Crimson Daggers — Art forum
Crimson CHOW #15 - The Rusalka - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: STUDY GROUP (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: COMMUNITY CHALLENGES (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-46.html)
+--- Thread: Crimson CHOW #15 - The Rusalka (/thread-6813.html)

Pages: 1 2

Crimson CHOW #15 - The Rusalka - smrr - 09-05-2015

Hey Daggers!

Some of us are game in participating in CHoW for this week, so I'm taking from pnate's CHoW write up and welcoming CHoW #15! 

It won't be a biweekly thing like Nate was doing - just whenever y'all are game! So here goes!:

Welcome to the Crimson CHOW (Character of the Week)! This is a challenge which was created as a way to hone your skills in design and character creation, in a fun and competitive way. Each challenge, we will give you a short character prompt and it is your task to interpret the character as you imagine it, with your own unique spin. The winner will be chosen through a poll in the finals thread, and in addition to being able to pick the next challenge topic, his/her piece will be featured in the "Crimson Champions" Winner's thread!

This weeks CHOW passage is brought to you by the quick, the nimble... Bookend-!

"It is accounted by most stories that the soul of a young woman, who had died in or near a river or a lake, came back to haunt that waterway. This undead rusalka is not invariably malevolent, and will be allowed to die in peace if her death is avenged. Her main purpose is, however, to lure young men, seduced by either her looks or her voice, into the depths of said waterways where she would entangle their feet with her long red hair and submerge them"

Your task is to design your interpretation of "The Rusalka". Don't forget to think outside of the box, daggers. Go hard, hustle and bustle!

Guidelines:
  • Photo textures, 3D, and traditional mediums are allowed.
  • There is no restriction on the character's gender, time period or culture.
  • Studies are recommended, but not required.
  • There is no restriction on image formats (horizontal, vertical, square).
  • Environment backgrounds are optional.
  • Keep in mind you are not required to stick to what is in the passage. It is more of a guide in terms of mood.
Rules:
  • You must post at least one WIP in the WIP thread to be accepted into the final poll.
  • Finals must be posted in the finals thread before the deadline.
  • At least 3/4 of the character must be visible (minimum from the knees up). No back views are allowed without a front.
  • Only ONE character please.
  • Only ONE submission per person in the finals thread.
  • Sketches, WIPs, or rushed artwork will not be accepted into the poll.
  • No fanart. We want to see your original, unique interpretations!
  • Have fun!
Deadline is Sunday, September 13 @10pm GMT

RE: Crimson CHOW #15 - The Rusalka - RottenPocket - 09-05-2015

Hahaha!... sailor...

RE: Crimson CHOW #15 - The Rusalka - Bookend - 09-05-2015

So far I have some thumbnails.  I'm not sure which one I'll be choosing, though, but damn I'm excited about this.

I've always wanted to draw the rusalka, ever since I played this video game called Quest for Glory 4.... Well, suffice it to say that this is a great excuse. ;)  And I'll work hard too!

RE: Crimson CHOW #15 - The Rusalka - Olooriel - 09-06-2015

[Image: Fti4J7V.jpg]

RE: Crimson CHOW #15 - The Rusalka - RottenPocket - 09-06-2015

Blorp.

Preliminary base sketch. I know I need to change the left hand a tad. Other than that I think I've got the come-hither-so-I-can-drown-you look down.

RE: Crimson CHOW #15 - The Rusalka - Bookend - 09-06-2015

Hmmm...  Still moving along.

RE: Crimson CHOW #15 - The Rusalka - vlada - 09-07-2015

I went with the more traditional Russian interpretation-- Rusalkas are basically fey creatures, shapeshifting mermaids. They hide in forest ponds and tickle men to death before drowning them. This one is based around the European Pike -- she hunts in much the same way, lying in wait and then striking her prey in short bursts. I gave her long fingers because imo the tickling thing is fuckin creepy and she needs strong arms to pull herself through mud and over the borders of boats.

Gonna figure out her mouth next!

[Image: C0CPQHt.png]

RE: Crimson CHOW #15 - The Rusalka - RottenPocket - 09-07-2015

Very cool Vlada, I'm liking the shape of her head-dress/gill accents.

RE: Crimson CHOW #15 - The Rusalka - vlada - 09-07-2015

RottenPocket: Thank you!! You really nailed the expression in yours and as always I am in love with your lines, can't wait to see where you push it.

RE: Crimson CHOW #15 - The Rusalka - CTrow - 09-07-2015

Thinking 

RE: Crimson CHOW #15 - The Rusalka - iamorim - 09-07-2015

good work guys. I hope to finish this. I messed with the last 2 chows.

Thanks for the information vlada. I didn't even know what rusalkas were u_u

I just loved these studies ctrow !

RE: Crimson CHOW #15 - The Rusalka - VoodooMama - 09-07-2015

wow! it's cool to see all the different interpretations.
iamorim, really liking yours, love the design, very creepy creative  stuff.

I'm going  with a more typical naked woman/mermaid type of look hehe ^^u, probably wont have time to make it to the poll but at least I'll have a finished piece...I'm hoping...

[Image: 15-WIP-1.jpg]
workin progress
[Image: 15-WIP-4.jpg]

RE: Crimson CHOW #15 - The Rusalka - lurch - 09-08-2015

I might be in, kinda intimidated by everyone's work! haha. Everyone's got such cool ideas.

This is all I've got so far, a little vague but I was thinking like a whirlpool of hair and water wrapping the character, like some wierd elemental thing.

Need to do some studies, if I do go for it, I'll be relying heavily on photo ref for pretty much everything, hopefully it'll be a good learning process tho.

I had some other vague idea of her having green hair so when men waded out it was like that seaweed that tangles you up.

RE: Crimson CHOW #15 - The Rusalka - VoodooMama - 09-08-2015

[Image: 15-WIP-8.jpg]just another wip

RE: Crimson CHOW #15 - The Rusalka - Punk-A-Cat - 09-08-2015

These are all looking amazing!

RE: Crimson CHOW #15 - The Rusalka - Jonas Jerde - 09-08-2015

Hey, I thought the description was cool so I did a sketch. I don't know if I plan on finishing it and I know it breaks the rules but I thought I would just toss it in here anyway. Cool looking Wips everyone. 

[Image: The-Rusalka_zpsxtxlqlbo.jpg~original]

RE: Crimson CHOW #15 - The Rusalka - lurch - 09-08-2015

Whoa! that's a nice sketch.

A little progress on mine, trying to get a feel for it, if it makes it to a final it will be much less lineart/cartoony.

She's looking a little horror film cliche but eh.

RE: Crimson CHOW #15 - The Rusalka - Jan Kloidt - 09-10-2015

my process so far. still lots of things to do

RE: Crimson CHOW #15 - The Rusalka - CTrow - 09-10-2015

Really great pieces from everyone! Thumbs_up here's my wip I might add some jewellery to her maybe a necklace or something I dunno. really like your idea lurch, cool concept.

RE: Crimson CHOW #15 - The Rusalka - Amit Dutta - 09-10-2015

Nice work everyone! Keep it going. Just a quick comment for Jan. I like the comp and wips, but if you are wanting to do a real character design, I really think you need to show more than her head and shoulders!
If you are just using this as a prompt for an illustrative piece, that's fine, but I just wanted to make that point. Design is a different beast altogether.