Crimson Daggers — Art forum
Flo's sketchbook - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: PERSONAL ARTWORK (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: SKETCHBOOKS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Flo's sketchbook (/thread-757.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

RE: Flo's sketchbook - Lex_paul - 07-01-2013

nice sketchbook man, i see an evolution and that is great! Also i can see you have an fine eye for colors and you do good on that. Keep posting;)

RE: Flo's sketchbook - Flo - 07-12-2013

@ Lex_Paul: thanks a lot. It is great to hear that.

Here is a turn-around for you guys and a tower-concept.

For the girl I used a photo to get the proportions correct. I also used smart-objects to mirror one side to the other and speed up the process.

The tower was first blocked out in 3ds Max and then refined in photoshop.

Tomorrow I will go to south-east-asia for 2 months with my girl friend. I will take water-colors with me so I can make studies of the environment and people there. So after the 2 months I will update some more. Until then, I wish everybody a great time and a successful summer-pitch: http://www.livestream.com/fuckinartwithmrdelicious/video?clipId=pla_358bed49-9cb9-47c9-88b2-39d7015ddf94

Cheers,
Flo

RE: Flo's sketchbook - Flo - 07-14-2013

so this is the last update before we go.

I am super excited!

Cya soon!

RE: Flo's sketchbook - ramalooke - 08-16-2013

Heeeeeey, pretty sexy linework on those towers. Pretty sexy everything. Sexy sketchbook of a sexy artist. I digg that.

RE: Flo's sketchbook - Flo - 08-16-2013

hmmm rama, so much love.
at the Moment i am in Vietnam and doing some pencil and water color work while reading through "the famous artist course" on my lovely tablet. i will post it when i am back, can't wait to get some feedback on it.

hugs n kisses

flo

RE: Flo's sketchbook - Flo - 09-19-2013

Wuuuuhuuuu
Back from the dead.

New WIP

Design? Anatomy? Colors? Everything? Please dont hold anything back.

Cheers,
Flo

RE: Flo's sketchbook - Flo - 09-20-2013

it goes on and on

RE: Flo's sketchbook - Flo - 09-22-2013

it is getting somewhere, but I dont know where that is...
thanks again to monkeybread for all the great tips <3

RE: Flo's sketchbook - Flo - 09-23-2013

From July 13th to September 11th my girlfriend and I travelled through South East Asia. It was an awesome time, with a lot of memories and impressions. But it also meant I had to unplug from Photoshop.

At first I thought, that I should take a digital painting programm with me. And I did. I bought a cheap tablet pc (Acer Iconia B) and installed Autodesks "Sketchbook". But I soon discovered, that the tablet wasn't really good in processing my input in the way I wanted and so I stopped using it pretty soon.

Instead I kept a water-color-moleskin-sketchbook, a Pentel brush, pencils (of course) and a pocket-water-color-set. In the beginning I had trouble to control the new medium (water color). But the more I used it, I learned to achieve the look I wanted. Of course I wouldn't say, that I am good with it now. I let the pictures speak for themselves. But I learned some interesting new things about making pictures. Especially to think about edges more.

And also I read an really awesome PDF, a friend of me gave me. It is called "The complete famous artists course" and is the digitalized version of a written curriculum created by a group of roughly 15 illustrators around the year 1960. To throw out a name: Norman Rockwell was one of them.

Taking some time to read through the first chapters of the PDF was already pretty awesome. I think I learned more in the 2 months travelling than would I have stayed home. Of course I can't proof that, it is just a feeling.

My scanner is not the best in the world so some contrasts are totally lost (especially on the waterfall picture). I try but I couldn't fix it in Photoshop. Still I hope it is enjoyable for you to look through them. If you have any critique or comments, please let me know.

Love,
Flo
se are the results that resemble humans the most. I hope you like it.

RE: Flo's sketchbook - Prabu - 09-23-2013

Sweet drawings man :)

It's like Bilbo's sketchbook but with drawings from your travels. :D
Keep it up bro.

I did a class mode figure drawing session at http://artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/ with my co-workers at Sofatutor at Friday and went to a figure drawing session at Saturday. These are the results that resemble humans the most. I hope you like it.

this weeks studies :)

Illustrations I did at work. Very stylized and I used reference.

This weeks theme: Germany's flora

Oh yeah, finally I start to understand color-relationships. Still I dont really know what is going on but putting complementary colors next to each other EVERYWHERE is so much fun. it feels like having a brand new toy :D

It is definitely more vibrant now. Also I enlarged the head bit and worked on the feet.

And I did something stupid by using the smudge tool set to "sample all layers" and forgetting about the background D: but thats no problem, I clean that up tomorrow.

now I go to rest and dream of colors

RE: Flo's sketchbook - Flo - 09-25-2013

I tried to increase the lighting and make it feel more realistic. ATM I am not 100% sure, what makes a lighting situation seem realistic. Is it the right distribution of value? are my colors to saturated to look realistic? I still need to figure a lot out. I looked at some Applibot stuff, mainly one archer- and one angle-piece and I think it already helped a lot, but still some information is missing. Maybe you guys have an idea?

RE: Flo's sketchbook - Flo - 09-26-2013

I fixed her bow-holding arm, it looked weird and I am happier with this solution.

Problem now: I dont know how to bring her to the next level. Maybe someone has an idea? I still think there is a problem with the lighting and colors.

Cant wait for some c&c

Cheers,
Flo

RE: Flo's sketchbook - Jonas Jerde - 09-26-2013

It might be nice to get something in the foreground, maybe push the character back in space a little. I say this because it feels like there should be something else in the image that has that hard sharpness that the character has. Or at the very least something in between (sharpness levels). Maybe play with some cool clouds or something in the background as long as they don't get too distracting. Also, when you add the string to the bow I think some motion blur would be cool to give it that look like it's springing back and forth after its been shot.

RE: Flo's sketchbook - Flo - 09-27-2013

Hey guys,

I changed her pose to get a more fluid "cross" as MannUp puts it. (in the critique section)

I applied some adjustment layers (saturation/brightness, contrast) and smart filters (smart blur) to make the face, shoulders and hand pop more. also i tried to get a better feeling of spacing and overlapping in it by make the forms that are overlapped blurry at the cross sections. Mr Gurney can explain it better than me: Color and Light p. 140 ff. ^^

In the next step I will go over it and blur some parts up more. but for now I cant keep working because my scratch-disks are full. that sucks. I have to clean up my pc ^^

cheers,
flo

RE: Flo's sketchbook - Flo - 09-29-2013

hey guys,

I had to get my mind off Azura (the bird-girl) and do something new and fun. Strangely this most of the time turns into mutants. I guess because they are "easy" to draw and there is a lot of freedom with them.

Anyways the idea is that the mushrooms on the ground have infected him and using him as a host. It is similar to the concept of the enemies in "the last of us". I havent played it but heard it is good.

now back to azura^^

cheers,
flo

okay so Anna Steinbauer gave me an awesome crit and after all that monkeybread said about choosing 1 focal point and making everything else support that i changed the light a bit

also added a background and a foreground

no i have to rest

good night to you

RE: Flo's sketchbook - iCi - 09-29-2013

Azura is coming out nicely, I really respect the fact that you are sticking to it until you nail it. Every step it's getting better and better.

thanks a lot :)

still it is not finished^^