Crimson Daggers — Art forum
Jones Sketchbook - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: PERSONAL ARTWORK (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: SKETCHBOOKS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Jones Sketchbook (/thread-911.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

RE: Jones Sketchbook - PurpleScissors - 04-06-2016

Awesome designs. I love the process GIFs.

RE: Jones Sketchbook - Mechanizoid - 04-29-2016

Hey man, it's Mecha from the stream. :) I clicked on your thread and was like "WTF this can't be the guy who drew those cool monsters" and then I realized it was the first page of your SB. You've improved markedly, keep it up!

BTW you draw awesome monsters, please draw more of them!

RE: Jones Sketchbook - Jonesoda - 05-06-2016

thanks Purple and Mecha! heres some new monsters n stuff

RE: Jones Sketchbook - Jonesoda - 05-06-2016

quick broken sketch before bed

RE: Jones Sketchbook - OtherMuzz - 05-06-2016

Hey man! Awe inspiring amount of work in here! Tons of solid growth!

I though i would drop a bit of feedback as i'm seeing some problems in your fiished illustrations that are holding you back a bit.

your silhouettes and imagined forms are far too simple. i think you are currently in a stage where you don't want to draw what you don't understand, but that has the problem of having really weird smooth anatomical forms. And instead you are trying to compensate by adding tons of tiny contrasty detail to the internals of form, which i personally think are subtracting more from the painting than they add.

Like on this painting just breaking the tree's shillouette helps make it feel so much more natural.

TLDR: more shilloutte and form detail, less noodley detail.

Hope that helps!

[Image: wvjblz.jpg]

RE: Jones Sketchbook - smrr - 05-17-2016

Yo Jones!
Happy Birthday man <33 ! Hope ya had a fan-bloody-tastic day! You deserve all that you put into your work and more

You're a beast

Keep up the crazy work dude :D

RE: Jones Sketchbook - Jonesoda - 07-12-2016

Already caught you in the hangout awhile back and we discussed it, but thanks again Muzz! 

Thanks Steph! <3 Late response but I did indeed read it around my birthday

--

Some stufff, been a busy busy couple months. Can't wait until I can share the work from this past job in the next couple weeks.

Also for anyone interested, I'm streaming daily on my twitch, back to a study routine https://www.twitch.tv/russellrjones

RE: Jones Sketchbook - Mechanizoid - 07-12-2016

Hey Jones, cool to see more updates! :-) Lots of rough stuff here, but it all looks cool. Can't wait to see where you go with these characters. BTW, if you promise to stream more than you painting one banana, I might join in. :D

RE: Jones Sketchbook - AaronJordan - 07-13-2016

I love looking at your progress over time. Thanks

RE: Jones Sketchbook - Zipfelzeus - 07-13-2016

You're doing the lord's work here! Absolutly nice work! What is there more to say?

RE: Jones Sketchbook - alexdanila - 07-13-2016

Your stuff reminds me of Pirates of the Dark Water. Really like your creature designs

RE: Jones Sketchbook - Jonesoda - 07-16-2016

Mecha - thanks :D and I'm afraid I can only paint a single banana at a time, I'm sorry <3

AaronJordan - Thanks Man! It's already been a long journey, but so so far to go

Zipfel - haha thanks dude

Alex - I've never seen it, but I just looked up the trailer and does it ever look awesome, I gotta watch it!

--

Little update, just stuff for fun, if this was client stuff I'd probably be polishing and blending areas out for a couple hours longer

RE: Jones Sketchbook - Jonesoda - 07-17-2016

Thanks! That one was fun, I might try another something!

RE: Jones Sketchbook - Mechanizoid - 07-17-2016

Hey Jones! That was you painting the pug on Drivebyuppercut's stream last night? I totally didn't recognize you by your real name and just watched you painting away, LOL. :D Awesome pug man. That face... <3

I must link the sad song and visualize him crying as he stares into the sunset. But I know that in the direction he is looking, out of the frame, there are not one but several airships. XD

Keep up the good work man!

RE: Jones Sketchbook - Adam Lina - 07-17-2016

You really captured the sadness in his face lol. You guys should do more of those streams.

RE: Jones Sketchbook - Jonesoda - 07-19-2016

You guys are both beautiful handsome men 

somethin new, finally done!

RE: Jones Sketchbook - Adam Lina - 07-19-2016

Russell, you are a gentleman and a scholar. Tis a fine looking warrior-wench. Is she holding a bone sword?

RE: Jones Sketchbook - Mechanizoid - 07-19-2016

Nice warrior lady, Jones! I like the looks of her very much. I share Adam's curiosity about her formidable-looking sidearm. XD

RE: Jones Sketchbook - Jonesoda - 07-20-2016

Thanks guys! Yeah its a carved bone sword, Realistically I doubt it would do any good...but....fantasy :D

RE: Jones Sketchbook - Zipfelzeus - 07-20-2016

Yeah I agree with the crowd! The last one is fabulous! I really like how you handeled the skin tones. The only thing I wished is that you put more of these bronze designs on her. They are really cool but they are kinda sparse on her.