Crimson Daggers — Art forum
The Velvet Revolvers - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: STUDY GROUP (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: PARTNER/GROUP DAILIES (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-30.html)
+--- Thread: The Velvet Revolvers (/thread-6811.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: The Velvet Revolvers - Jeso - 12-16-2015

Well, trust me, its not because you didn't go to school. Well you have to think, just what do you want to do. What would be the best job, how exactly does that look like? In my case, I want to paint bad ass shit, that people look at and go "woahh!" and get paid well to do that. Within the entertainment industry, which is games, movies, comics etc. The ultimate goal being, to create something so good, that somebody turns it into something bigger. Like making an IP that its turned into a show or a movie. But yea, that's me.

Anyways, on the mean time, I'd say work on your fundamentals of art. So you build a solid foundation to do whatever you want later on. By this I mean, try to put away the crayons (not necessary, if you love crayons then go for it lol,) grab some graphite or charcoal, or a digital medium, and work on the Fundamentals of art. Form, anatomy, perspective, color, composition and all that jazz

RE: The Velvet Revolvers - Eyliana - 12-16-2015

(12-16-2015, 05:17 AM)Jeso Wrote: Eyliana- I like that you are trying to be structural with your heads and sketch out the whole thing before placing face features. So That is good, I just think you need to obverse more carefully, measure even, proportions a little more carefully. Many of the heads you drew, the water color one even, have skewed features. So, look out for that. The water color painting has lovely colors!

I'm aware of this. It seems to be a problem that I have a hard time to get rid off. I measure things out, but I find it hard to get the basis to look like the references or get the features in the right direction in general. I'll try to observe and measure more. And I think doing a few careful paint overs might help as well. Thanks for the feedback, let's try to fix this!

@

RE: The Velvet Revolvers - Triggerpigking - 12-16-2015

Jeso:cheers about that long post man, it was motivating to say the least :).

generally i'm trying to be focused on just having some fun in drawing at the moment, i'm studying still but i'm treating it as less important then just getting stuff out of my head(though yes studying is very important), as long as I keep up momentum and drawing everyday for even a bit I suppose it's all good.

Eyeliana: if you're studying the face i'd greatly reccomend studying the skull underneath it as well, I did a ton of skull studies a year or two back and it helped alot(my main issue now is mainly in upwards views of the head and the neck connection), also learning the bones for the face is helpful as well, there's a vid on the subject and a ref pack of skulls i'll dig up for you if you want them.
also if you're not already doing so, remember to think of the head with vanishing point lines, you don't need to know where the vanishing points are but the line between both cheekbones or jawlines would be the same as the line between both top edges of the eyes, if that makes sense.

some more undertale fanart, I might redo this one and spend alot more time on it, I love the idea I came up with and pose but it's got a ton of mistakes that I think I could fix on a redraw.
Also hands from life...I've got no idea how people draw their hands from life proper, not only is measuring made almost completely impossible but I can't hold my hand still for more then 2 mins without it begginging to hurt XD, have to rush the drawings and I feel i'm learning more from copying other ones even if it's photos, though drawing these hands could be a good way to get down pose ideas.

RE: The Velvet Revolvers - Jeso - 12-17-2015

Hey Trigger, good practice. Watch out for the length of fingers. And keep it coming. Good that you are drawing fun stuff from imagination too!

Here is some stuff.
[Image: 23163102173_e7be3eec01_c.jpg]

Wanky perspective figures from imagination. Awful as F

[Image: 23161754174_a03be58d4a_b.jpg]

RE: The Velvet Revolvers - artistebot - 12-17-2015

Jeso

Being a "noob" and CD, I  found your study group in the "Looking for Parter" thread, so here I am jumping in! Plus it is great that we are in the same area/time zone.  :-)

I try to do a 30 minute study every day, or something similar during my train commute.
Here is today's study as well as one I worked on last night.  

Any and all feed back would be gratefully accepted.

Today 30 minutes  Painted on a Surface Pro 2 with Clip Studio Paint

[Image: 6bf98Dg.jpg]

Yesterday This took about an hour. Painted on a Surface Pro 2 with Clip Studio Paint.

