Crimson Daggers — Art forum
Character design - Printable Version

+- Crimson Daggers — Art forum (//crimsondaggers.com/forum)
+-- Forum: PERSONAL ARTWORK (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: SEEKING CRITIQUE/PAINTOVERS (//crimsondaggers.com/forum/forum-36.html)
+--- Thread: Character design (/thread-9132.html)

Character design - StudioZ - 01-25-2021

I tried to follow through a youtube tutorial on designing characters by knight zhang and I wanted to get some tips from the crimson daggers. :D

RE: Character design - darktiste - 01-25-2021

What suppose to behind him a forest or a cave?I can't really tell...why is the grass black?I am mean it not that bad for the rest maybe expect the strange white stuff i can't necessarly understand what it is exactly.
Cool concept overall.Just try to make your idea clear and believable.

RE: Character design - gerbenpasjes - 01-25-2021

(01-25-2021, 11:25 AM)darktiste Wrote: What suppose to behind him a forest or a cave?I can't really tell...why is the grass black?I am mean it not that bad for the rest maybe expect the strange white stuff i can't necessarly understand what it is exactly.
Cool concept overall.Just try to make your idea clear and believable.

Agreed! I did a 30 mins speed paint over to get my feedback across. It's mainly about readability. Everything is a little bit unclear, which is not only a problem of controlling the values, but also not having a clear picture of the purpose of the piece.

Close your eyes and form the space of your painting in your mind. There's a person, she stands on a floor. The floor recedes until it hits the forest, where trees stand on top of the floor like a wall. There is a light, which shines on the person and also the floor. Where does it illuminate the floor? Where does it reflect into the viewer's lens? Really see this in your mind's eye and keep going to that space in your head while you paint. It will change your decision-making process from educated guessing into "simple" maths. 

I'm not a character design by any stretch of the imagination, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Nevertheless, I believe the principles underlying my feedback are solid, no matter the sloppy execution of them haha.