Crimson Daggers — Art forum
Crackbook - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: PERSONAL ARTWORK (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: SKETCHBOOKS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Crackbook (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Crackbook - Vornag - 07-06-2015

Man, this sketcbook is just two years of pure improvement and inspiration. The landscapes in post #554 really remind me of Tom Scholes' style, really cool shit.

RE: Crackbook - Janos - 07-06-2015

Hey there ! I just saw your entry so I checked out your Sketchbook.

I must say wow soooo much work you did there. It is really nice to see how your eye and your hand are fighting each other. 

You getting better everytime just don´t quit !!!

Are you going to live drawing class?? 

It´s so crucial...enjoy The process and have fun buddy !

RE: Crackbook - cesartalves - 07-07-2015

Cool stuff dude :)

"Ps- dynamic cloth folds are hard."
-try burne hogarth's "Dynamic Wrinkles and Drapery", this book is really good

RE: Crackbook - marjoriedavis - 07-07-2015

hey man i can see you are learning lots and working hard!
let me know if you need a paint-over on your cape dude.

best of luck! ^o^/

RE: Crackbook - crackedskull - 07-07-2015

Vornag - Thanks, Hadnt heard of Tom Scholes before, but now that I look at his enviros they are awesome and inspiring.
Janos - I went to lifedrawing when I was in shcool, when it starts up again I'll get back into it. Thanks for inspiring words.
Cesartalves - Oh yes, I went through every page of that book lol. Didnt find the right kind of cloth in the same position. As for the character his arm was in an unnatural pose, so ofc theres no references, but I did learn that many robes have a sewn part that seperates torso and arms, this causes wrinkles to behave differently.
Marj - Sure thing! Thanks for the offer :)

Day 6 - 5h done

Damn, times going by so fast, already on day 7. Thats right, day 7, due to my sleep schedule I am behind one day(Its 4.00 AM), but Im catching up today with the help of some energy drinks.
Edited to remove a thingie.

[attachment=70026]

RE: Crackbook - Jeffrey - 07-07-2015

Lots of growth in here, it's very inspiring! Keep up the good mojo!

RE: Crackbook - crackedskull - 07-07-2015

Thank you Jeffrey

Day 7 fin- 5h done

A sculpture, I study,
For you, my buddy.

Easy task it is,
Though I'm no whiz.

First the basic forms,
my hand performs.

Work goes by smoothly,
though a little bit crudely.

I get to painting the eyes.
What a cruel fate it hides.

I fail and fail,
I cannot bail.

I search for errors,
only to find terrors.

I measure in vain,
theres nothing to gain.

My eyes see the mistake,
My hand cannot shake.

Eyes constantly causing me pain,
Over and over painting in vain.

Alas I am content,
for my time spent.

For I know that to learn,
I must sometimes be stern.

RE: Crackbook - crackedskull - 07-08-2015

Day 8 failed- 3.5h done

I got sleepy a lot sooner than I expected, started working way too late.

[attachment=70094]

RE: Crackbook - badbaddog - 07-08-2015

Hey crackedskull!
Great linework! I really like what you're doing here, from what I can tell it's doing wonders in grasping the character dynamic, so keep at it!
Try to stick to the sketches as long as possible while doing finished work, as it's the core - the weight distribution, the feeling. It's all in the initial sketch.
Great work!

RE: Crackbook - crackedskull - 07-09-2015

Badbaddog - Thanks man.

Day 9 finished . 8h done

[attachment=70151]

RE: Crackbook - crackedskull - 07-10-2015

Day 10 finished . 5h done
Total hours completed: 51.5
Goal finished.
Next goal: Do 6h a day and get 60 hours worth of art done by 20th of july.

RE: Crackbook - crackedskull - 07-12-2015

Day 1 done - 6.5h

Went on a trip, hence the traditional sketches.

