Crimson Daggers — Art forum
Ice's Journey - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: PERSONAL ARTWORK (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: SKETCHBOOKS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Ice's Journey (/thread-8047.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Ice's Journey - Ice Rider - 01-20-2017

In today's update some color studies from other artists and probably my first environment painting. I would be glad if you guys can tell me your overall thoughts about it and also what needs improvement :)

RE: Ice's Journey - AlexShi - 01-20-2017

Hi!
Overall it looks very nice so far. I like the color composition and the mood. Is it finished? It looks like it is still a work in progress, probably because of the rough edges. Also the main focus, which is the rocky entrance to a dungeon maybe?, looks a little uninteresting in it's shape. I think it needs more variety. Also the composition of the rock clusters in front of the entrance look a bit unnatural. Maybe adding a bit more perspective to them and sharpening the edges would help?

I hope this helps!

RE: Ice's Journey - Ice Rider - 01-20-2017

Thank you for advices AlexShi, I was considering this piece as almost finished. I'm especially satisfied how the firt plane came out, however as you said I need to work on the further elements and give them more interesting shapes. I'll post a new version soon!

Edit: As promised here's updated one, I redesigned mountain and rocks a bit, and tried to add some more atmosphere feeling

RE: Ice's Journey - Ice Rider - 02-01-2017

Some still life studies I did recently in order to better understand color and materials + one env study.

RE: Ice's Journey - alexdanila - 02-02-2017

Great thumbs and color studies! i really need to start doing stuff like this.

RE: Ice's Journey - alexdanila - 02-03-2017

For the spoilers write  - spoiler in brackets [] at the beggining of the post and /spoiler in brackets at the end of the content

RE: Ice's Journey - Ice Rider - 02-07-2017

An illustration I did recently, I'm quite satisfied with the overall effect, however I would be glad if you guys can tell me what needs improvement.

RE: Ice's Journey - NoodleInBox - 02-07-2017

Oh wow the last one took be by surprise :O you really stepped up your game in this one. Cant say anyting else really. Just keep doing what you re doing cause it seems to work :D

RE: Ice's Journey - Danny - 02-08-2017

Reaally like the your latest painting! In my opinion all you have to do is find some material reference perhaps and render it a bit more. A few hours I think will do it for his illustration. Also add in the occlusion shadows to make the image more 3-dimensional! Overall just try to push it as far as you can. Still as I said, I really like it!

RE: Ice's Journey - Ice Rider - 02-08-2017

Thank you NoodleInBox and Danny, It's always hard to push some more when you consider your artwork as finished, but maybe after few days of rest, I'll try to add a little bit so that it could look good in portfolio :)

RE: Ice's Journey - Axrel - 02-08-2017

Wow! Awesome work! Love your most recent piece! You have a very good handle on your brush strokes- it makes it very dynamic!

RE: Ice's Journey - Ice Rider - 02-16-2017

Still fighting with those still life studies, this time I was painting one with natural light and then overpaint with direct light.

RE: Ice's Journey - Ice Rider - 03-01-2017

Portrait with 4 different lightning setting, top left one is from reference, others from imagination with help of references

RE: Ice's Journey - VoodooMama - 03-05-2017

hello!
Really like your studies, specially the still lifes, they are a great way to practice!
I really like your illustration! The color, composition and pose all work!
I agree with Danny, in my opinion, just focus on rendering and adding more detail to the focal point.

Great stuff!

RE: Ice's Journey - Ice Rider - 03-28-2017

Long time no see guys! Here I come with my latest environmnent painting on theme 'desolation' :) This time grayscale only.

RE: Ice's Journey - alexdanila - 03-28-2017

Really like those life value studies! It's great how you moved the light like that, i should try that when i get around to life studies

RE: Ice's Journey - Ice Rider - 03-29-2017

Thank you alexdanila! I recommend to try this, it definietly helps to understand how light has effect on the objects and how materials behave :)

RE: Ice's Journey - alexdanila - 03-29-2017

I plan to do a schoolism lighting fundamental class soon. right now i'm studying gesture drawing.

RE: Ice's Journey - Hozure - 03-29-2017

Ayye, those lighting studies look like fun. Think you could do one with environments?

RE: Ice's Journey - Ice Rider - 03-30-2017

Thanks Hozure, I'm working on something like this right now, so there will be more soon ;)