Crimson Daggers — Art forum
Sketchbook of the S4MURAI - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: PERSONAL ARTWORK (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: SKETCHBOOKS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Sketchbook of the S4MURAI (/thread-7151.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Sketchbook of the S4MURAI - S4MURAI_CAT - 03-08-2016

(03-08-2016, 04:48 AM)BlackDelphin Wrote: So many studies and good ones too and you mister don't have a portfolio yet?! Go make some awesome art and think of adding it to your portfolio! That'll make you think twice before calling it good or done ;)

I like how you drew Chun Li, feminine but tough. Good expression. Nice variation in line thickness too.

Nothing to crit really..just perhaps try more interesting lighting or angles, see where those take you.

Thanks!

I will make a portfolio! But not know. I want, at least, learn how to draw a human.I just recently got the concept of how to draw a stylized head. Still need to learn how to draw a full body,how to draw clothes and how to exaggerate things.My main goal is to draw a cool looking mechs. Have you heard about Exteel? God,I loved this game! I always was fascinated about mechs,giant battle spaceships and space in general.I really like the concept NCsoft did with exteel,like humanoid robots fighting in large battle arenas.Ability to fly,shoot from giant weapons,dodge bullets,man it's fun! But,unfortunately,NCsoft shot the game down.Well,this game played a huge role on me.Slowly, but surely i am going towards my goal.Of course, i am not gonna draw only mechs,but i like combos of human mixed with augmentation like robot limbs and stuff (i.e Raiden from Metal Gear Rising).Oh man,i love all this stuff..aaand fantasy theme too,lol! So i want to include in my portfolio that kind of stuff. All this "Chun Li" portrait is just a result of studying.

(03-08-2016, 04:51 AM)Jacarran Wrote: Wow those fish drawings are amazing. The discussion is right that you have an  amazing understanding of form and shape. Can I ask about any resources (books, artworks, practices, etc) that have aided your approach to studying form?
Keep up the good work!

Thank you kindly!
Well,my main teacher is youtube. All information i need is on this website. I can recommend lots of youtube famous teachers,but SYCRA and Kienan lafferty (aka KNKL) tough me how to see the form.FZD (Feng Zhu design) also has good tutorials,but they are way more advanced.Also, i gather information on pinterest.Pinterest has lots of tutorials on "how to...". As for books,i read Imagine Fx. The magazine can provide lots of useful information about everything.

(03-08-2016, 07:06 AM)AngeliquevdMee Wrote: Nice work on the animals, really love your line work!

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it!

RE: Sketchbook of the S4MURAI - S4MURAI_CAT - 04-29-2016

Well..yeah..figures.My goal was to learn how to draw a basic figure,so that i can learn and apply anatomy on top of basic forms. The difficult thing was to gather information on how other artist simplify bones and muscles into a simple shape.Also, it was a really time consuming thing..But, finally i am able to draw a figure! Even if it's a simple one. I will draw a few figures more just to remember what i have learned so far.I have included my studies and the final image is the result i have achieved.  023

RE: Sketchbook of the S4MURAI - Piotr Jasielski - 04-29-2016

Great studies. This is how it should be done - studies for the sake of attaining the understanding and knowledge not for the sake od doing pretty copies. Keep this up :)

RE: Sketchbook of the S4MURAI - S4MURAI_CAT - 04-29-2016

(04-29-2016, 06:29 AM)Piotr Jasielski Wrote: Great studies. This is how it should be done - studies for the sake of attaining the understanding and knowledge not for the sake od doing pretty copies. Keep this up :)

Thanks,Piotr! You are right! By observing the form you are training your mind to see and understand how it works from any angle.And it is a really useful skill to obtain. But today,in 2016, is it really important anymore? Now we have lots of 3d programs that doing all this stuff for us. Even combined creatures can be done by any 3d program and placed wherever you wish.After you can either color it straight away,trace or mindlessly copy it.So learning how to copy isn't really a bad idea anymore, i guess..

RE: Sketchbook of the S4MURAI - Piotr Jasielski - 04-29-2016

(04-29-2016, 10:23 PM)S4MURAI_CAT Wrote:
(04-29-2016, 06:29 AM)Piotr Jasielski Wrote: Great studies. This is how it should be done - studies for the sake of attaining the understanding and knowledge not for the sake od doing pretty copies. Keep this up :)

Thanks,Piotr! You are right! By observing the form you are training your mind to see and understand how it works from any angle.And it is a really useful skill to obtain. But today,in 2016, is it really important anymore? Now we have lots of 3d programs that doing all this stuff for us. Even combined creatures can be done by any 3d program and placed wherever you wish.After,you can either color it straight away,trace or mindlessly copy it.So learning how to copy isn't really a bad idea anymore, i guess..

Well I guess it depends on what your goal is. 3d will never beat a skillful artist who can do an interesting pose from his head. And drawing will be essential for comics for many years to come, it's just faster and more appealing to look at (unless it's done but a not so skilled artist).

But you are right 3D is taking more and more of what used to be reserved for 2D.

RE: Sketchbook of the S4MURAI - S4MURAI_CAT - 05-06-2016

OK! Did some form practice what i have learned recently. But still need to figure out some nuances before i can move forward.

RE: Sketchbook of the S4MURAI - neopatogen - 05-06-2016

Awesome studies, and great thet you apply them right away! I'm sure that this kind of practice is extremely useful despite 3d programs capacities and totally agree with Piotr. Proko's simplification method is great btw, I tried Loomis' mannequin with simplified muscles today but it's still too hard for me without drawing basic shapes first, so I'll stick to the same method that you use.

RE: Sketchbook of the S4MURAI - S4MURAI_CAT - 05-06-2016

(05-06-2016, 08:20 AM)neopatogen Wrote: Awesome studies, and great thet you apply them right away! I'm sure that this kind of practice is extremely useful despite 3d programs capacities and totally agree with Piotr. Proko's simplification method is great btw, I tried Loomis' mannequin with simplified muscles today but it's still too hard for me without drawing basic shapes first, so I'll stick to the same method that you use.

Oh yeah,this method is really easy to follow and you can quickly grasp the main idea of how to draw a body without serious knowledge of anatomy and stuff. I would recommend to you to check Stan Lee- How to draw comics the marvel way and Bridgman's complete guide to drawing from life. They are both using simple shapes method to draw a body!

RE: Sketchbook of the S4MURAI - S4MURAI_CAT - 05-09-2016

Butts  Th_099_