[Image: xMwE6Vq.jpg]" />

RE: The Velvet Revolvers - Jeso - 12-17-2015

Hey! Welcome Bot! (I hope you dont mind that I call you Bot lol)

Good stuff good stuff. Interesting to see the surface pro is useful like that. I dont think Id take out mi cintiq companion on a train.

The first piece you've posted, the head is too big. So check your proportions in your sketch before compromising to the rendering.

On the second one, pretty nice sketch. The face is really good, for what it is. Yea, very good job on the face and the proportions of the features there.

Thanks Jeso. I was wondering how to fix the Sin City image, yeh the head is too big, thank you! I feel that second one lacks life or is overworked, I hope to learn to use larger, more broad and confident strokes.

I used the Surface Pro 2, it has Wacom Pen tech in it, unlike the current versions. I have a Wacom Companion Hybrid that I like to alternate with the Surface.

(12-15-2015, 07:30 PM)Hey Eliana.For noses, you may consider drawing only the bottom forms and only draw the bridge of the nose a 3/4 or greater angles. I might help to soften the form there. Also try not to outline the whole side nostril shape just the bottom.As for lighting, there is usually 4-6 spots where subtle highlights almost always happen.  From the top of the face:Brow RidgeNext to tear duct between the eye and noseZygomatic ArchTip of the noseCorner of the face right next to the nostrilCorner of the mouthThe chin.Keep up the great work. Eyliana Wrote: Hey Jeso, I really like your studies from two days ago. The lines look nice and clean. With some of the portraits I have the feeling that the angle of the eyes and/or mouth are still slightly off. With the rendered portrait the bottom of the nose looks a bit small (the top is wider). And nice speech on 'Just do it'. :).

@Brookend; Even if you copy things, learn from it. Do not paint it because it looks the same, try to figure out why it looks like that. Later you can apply those principles in your own work. It will get better!

@Triggerpigking; Nice designs. I really like the character design you did. And sounds like a good plan to draw something from imagination every day, I think I'll give that a shot as well.

Last week was an oke week for me. I'm trying to do 30 minutes of gestures every day, usually an hour and I'll continue that this week. I'll also continue studying the facial features and try to get them on the same plane and in the same direction.

Some studies I did yesterday and friday:
[Image: 2015_12_15_by_eyliana-d9k7aks.jpg]

And the finished water colour painting:
[Image: kyra__princess_of_the_fire_pearls_by_eyl...9k7a0h.jpg]
Here I need to learn how to stick to the same/expression of the sketch. While painting shapes change, not always for the good. And  I need to plan it better, the light sources are all over the place now, because I only planned the shading of the face and forgot about the rest.

That was it for now. :)

[/url]
[url=http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcrimsondaggers.com%2Fforum%2Fnewreply.php%3Ftid%3D6811%26processed%3D1&media=http%3A%2F%2Forig10.deviantart.net%2F264e%2Ff%2F2015%2F349%2F4%2Fd%2F2015_12_15_by_eyliana-d9k7aks.jpg&xm=h&xv=sa1.37.01&xuid=sRrHY2qPXGar&description=]

RE: The Velvet Revolvers - Jeso - 12-19-2015

Hey guys, Havent posted, obviously. I'm working pretty hard on something non art related that I wanna do. One of a few of my life goals. But i'm here, I come and check this thread like 5 times a day. So post! keep posting, and post some more.

Hey bot, I think something went wrong on your post lol.

RE: The Velvet Revolvers - VeronicaRadd - 12-19-2015

I haven't worked on too much, but I finished an old lion sketch. Did two different color versions as well. here's the two I worked on.

also Bot that lady painting is just lovely!

http://fav.me/d9kk22a
http://fav.me/d9klfwp

RE: The Velvet Revolvers - Bookend - 12-19-2015

Keeping you guys up to date-- Moving into a new apartment! Losing internet for awhile. Still studying art hardcore. Thumbs_up

RE: The Velvet Revolvers - artistebot - 12-20-2015

Last nights quick study Painted on a Surface Pro 2 with Clip Studio Paint. I need to work out groupig shadows more. Any suggestions?

