Crimson Daggers — Art forum
Crackbook - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: PERSONAL ARTWORK (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: SKETCHBOOKS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Crackbook (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Crackbook - crackedskull - 02-13-2014

Day 10: 1h done

Wanted to finish the piece so I rushed, but that just cant be done. Will have to work on it more, I really want to give it my best shot.

RE: Crackbook - smrr - 02-13-2014

Holy balls, cracked!! Schwamp Elderh is looking schweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!
Absolutely killer concept the the rendering is looking great already

Keep it up man, can't wait 'til it's done!

RE: Crackbook - crackedskull - 02-14-2014

Day 11: 1h done

Thank you Smrr :)

Damn it, fell for the procastination today, wish there was a little demon that would punch me when this happens.

RE: Crackbook - crackedskull - 02-15-2014

Day 12: 3h done

Im done with the Bloodsport entry.

RE: Crackbook - Archreux - 02-15-2014

Hey man, I'm liking how your BS piece turned out. Great job! The mood is probably my favorite thing about it, you did a damn good job of capturing that.

Also, that other sorta of sketchy business beside your lizard studies looks totally awsome. :DD

RE: Crackbook - crackedskull - 02-17-2014

Day 13: 0h done
Day 14: 1.3h schoolwork, 1h art done

Thanks Arch, just thought I'd use a similar composition and try something similar.

Tried a different way of working in this livestudy.

RE: Crackbook - crackedskull - 02-18-2014

Day 15: 2.5h artwork done.

Bunch of quick stuff, really have been in trouble with my workflow.

RE: Crackbook - crackedskull - 02-19-2014

Day 16: 1h done

Fleshed out the concept more.

RE: Crackbook - crackedskull - 02-20-2014

Day 17: 30m schoolwork, 1h30m artwork done.

Probably have to depict many shots of slums, alley's, streets and cities, so I tried out some studies and then some photobashing. Photobashing is like dark force in start wars.

RE: Crackbook - crackedskull - 02-22-2014

Day 18: 0h done
Day 19: 3h done

Ughh poses are frustrating.

Made a good progress with a character.

RE: Crackbook - Madzia - 02-22-2014

haha if something is frustrating it means it's good for you :D I'm always concern when thins going too smoothly, it most likely means i'm doing something wrong xD

RE: Crackbook - crackedskull - 02-24-2014

Agreed with that Madzia, thanks for the visit.

Day 20: 1h done
Redrew the mouth and glasses a ton of times, sort of fixed the shadows, its a mess.

Day 21: 2h done

Still havent pulled through the comfort, but I'm not giving up. Gonna keep trying 3h a day until the end of the month and then set a new goal.

RE: Crackbook - EduardoGaray - 02-24-2014

sup! that giant chameleon for the bloodsports was looking nice.
I overall see a good amount of work here, have you though about focusing on one single area you want to improve? Making a specific goal is often the shortest way to improve.
For example, lets say you want to improve your lineart and figure drawing, then first start focusing on gesture drawing, focus only on that, do hundreds of gestures. Then go for proportions, the same just focus on that, it would be like dividing an enormous task into lots of smaller more doable ones.
Just a suggestion! Keep rocking!

RE: Crackbook - BaZoOkaPoOka - 02-25-2014

Hey there crack, I think you are a pretty smart guy. You have a lot of ideas and put a ton of effort into art. Your crosshatching drawings are really wonderful. Seeing that, I know you can do really well if you focus on less. You are doing a lot of things but everything is a big lack of fundamentals. I did the same thing as you until I looked back on a year worth of work and compared it to what everyone else was doing and realized I really wasted all my time. Pretty much everybody beated my year of working a ton within 3 months and they were only working casually. It was because I tried to do too much and felt rushed and wanted to be a great artist already so I can get out of my bad life situation.

It was quite painful when someone looked at my work and told me " sorry I don't see how any of this is helping you improve" though it also gave me the drive I needed to finally do things right and happy that someone out there was dead honest after a whole year.

I think you should just forget about everything and start all over again. A great place to start is with your drawing skills and crosshatching. You are already pretty good at it. You can stick to just those two things and and still do pretty much what you are doing now. You still would be learning a lot like perspective, light, visual library, anatomy, composition, etc . There is just so much that goes into everything and I think you are tackling way too much for your level. You focus on less and get good at something , and it will give you the confidence to stick to it because you will really see the improvement everyday.

Check out people's sketchbooks and ask yourself what is helping them improve so much then look at your work and see how you can change. There are tons of sketchbooks and the answers are all there. I hope I am of help to you. I know you are a smart guy, you just gotta start learning how to learn. Good luck!

