Crimson Daggers — Art forum
Hobitt's WIP'S - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: TOURNAMENTS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-71.html)
+--- Forum: THE CRIMSON CRUCIBLE (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-72.html)
+---- Forum: CRIMSON CRUCIBLE WIPS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-73.html)
+---- Thread: Hobitt's WIP'S (/thread-7348.html)

Pages: 1 2

Hobitt's WIP'S - Hobitt - 03-14-2016

Alright i gathered a bunch of reference and my idea will be this Tywin Lannister, set in a space western on mars!
And ill try to not use a cowboy hat thats too obvious and doesent work with the design ill study the reference later need to  understand how to make it all work.Heres a sketch meanwhile

RE: Hobitt's WIP'S - tinDeer - 03-14-2016

Very cool idea! Looking forward to seeing more of this :)

RE: Hobitt's WIP'S - kazenodino - 03-14-2016

space cowboy! please make him ride monsters :)

RE: Hobitt's WIP'S - BrushNoir - 03-14-2016

Cool! Love to see more of this ^^

RE: Hobitt's WIP'S - Piotr Jasielski - 03-14-2016

My piece of advice would be to study tywins outfit from GoT and some space cowboy designs. Then try to mix some common characteristics in the final piece.

Good luck :)

RE: Hobitt's WIP'S - Hobitt - 03-14-2016

@TinDeer thanks!
@kazenodino  Dont know about that, that is a whole design in itself! perhaps some other time
@thanks will do more
@Piotr yeah im currently looking at his armor design since i want him to look battle ready ill try to incorporate it

some studies trying to get the feeling for the cowboy stuff , and studying different shapes that will influence the design

RE: Hobitt's WIP'S - Hobitt - 03-15-2016

Alright another sketch this time decided to switch it up and start with a drawing, toned down the power armor idea and added a cowboy hat i couldn't resist.

RE: Hobitt's WIP'S - Eyliana - 03-15-2016

Nice, it does have a Tywin Lannister feel!

RE: Hobitt's WIP'S - EduardoGaray - 03-15-2016

hah! i definitely like where this is going, i would take a good look at covers and other artwork from the pulp era, specially flash gordon and stuff like that.
But so far i like it, maybe the first concept more than the second, since i have a hard time trying to imagine someone like Tywin with an extravagant outfit.
Nice work on those gestures too!

RE: Hobitt's WIP'S - JyonnyNovice - 03-15-2016

great idea! looking good so far - I think you should lose the hat though, feels too cheesy and doesn't suit his character (for me anyway). Also his receding hair line is one of his distinctive features (I think!). Looking forward to see where this goes ^^

RE: Hobitt's WIP'S - Hobitt - 03-15-2016

@Eyliana thanks!
@Eduardo yeah i agree ill try to keep the costume ideas more low key and practical
@Jyonny i know the hat is so much cheesecake the design police should lock me up for this! ill avoid it its a very easy shorthand and a cop out of a design problem

two  more sketches first is playing around with an idea of a bit of power armor, second one closer to the western feel, tomorrow ill go back to full on power armor want to see if i can make it work.And maybe start thinking of the composition who knows.

RE: Hobitt's WIP'S - Hobitt - 03-16-2016

Alright another design and a quick composition will do more thumbnails since the first idea usually the weakest.

RE: Hobitt's WIP'S - Lodratio - 03-16-2016

You've come up with some pretty cool concepts for your armor. Maybe at this point you could try doing some studies of Tywins posture and facial features, and attempt to carry over some of the visual cues of his attire into the robot armor. Having the Lannister Flag in the background is a good idea. It can be used as a compositional element, and it also helps to make the connection with the setting clear.

RE: Hobitt's WIP'S - EduardoGaray - 03-16-2016

this last designs are so much better, have you though about taking some ref from the warhammer 40k universe? some imperial commisar outfits would be very fitting for a space tywin.
Im suggesting it because the last two concepts give me that warhammer vibe and its awesome.

RE: Hobitt's WIP'S - Hobitt - 03-16-2016

@Lodratio  yeah thats the plan and yeah i figured the lannister logo makes sense since tywin always goes on about his legacy and the house etc so it seems fitting
@Eduardo I love warhammer 40k! and in general that whole bulky huge power armor thing is amazing.

Well i come full circle and i think i like this design and ill stick with it or close to it, onto the compositions and other things!

RE: Hobitt's WIP'S - Hobitt - 03-17-2016

Alright compositions

RE: Hobitt's WIP'S - kopper - 03-17-2016

Thumbnail 5 looks good to me, it's got that "regal" Tywin feel about it. Placing his head in the near the top of the composition also gives him more powerful position in the frame (compared to the other thumbs), like an old master painting of a king. Might be a good idea to analyze a master painting that has a similar quality.

RE: Hobitt's WIP'S - Amit Dutta - 03-17-2016

I agree with Kopper. Thumb 5 is pretty evocative and the lighting scheme suits nicely. Perhaps he is standing in front of his space desk, in his space office, with his space banner behind him (could be a screen or holo of some sort?). We often see Tywin at a desk working in the series. If you choose that one, do a few more comps, just to get it as balanced and dynamic as possible, and begin to work out more fundamentals, like his pose (very stiff atm, even if he is standing there, there can be dynamic rhythm to his gesture and pose to keep it interesting). Might also want to try extending the canvas up a little more and have a longer banner, as it feels a little claustrophobic atm. Koppers suggestion to go to master paintings of full figure portraits of royalty etc might be very useful.

RE: Hobitt's WIP'S - slash razor - 03-17-2016

great stuff Hobitt, not sure how the Imp is suppose to kill his father Tywin Cyborg Lannister lol he looks unstoppable... but it definitely looks like him, has his charisma and the feel of a very powerful man, well done!... also your comps are spot on, just has that feel of power, I do like 5 but I'm leaning more towards 4 just looks like you looking up at him as he surveys his subjects....

RE: Hobitt's WIP'S - EduardoGaray - 03-18-2016

hey man, since you like WH40K, i think something along the lines of the armor and design of the emperor, i mean THE GOD EMPEROR OF MANKIND would be awesome for Tywin.