Cheers

[img][Image: 5UfzpBx.jpg][/img]

RE: The Velvet Revolvers - Jeso - 12-20-2015

Hey Bot, the perspective of the head seems wrong. The face you painted seems almost like its straight on towards us, but the reference, its cleary a 3/4 view. So, use a center line in the sketch face to have that fixed next time. Same with the torso of the guy, use a center line. We should see more of the side that is closer towards us. Also the facial features are a big overblown here and there, So I recommend you first draw the skull, so you have sockets mapped out, and know where to fit in the eyes for example.

Veronica. Please figure out how to post images straight into your post like everybody else. :) Nice picture. But again, I dont know how to critique that. I recommend you study fundamentals instead of the things you always do. This will help you improve your raw skill.

RE: The Velvet Revolvers - VeronicaRadd - 12-24-2015

I still need to work on my fundamentals but here's a piece I did for my dad for christmas. Sorry about the links, was having trouble figuring it out. I think I've got the hang of it now though.

Anyway this is all I've got at the moment, more drawing to do before the new year though!

Nice picture @art! I'd say it looks pretty decent, maybe grid it out more though? Lighting is something I struggle with as well!

RE: The Velvet Revolvers - Amit Dutta - 12-24-2015

Keep up the hard work guys. 

I've been having slight crit withdrawals since my course ended, so here is one for ya as a gift for tomorrow....hope it helps a bit. I am no portrait master at ALL, but this most boiled down process (sort of the Reilly method) as far as I can tell from watching others do it.  It definitely helps to split out the stages at the beginning...to build up that knowledge. Later you can wing it a bit more.

Artistebot, the ref you chose was very direct lit, so there was much less nuance to the shadow areas, but still the same thing applies.
Get your structure, proportion and feature placement correct and accurate first with a construction sketch. Easier said than done!

Then map all main core shadow shapes where light meets dark, accuracy being vital at this stage, taking into account planes of the form. The core shadows are the biggest and most important definer of the forms, so if you get these wrong, it will all fall apart. Draw with line to get these in. Fill the shadow areas using your guides with a single tone, then you have a basic notan structure of the face. 
Then it's just going in and refining with midtone values, detailing and edgework etc. The more accurate you are with the first two steps, the better the final will be. Takes a while up front, but it's worth it for the amount of noodling it saves, and much better than trying to wing it by painting from the get go.

I'd also recommend that if you are going to study heads and faces...definitely work on being crazy accurate on structure and proportion and placement every time. Working sloppy will only teach you sloppy habits.

Hope it's clear?  

RE: The Velvet Revolvers - Jeso - 12-24-2015

Amit! Much love man! Thanks for showing up and helping up my guys! I'm sure everybody here will take something from your explanation.

Rock on man!

RE: The Velvet Revolvers - artistebot - 12-27-2015

Thankyou Amit, for that extensive feedback!
I appreciate  how you explained the process of ddefining core shadows. I will take another shot at that image over the next few days.  Before I read your post, I competed another study BUT did not do a structure small study, so this one has similar issues. 

You guys are AWESOME!

[Image: LstxKRv.jpg]

RE: The Velvet Revolvers - Triggerpigking - 12-29-2015

Cheers for posting that Amit, i'm currently trying to avoid shading and light just focusing on getting down structure but that's really helpful.

Hey guys, hope you're all having a good christmas :).

redone version of the sans picture I uploaded last time.

some hand studies most of these are from life so I could'nt measure them properly and had to draw quickly, i'll try doing some longer studies soon.

started on the ribcage proko studies, mainly having issues with trying to just draw the basic shape of them atm that and trying to find the ribcage underneath muscle.

RE: The Velvet Revolvers - artistebot - 12-29-2015

I took Amit's crib to heart and created this study..

Day 29, Wed Dec 27 at 8pm

Painted on a Surface Pro 2 with Clip Studio Paint. Skiing in Bear Valley, could not upload sooner, internet is spotty. I took a bit more time with this one, planning the face via constructive anatomy.

[img]<a href=[/img][Image: OzH3OSR.jpg]" />

RE: The Velvet Revolvers - artistebot - 12-29-2015

An image do the PSD layer process, pencil, shadow shapes, etc..

[img]<a href=[/img][Image: uZJWb9M.jpg]" />