Crimson Daggers — Art forum
Movies and TV - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-15.html)
+--- Forum: CASUAL DISCUSSIONS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: Movies and TV (/thread-3603.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Movies and TV - Psychotime - 07-15-2013

I'm not a person who goes to the theater often. Usually once a year, if at all. But the other day I watched Pacific Rim, only because I kept hearing good about it. I didn't have much interest from the beginning, don't have any feelings about Del Toro (though I did see the Hellboy movies), don't care much for the mecha genre. Basically, I went only because I was bored.

But having watched it, it was enjoyable! Not Django level (the last movie I saw in a theater), but not a bad movie at all.

Like Django (or any Tarantino film to memory), the main characters aren't complicated but there's enough to them that they don't come off as shallow or boring, and a few background characters are interesting despite not knowing a single thing about them (Crimson Typhoon).

The monster fights were GREAT. When I'm thinking "Yeah! That's what you get, you acid-spewing piece of shit! You like that? You like that?", that's when I know I'm enjoying a fight scene.

This also happens to be the very first 3D film I've ever seen. Pardon me for thinking of the format as a fad, because even this movie doesn't make it feel any less gimmicky. Whatever, it didn't detract from anything.

Not a bad movie at all. I have nothing to complain about. It did what it set out to do.

You know what's annoying? The constant attempts at comparisons to Evangelion I keep hearing on the net. As if Evangelion invented the concept of people piloting giant robots to fight giant monsters. You know, a concept that's existed for a good 20 or so years before EVA ever showed up.

RE: Movies and TV - Patrick Gaumond - 07-16-2013

I plan on seeing Pacific Rim sometime soon, probably wednesday. Everything I've heard of it so far seems positive so why not. I'm a massive fan of Del Toro's art team, They are just the friggin bomb. If you haven't seen it already I would suggest Pan's Labyrinth. It's probably his best movie, and it is my favourite movie of all time. Its nothing like most of his other movies in terms of plot (ie the focus is not on action) but the way the story is told is just fantastic

Also I think they are just comparing it to EVA because its become the standard for the genre in some ways, or some see it as "the best". Its still annoying as hell that everything always has to be compared, why can't we just enjoy things as they are?

RE: Movies and TV - Psychotime - 07-16-2013

(07-16-2013, 10:24 AM)Beardley Wrote: If you haven't seen it already I would suggest Pan's Labyrinth. It's probably his best movie, and it is my favourite movie of all time. Its nothing like most of his other movies in terms of plot (ie the focus is not on action) but the way the story is told is just fantastic

Planning on eventually seeing it. Maybe I'll see it sooner.

(07-16-2013, 10:24 AM)Beardley Wrote: Also I think they are just comparing it to EVA because its become the standard for the genre in some ways, or some see it as "the best"

What standard? I'm not a mecha fan, but I've never seen any show that tries to be anything like it. Especially not Gurren Lagann, the unapologetic over the top power fantasy that the same studio would make years later.

If you ask me, EVA is a convoluted pretentious mess. But it's certainly unique.

RE: Movies and TV - Patrick Gaumond - 07-16-2013

(07-16-2013, 10:44 AM)Psychotime Wrote: What standard? I'm not a mecha fan, but I've never seen any show that tries to be anything like it. Especially not Gurren Lagann, the unapologetic over the top power fantasy that the same studio would make years later.

If you ask me, EVA is a convoluted pretentious mess. But it's certainly unique.

I'm no mecha fan either. It's a standard in that it's probably the one most people know about or reference when they discuss mech films/shows. I'm no expert, it just seems to be the most popularly referenced and therefore its become a standard for mechs vs giant aliens.

RE: Movies and TV - Psychotime - 07-16-2013

Except, the thing that makes it unique have NOTHING to do with the the fact that it's giant robots vs monsters.

It's the mentally disturbed cast, the nature of their robots (I've said enough), the nonsensical endings (as in more than one), and the constant christian/kabbalah imagery that the creators thought looked cool, and the HUGE amount of backstory and concepts that are barely explained in the series and require further reading to understand what's going on. Then there's the budget issues.

