Crimson Daggers — Art forum
Guess it's time I introduced myself - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: PERSONAL ARTWORK (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: SKETCHBOOKS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-10.html)
+---- Forum: INTRODUCE YOURSELF (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-2.html)
+---- Thread: Guess it's time I introduced myself (/thread-8896.html)

Guess it's time I introduced myself - Zarkatos - 07-02-2020

So yeah, guess I never introduced myself. Recently joined here after Conceptart.org shut down. 

I always dreamed of becoming a concept artist since I was 12 years old, I made a bunch of , let's say it awful sketchbooks on conceptart.org, (it's fine if you never see them lol) I have the dedication and willpower, but I definitely lack a lot of the talent and speed of learning many other artists possess, But we all have our own speeds and our only rival is truly ourselves.                                                                                                                                                                                                 

I've always believed I can make up for it if I work extra hard. Only recently have I been able to afford courses, growing up I was moved from foster home to foster home, so art was my only escape and solace, I've never taken an actual art class until recently and I battle with health problems that I inherited through genetics, so I can't work as hard as I used to, but luckily making art isn't as physical as other jobs. I can honestly say my life hasn't been easy, both in the system and afterwards working night shifts to survive, but it inspired me to work harder, though I have had times when I didn't know if it was worth it. 

I''m very thankful for all help and advice from other artists, and it's nice to be part of a community like this again now that conceptart.org is shut down, It's great to see a place where artists can all grow together, I just hope I can reach my dreams one day, and that I'll be able to make art that I'm truly proud of. Until last year, I quit art completely for several years so I still feel a bit rusty here and there.

-Sorry for the long winded post lol

RE: Guess it's time I introduced myself - Pubic Enemy - 07-02-2020

It doesn't make much sense to say this here, but I'll say it anyway: Welcome aboard, LOL.

You've certainly had a tough time in life. I don't want to give you any lame platitudes, but you seem like you're going through an emotional low point, so I do want to say that you shouldn't doubt yourself too much regarding your learning speed. People who rapidly get to a professional level in art usually don't have major long-term issues in the other areas of their life, or at least not of the variety that interferes with their ability to devote all or most of their energy and focus to art. And of course, having a little savant-like talent doesn't hurt...

Also, if you're working hard at grinding studies and feeling like you're not getting anywhere, you might be working a little TOO hard. I've seen multiple professional artists comment that brute force grinding for 8+ hours a day doesn't necessarily lead to maximal improvement. It will definitely kill your brain though. So don't beat yourself up if you ever think you're not working as hard as you "should". Lastly, I don't see anything in your sketchbook that indicates a learning deficiency. A lot of your pieces are pleasing to the eye. The worst thing I can say is that you may be trying to tackle too many subjects at once. Everyone has to figure out how to practice in their own way though.

If nothing in the previous 2 paragraphs applies to you, then feel free to ignore them. I hope I said something marginally helpful though. Keep on truckin'