RE: Crackbook - crackedskull - 02-25-2014

Day 22: 4h art done 1h schoolwork done.

@EduardoGaray: A single area eh? Sounds like a plan mate :). I'll be a little bit broader with the areas though. For example one day I'll focus heavily on lineart (gestures, observation, proportions etc). Then next day I will build upon the finished lineart with blocking in values and so on.
As for being even more specific, I could do 1h of gestures, then start building on the better ones with proportions and anatomy. Thanks for the advice.

@BaZoOkaPoOka
Well as flattered as I am, you're kind of exaggerating with me being smart workaholic :). I'd say my intelligence is average and I'm definitley not putting in a ton of effort. I have a long way to grow into someone who is disciplined and puts in 100% of his potential. Not sure what you mean by crosshatching drawings. I did one in post #288, but that was just for fun and not serious study. As for the linedrawings in this page, they are just quick sketches, because I was too lazy to commit to more timely drawings. (One of my biggest faults).

It is true what you say of the fundamentals, now that you have mentioned it, I can't deny that I have been wasting my time with speedpaints or quick sketches with no real purpose instead of practising fundamentals.

Overall many thanks to you Kathleen, I will try and check out more of Dave Rapoza's sketchbook and Algenpflegers one in conceptart for more useful material. From time to time I lose sight of what is really useful to learn, because I get too caught up in other things. All in all its nice to see someone reminding me of the important truths.

---------------------------------

Time to reevaluate my way of working. Its unorganized, unstable (some days go by good others are hell), overly stressful and not creating an useful routine.
Time to change that. I have created a more organized schedule for myself.(Dont know why, but Ive been kind of ignoring schedules I see on the internet, silly me)
Might change some waypoints here and there in the future, but here's the initial version.

Every day start with: Loomis, Vilppu, Hogarth etc as a warm up. Warm up exercise will last 1h
In addition to 1h of warm up;
Monday: Drawing day, pick a picture and draw the best lineart to work off from.

Tuesday: Painting day build upon the picture that you drew yesterday by blocking in the shapes.

Wednesday: Anatomy drawing. Optional: design something based on the drawings

Thursday: Animal anatomy drawing day. Optional: design something based on the drawings

Friday: Perspective day. Main subject is drawing vehicles. Optional: design something based on the drawings

Saturday: Painting day 2.( I should have enough drawings from wednesday-friday to focus on painting)

Sunday: Design day. Concepts, quicksketches allowed. Also try to focus on IP development.(This is the day I let out all those quick bad sketches out of my system if I need to. If you are up for it then try merging vehicles/animals/humans together from the past days.

Gonna see how this schedule works in practice.

Bringing back the Loomis series.

Loomis episode 49: Why am I exaggerating the right side?
Yeah, didnt flip the canvas specifically so that I could find the mistakes manually and by measuring. The point is to train myself to spot the errors without flipping the image.(Seems kind of silly actually, advice on the subject please?)

Wasted some time by detailing before controlling my proportions, but right now completion time is not an issue, learning is. If I have to redraw a large part, because that knee or that elbow lined up wrong then so be it, in terms of learning it does not matter.

RE: Crackbook - crackedskull - 02-26-2014

Day 23: 3h art done 1h schoolwork done.

Made finishing this priority over Loomis series. To remember the mistakes I did I will limit myself with the timeframe. This also motivates me to put in more time, than I would otherwise following the goal. For example yesterday, since I made the mistake of detailing too early, I did not get a very good lineart to base off the value block in. Today I should have thought in broader forms, but I got too caught up in details. The multiple highlights and level of detail was challenging.

RE: Crackbook - crackedskull - 02-27-2014

Day 24:3h art done

Loomis50

For anatomy I went with Hogarth because hes fucking awesome.

RE: Crackbook - Adam Lina - 02-27-2014

Your line art is looking more controlled now. With those straight on loomis figures their torsos are too big for the rest of the body. Not sure if you did that on purpose or not. Maybe it would do you good at this point to try just drawing skeletons and understanding the frame work of the body before attempting to study muscles. The muscles look really good actually in that last post.

RE: Crackbook - razvanb08 - 02-27-2014

Keep up with the studies and the hard work man. Good job!

RE: Crackbook - crackedskull - 02-28-2014

Day 25: 3h art done.

@Hypnagogic_Haze- Nah it was'nt. Gonna do hampton next time, he has a simple basic form building method, then move on to loomis' methods and so on.

@razvanb08- Thanks man.

Ooh, really fucked this one up. Gonna use exact measurements when I approach this exercise again.

Some animal anatomy studies and putting them into designs.