

RE: An actual quality how to draw book for young teens. - EduardoGaray - 07-08-2013

i wasted a lot of money on useless how to draw books when i was younger and innocent so i wish you the best of luck with this project! Also, good luck with that interview!