Crimson Daggers — Art forum
Crackbook - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: PERSONAL ARTWORK (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: SKETCHBOOKS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Crackbook (/thread-3582.html)

RE: Crackbook - Punk-A-Cat - 08-24-2015

ohhhh love the last one, so much brooding atmosphere!

RE: Crackbook - crackedskull - 08-25-2015

Day 7 finished - 2h done

Got a new monitor and spent some time calibrating it, should have done more art before, since calibrating took longer than I expected. Colors/values look more dull than on my laptop and its not a contrast issue, the screen is lower quality. Colors look a bit different too and more washed out. Got what I paid for I quess.
When I looked at some photos and master paintings it didnt look so bad though, however some of my paintings looked noticeably different(warmer colors). Im gonna test out painting on it and see how its different tomorrow.
I think Ill use the other monitor mainly for looking at designs and misc programs, but color/value studies are not gonna happen on that.

Study+ wip on skull. I didnt like the composition so I repainted it until I started getting somwhere, the top part looks nice but bottom still needs work.

Punk-A-Cat - Thanks mate.

RE: Crackbook - Adam Lina - 08-26-2015

Man, I wish I had half your dedication. You're really rocketing forward every time I see you. I seem to recall you saying you burned out multiple times? It appears you bounce back pretty quick though.

RE: Crackbook - crackedskull - 08-26-2015

Day 8 finished - 3h done

+´+´0´+0´´+0´0+´0+´0+´0+´0+´0+´0

Adam- Thanks for the compliment :)
It took time to get back from a burnout, but last time I burned out was 2 years ago. The thing I bounced back from was me being lazy.

RE: Crackbook - Bookend - 08-27-2015

Weird, I could'a sworn I had commented on that awesome skull piece. Ah well. It really is looking frickin' amazing. You also seem to have more line confidence in your figures, and your studies are getting pushed further. Great to see this progress from you! Keep at it, man. Thumbs_up

RE: Crackbook - crackedskull - 08-27-2015

Day 9 finished - 3h done

Whoops, I screwed up on rule 1&3. Good thing I didnt set a penalty for failing rules :D
Total score so far: 28.5 hours

Refining trees and rendering.

crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-6783-lastpost.html

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Bookend - I am thankful for your continued support man :)

RE: Crackbook - crackedskull - 08-28-2015

Day 10 finished - 2h done
30.5 hours done in total, goal passed
For the next 3 days I'll try hitting the bonus goal, also minimum hours per day will be 2.
After that its back to artschool, I'll update on that later.

2 studies + mad squirrels + battery addict = ?

RE: Crackbook - Bookend - 08-29-2015

Haha, awesome work man. That 'Igor' looks suitably decrepit. Grin

Gogogogogoo!! Thumbs_up

RE: Crackbook - crackedskull - 08-30-2015

2h dunn
Good thing I set that minimum hours rule, eh? I suck...

Bookent - THanks

RE: Crackbook - Vornag - 08-30-2015

Absolutely loving the skull piece. Nice balance of detail and interesting brush texture. Great mood, too.

RE: Crackbook - jsel - 08-30-2015

The skull piece is looking really good. However maybe you could play with the scale of the foreground elements and make the figures overlap the middle ground to add depth. I did a quick paint over (hope you don't mind) to show what I mean:

Paint Over Link! <<<

You have some nice gestures going on in the foreground figures.

RE: Crackbook - Bookend - 08-30-2015

Yep. That skull piece is going in your portfolio. Grin Excelleennttt.

Keep it up!

RE: Crackbook - vlada - 08-30-2015

The value shifts on that skull <3 Good job keeping them both subtle and crisp. I agree with Jsel, you don't really have a defined foreground yet but I'm assuming you are still working on it -- let's see some scale variation and similar value changes in the darker figures!

RE: Crackbook - ZombieChinchilla - 08-30-2015

Awesome stuff, dude! I agree with everyone, that skull piece is looking killer. The lighting is really atmospheric and the greens and yellows makes for some awesome color harmony. Keep it uuupp!!

RE: Crackbook - CoreyH - 08-30-2015

Cool work man. Skull is definitely looking sick :)

RE: Crackbook - crackedskull - 08-31-2015

5h
Moving back to my cramped apartment tomorrow, it was a real vacation in parents house :)

Worked on the foreground and referenced Jsels paintover, I was hesitant to put figures infront of skull, but I tried to compromise and create good shapes.

Ps - I name my study files "stds", by now I have 8 "stds". :D

CoreyH - Thanks

ZombieChinchilla - I will, thanks for visiting.

Vlada - Worked on it today, hope its better now. Appreciate your feedback.

Bookend - Thank you.

Jsel - I'm very grateful for the paintover, it helped me quite a bit, I changed the foreground a lot and hopefully its good now.

Vornag - My thanks :)

RE: Crackbook - Archreux - 08-31-2015

Great progress, man! I really like that portrait right above the still life. Getting some crazy Craig Mullins vibes from it. The still lives are really helping your light/form, as they should be, and it's really showing through in the skull piece you've been working on!

As a small critique on the skull piece, you should definitely consider sharpening some of the edges. Seeing that it's the main focus point, it'd really help to carve out those sharper features, and you've already got a lot of lovely soft/lost edges.

Consider losing the foreground elements with the people as well, and instead put some figures at the bass of the skull, inspecting/exploring it's structure. The skull and environment itself is good enough to have on its own. If you'd really like to keep the foreground elements, there'd be some work to be done so they don't interfere with the scale you're going for. You have people that are aiding the size of the skull, but then there are all these trees that are placed in a way that contradict, shrinking it in an awkward way. Just play around with some of these things and see how it looks.

Got a little carried away on the crit of that, but the skull is gorgeous. Hope that helps in some way, and I can't wait to see an update! :D

RE: Crackbook - lurch - 09-01-2015

cool sketchbook, from your earlier pages, I can see how you've improved already - very inspiring.

RE: Crackbook - crackedskull - 09-01-2015

2.5 h

Goal: Have 20-40 hours of work done by the 10th of september.

´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´
Lurch - Thank you, glad to inspire you.

Archreux - The portrait is a a Mullins study so that explain the vibe :D
I never noticed the awkwardness with trees, I got rid of them as you said. Many thanks for your critique man :)

RE: Crackbook - crackedskull - 09-02-2015

Day2 - 2h doen

+´+´+´+´+

Sketchosoph - thank you :)