When people discuss mecha as a genre, it can be split into two camps: Super Robot and Real Robot. There are wikipedia articles on it that define them both.

Super Robots are stuff like Mazinger Z, Gigantor, and Gurren Lagann. The robots are unique super powered machines, and usually controlled or powered in outlandish or fantastical ways.

Real Robots are stuff like Gundam Wing. Robots are essentially mass produced military weapons used in war, follow much harder restrictions and the sci-fi is taken much more seriously.

EVA fits both camps and neither camps at the exact same time. They're super robots with elements of real robots. But it gets weirder than that. EVA is a separate topic on it's own, and is very unlike other mecha series.

Pacific Rim is firmly placed in the Super Robot subgenre. And Del Toro makes that clear from the inspirations he's noted.

RE: Movies and TV - Triggerpigking - 07-18-2013

(07-16-2013, 11:31 AM)Psychotime Wrote: Except, the thing that makes it unique have NOTHING to do with the the fact that it's giant robots vs monsters.
It's the mentally disturbed cast, the nature of their robots (I've said enough), the nonsensical endings (as in more than one), and the constant christian/kabbalah imagery that the creators thought looked cool, and the HUGE amount of backstory and concepts that are barely explained in the series and require further reading to understand what's going on. Then there's the budget issues.
Bit of topic, but you ever see the evangelion movies that are coming out? Think they're doing a much better job in pretty much everything then the original series ever did, glad I found out about the series via the movies rather then the show actually as I may have not given them a chance otherwise.

I watched an anime called Gungrave with my friend the other day and by god..me and my friend went into this just expecting your run of the mill fun action anime but it is so much more it's one of the best animes I have ever seen hell maybe one of the best shows I have ever seen, I put it up there with cowboy bebop.
The series is essentially a mafia story with alot of sci-fi elements later on in the story, which suprisingly never felt forced in and actually added something rather then just being there for cool action scenes.
The shows actually very much like a modern day berserk, several parts of the story actually parallel it, hell it even starts with the first episode being a flashforward and then most of the series is a prequel leading up to it, not to say it's a ripoff by any means it just uses a similair basic story it differentiats itself more then enough to make itself different and in alot of ways better then berserk imo.
I'm not really sure myself but some people say to skip the first episode actually and yeah it's pretty meh but i'm sorta torn on it, on one side it spoils alot of what happens later on but on the other hand it, I think it actually adds to the story during the prequel parts, one of the episodes is actually a partial-repeat of the first but it makes alot more sense now, the majority of people say to skip the first ep so eh probbly better to go ahead and skip it, both have theyre pros and cons.
Also the dubbing is great, I believe most of the characters are american(most of them have american names)so the dubbing does'nt feel out of place, I think in animes set outside japan it adds to it more, although I personally barely ever watched subbed animes anyway.

RE: Movies and TV - EduardoGaray - 07-19-2013

Yeah, as triggerpigking says, the new evangelion movies are much, much, better than the original anime. To the point that i hate the original series, but i love the new movies.
Specially the second one and its epic ending (AYANAAAAMIII!) but the third one (3.0) has kinda worried me a bit, because the epicness is removed and all we have is shinji whinning and lots of stuff that doesnt make any sense. Just like the original series!

Never watched Gungrave, but you mentioned Berserk thats enough to grab my attention.
I recently finished Gargantia on the verdurous planet (its fucking great) Best anime of 2013 without a doubt.

I also just finished From the new World (Shinsekai Yori) its an anime based on a novel. It is set on japan (where else?) a thousand years in the future, where the remnants of humanity live peaceful lifes in utopic little communities. There is no crime or violence, and no manual work or energy sources are required since every human has psychic powers. (So they can work or produce energy just with their minds) And the plot starts with a group of children who start to discover that their society isnt as perfect as it looks...

RE: Movies and TV - Psychotime - 07-19-2013

The only movie I managed to watch was End of Evangelion, and...yeah. That was something. I actually found the original series ending hilarious for how stupid and nonsensical it was. But I hated the movie ending for how stupid and nonsensical it was. The series ending was amusing, while End of Eva was just...good lord.

I do plan on watching the reboot movies, though. Just never got to it.