RE: Crackbook - smrr - 07-12-2015

Great stuff, cracked! Really pushing hard I see ^________^

Paintings above like this:
http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/attachment.php?aid=69981
have wonderful brushstrokes! Really, I love this <3

The one thing I notice about some of your work = the colours get a bit muddy. I would suggest to keep in mind some of these things:
* too many colours in your colour palette
* edges, you'd be surprised how rushing this can make colours muddy
* colour picking too much - use the sliders every now and then to bring vitality back into your art
* values make be off a bit
* using straight black/same brown all over as areas in shadow?

Anyway I hope this helps, even if a little <3

Keep pushing, cracked! I believe in ya!

RE: Crackbook - Tristan Berndt - 07-12-2015

I'm on board with what smrr said.

I'd like to suggest you try out a slightly different approach when painting that might help with some of the problems smrr talked about. This is something I've found very valuable and it makes things a lot easier. It's based on the classical approach to cast drawings. After you've done your drawing, establish what is in light and what is in shadow. Two different values/colors with basically no mid tones. This allows you to setup your basic value relationship and to define your drawing without worrying about different colors or gradients. Then pick an appropriate mid tone and work it into your drawing. When you have 3 basic colors, your forms should be fairly well defined. Now you just need to work in different saturations, hues and gradients. It should be easy because the core values of the image are in place.

Anyway, it's just a suggestion. Keep on working! You're doing good!!

RE: Crackbook - crackedskull - 07-14-2015

Hey Smrr, wait till you see this one http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bWOxuHA_g4g/Uq4kzbFYjmI/AAAAAAAAA14/EgwDRgTBgpk/s1600/w-01.jpg
The artist is called Peleng, look him up, his brushwork is superb. Some of my quicker sketches seem muddy to me aswell, on longer pieces I cant see it, but theres probably some mud somwhere in there, thanks for the handy pointers, Ill turn to them if I gotta check things out.

Tristan Berndt - You're right on that, I did try a similar method on the sculpture study, but I should do some for other lighting settings.

Day 2 failed - 3h
Day 3 succeded - 7h

[attachment=70446][attachment=70446]

RE: Crackbook - smrr - 07-14-2015

Ah yesssssssssss Peleng <3 <3 In love In love

Been a while since I've checked out his work haha.

Getting that texture on the orange down well, cracked! And I'm liking this little old herbal wizard type <:

Get crackin' (get it? get it? your name is cracked and I jus... ok I'll stop :D srsly though, keep it up meng, bust through them walls)

RE: Crackbook - crackedskull - 07-15-2015

Thanks for visitin' Smrr. Its a lemon :)

Day 4 - 4.5h done

[attachment=70548]

RE: Crackbook - Tristan Berndt - 07-15-2015

Looks good, man. I like that study of the Ruan Jia thing! 

So here's a bit of an explanatory image I made. Your proportions tend to be off and I'd suggest you try and check them while you're sketching. Working from a proportionally correct drawing adds a lot and if you want to do anatomy studies over a figure drawing, all the muscles will fit into place. I tend to use Paul Richer's academic proportions but you can also stretch them to create tall and short people. 

Also, if you want to draw a very short person like a dwarf, make them a lot shorter than the average so there is no question if they're a dwarf or just weirdly proportioned. 

RE: Crackbook - Jaik - 07-16-2015

I see a Mullins!

Nice studies man, you are improving hand over fist. So good to see and very inspiring. For your night time monk guy, I recommend playing with the levels a little and maybe make the bg a little darker. While it may be lit by the moon, its proobably a little too indistinct to be the case. So maybe darken it and come back in with a ~5% lighter colour to do some light sides. Just my thoughts. see how it looks :)

Thanks for dropping by my sketchbook too :D

RE: Crackbook - crackedskull - 07-17-2015

Tristan - Thank you for the critique, I quess I should check my proportions more often, Ill save the chart you posted, will come handy in the future. 

Jaik - Thanks mate, I worked on the monk guy and finished it, did darken the bg and worked out fine :)

Day 5: 7h done
Day 6: 6.5h done

I might have forgotten to write down an hour or so, not gonna add that to the hours goal. Also found a beetle and did some quicksketches from it, kept moving around so it was harder. Finished the time gardner.

[attachment=70745]

[attachment=70763]