If memory serves, they make Kaworu a pilot and add a new character, right? A girl with glasses, I think?

RE: Movies and TV - EduardoGaray - 07-19-2013

yeah, there are two new pilots, Kaworu and Mari (the girl with glasses) Kaworu is kinda the same character of the original series, while Mari is just a walking machine of fanservice, oh well.

RE: Movies and TV - Triggerpigking - 07-19-2013

(07-19-2013, 01:38 AM)EduardoGaray Wrote: Yeah, as triggerpigking says, the new evangelion movies are much, much, better than the original anime. To the point that i hate the original series, but i love the new movies.
Specially the second one and its epic ending (AYANAAAAMIII!) but the third one (3.0) has kinda worried me a bit, because the epicness is removed and all we have is shinji whinning and lots of stuff that doesnt make any sense. Just like the original series!

So the third movie is subpar?(only watched the first two so far).. oh dear fuck, i'm beggining to think maybe evangelion as a whole might be cursed to have a horrible second half regardless of how many remakes it gets, here's hoping the final film is'nt just gonna be a hastily put together slide-show XD.
From the new World sounds interesting, i'll have to watch that some time.

RE: Movies and TV - EduardoGaray - 07-21-2013

the third movie i still cool, but inferior to 1.0 and specially 2.0 thats why i have that ominous feeling, that the last movie and the new ending will be as shitty as the two previous were.
Now i´m planning to re-watch FlCL (FoolyCooly) in case you dont know what i´m talking about, its a show about a boy and giant mechs sprouting from his head.

RE: Movies and TV - Psychotime - 07-21-2013

FLCL was probably a show I would have liked when I was 14. Now I just find it obnoxious.

RE: Movies and TV - EduardoGaray - 07-21-2013

Really? i dont remember much of the plot to be honest, as i saw it years ago. But i remember some really good scenes, but maybe it was because the soundtrack (The Pillows are awesome)
Anyways, in the end i started watching Samurai Champloo. I really like it, but i was expecting more samurais rapping and doing beatbox.

RE: Movies and TV - Rognoll - 07-25-2013

Psychotim Wrote:FLCL was probably a show I would have liked when I was 14. Now I just find it obnoxious.
Well, you won't like FLCL, unless you get what it's about (becoming a teenager). People in Ginax studio are not stupid, they won't go arround making random crap just because. If you look carefully, it's full of metaphores, like the girl on the vespa, being adolecense itself, baseball being sex, and many more I don't remember today. It's pretty cool when you actually get it.

(07-21-2013, 11:11 PM)EduardoGaray Wrote: Really? i dont remember much of the plot to be honest, as i saw it years ago. But i remember some really good scenes, but maybe it was because the soundtrack (The Pillows are awesome)
Anyways, in the end i started watching Samurai Champloo. I really like it, but i was expecting more samurais rapping and doing beatbox.
You'll get there. It also has a lot more references to pop culture, and it's (specially at the end) a bit critic on american society. Watanabe is a genius.

I don't watch much anime nowadays, but there's a show everyone recomends called something like attack on titan, or something like that. It doesn't look very good, but it's everywhere. Has anyone watched it?

RE: Movies and TV - Psychotime - 07-25-2013

Titan is ok. The first episode is awesome, but afterward it's just average.

The comic was a surprise hit in Japan that came out of nowhere, but once the cartoon started, it blew up all over the world.

A while ago, I tried to describe it to someone else.

(07-25-2013, 01:38 AM)Rognoll Wrote:
Psychotim Wrote:FLCL was probably a show I would have liked when I was 14. Now I just find it obnoxious.
Well, you won't like FLCL, unless you get what it's about (becoming a teenager). People in Ginax studio are not stupid, they won't go arround making random crap just because. If you look carefully, it's full of metaphores, like the girl on the vespa, being adolecense itself, baseball being sex, and many more I don't remember today. It's pretty cool when you actually get it.

No, I already know about that. And that doesn't make it any less obnoxious.

Quote:People in Ginax studio are not stupid, they won't go arround making random crap just because.

Panty and Stocking. Gunbuster. Dead Leaves (which is just as loud and obnoxious as FLCL, enough that it literally gave me a headache).

The only positive things I can say about Gainax is that they do deserve praise for pushing animation above the norm you'd expect in anime, and that they're at least earnest about what they do, however stupid it might be.

And I did enjoy Gurren Laggan, as well as Little Witch Academia (which was made by ex-Gainax people who split off into their own company, called Trigger).

RE: Movies and TV - EduardoGaray - 07-25-2013

You could say that Gainax is always targeting the teenagers who needs adrenaline and ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH! haha
Most of the stuff Gainax do is pretty average. I rewatched two caps of FLCL and yeah, its the soundtrack. But the first battle is still a good scene! I also watched Panty and Stocking and i never fully understood what the point of the show was, besides fanservice.

Also, do you guys like Jojo's Bizarre adventures? its one of my favourite mangas, i started watching the new animation but stopped in the first caps because i wanted to see everything without having to wait a week between episodes.

RE: Movies and TV - Rognoll - 07-25-2013

(07-25-2013, 02:14 AM)Psychotime Wrote: No, I already know about that. And that doesn't make it any less obnoxious.

Ok lol, fair point.

(07-25-2013, 02:14 AM)Psychotime Wrote: Titan is ok. The first episode is awesome, but afterward it's just average.

The comic was a surprise hit in Japan that came out of nowhere, but once the cartoon started, it blew up all over the world.

A while ago, I tried to describe it to someone else.

Mph. Too bad.

(07-25-2013, 02:14 AM)Psychotime Wrote: Panty and Stocking. Gunbuster. Dead Leaves (which is just as loud and obnoxious as FLCL, enough that it literally gave me a headache).

Are you kidding? Panty & stocking is such a good show! The last episodes are a bit "meh" but the... study? mocking? they do on american animation is just awesome. There are tons of references to american shows, the exagerate onomatopeys, the "the city of.." introduction, gir. So much good stuff!

(07-25-2013, 04:23 AM)EduardoGaray Wrote: You could say that Gainax is always targeting the teenagers who needs adrenaline and ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH! haha
Most of the stuff Gainax do is pretty average. I rewatched two caps of FLCL and yeah, its the soundtrack. But the first battle is still a good scene! I also watched Panty and Stocking and i never fully understood what the point of the show was, besides fanservice.

I don't know about that, I think gainax's stuff is smarter than it looks.

RE: Movies and TV - EduardoGaray - 07-25-2013

Oh, i´m not saying that the stuff gainax do isnt smart. In fact, its super smart.
Its made to be likeable, and uses every trick in the book to make you like it. Thats at least how i see it.
It reminds me of another studio: Sunrise. (But i will admit it, gainax is way better than sunrise)
Remember Gundam Z? they dont. Thats why they traded shows with good plots and good characters for fanservice and neverending cliches in everything they do. And the sad part is, it works! I suppose thats why crappy shows like Code Geass or the newest gundam shows get all the love in japan and overseas.

RE: Movies and TV - Psychotime - 08-08-2013

(07-25-2013, 04:23 AM)EduardoGaray Wrote: Also, do you guys like Jojo's Bizarre adventures? its one of my favourite mangas, i started watching the new animation but stopped in the first caps because i wanted to see everything without having to wait a week between episodes.

Jojo's alot of goofy fun. Currently near the end of Part 4.

The cartoon introduced me to it (I was dragging my feet until then), and I think it's very faithful in how it keeps the melodrama and silliness of the original comics intact, and contrasts the off-putting tone that the Part 3 OVAs tried to go for. Part 3 is probably the least goofy Jojo arc (in comparison), but the OVA really seemed to try to go as serious of a tone as they could get away with without changing the story and characters outright.

RE: Movies and TV - Triggerpigking - 08-12-2013

Just finished watching most of attack on titan and yeah I agree with the critism, nothing comes close to the first ep, the pacing never slows down even when it should, and some of the later titan designs are hilariously stupid looking I actually burst out laughing several times.
I think the shows very much a mixed bag of great good and meh, I do like the characters so far though, mainly the main chars sister(who I really think should have been the main character of the show) and potato girl.