MF's SB.
You're textures getting crazy good, rendering makes me happy inside ; - ;

Thanks, guys. :)

Had an idea for a Halloween illo - 3 trick-or-treaters, 1 of them a monster underneath a costume. Drew up some thumbs, did a color comp, came up with some lines, then started to block in colors.

Attached Files Image(s)

quick creature sketch - not too thrilled with how it turned out - and more work on the halloween illo.

Attached Files Image(s)

Aww hell yes!

Your sketchbook is wonderful to look through! Can't believe I haven't seen it before

I love the fact that you're planning your illustrations (... something I have yet to do, /facepalm)

the creature/beast is sweeeeeet and this Halloween illustration is dripping in awesomesauce... and it's not even finished yet!

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out ^ ^

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
whoa all that goodness while I was gone.Keep up the awesome stuff man! On that topless lady study I'd say pay a bit more attention to the color temperature.You got the values locked down perfectly.Your colors are just a tad colder than those on the refference. I adore the mood of the halloween picture tho.Looking forward to the finnished piece.

Thanks, guys. :)

A little more on this one.

Attached Files Image(s)

This halloween piece is great. Love the lighting you've got going on. I don't have a crit, only a suggestion; to push the monster aspect how about shortening the tail/body slightly (which could still be interpreted as an elaborate costume) and having a little trail of slime after it? Just an idea. Great image either way.

A bit more. Getting tired of it at this point, especially since I wasn't happy with the girl, the colors are getting away from me and a mess of other shit. Oh well.

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice job man, this sketchbook is killing it.
However, (and you will hate me for this since you dont like her) I think the image was stronger with the girl in it. She really sold the story of what was happening and her not being there has left a hole in the composition.
Also, odd numbers are better than even (5 figures instead of 4) I know it sounds like bull shit but its not bad as far as guides go.
If you are getting tired of it the best thing you can do is walk away. Start something new and come back to it, dont make yourself hate it.
Keep up the good work man, looking forward to seeing more :)

man your creatures are something else! really cool stuff

Nah, I don't hate you, Jaik. I agree that's it better with a 5th figure in there. She just started looking hideous, and I got too much fear in my little heart to continue on with her. The main problem is that I'm just bored with it, so I'm going to move on to something else and might come back to it later.

Awesome stuff man. Always fine to walk away from something if it's not working out. That's the benefit of personal work I guess. Your rendering's getting so good though. Keep it coming, looking forward to more :)

just some studies tonight. figure drawing and a head painting.

Attached Files Image(s)

If you decide to go back to the halloween piece at some point (which I think you should as it's a great image) I agree with Jaik about the girl.

I probably will go back to eventually, but for now I feel like I just need to study a lot more. There were too many areas that I felt uncomfortable, so I've made a list and I plan on tackling them before moving on.

I haven't been too sure of the planes that are in around the eye, so I studies that tonight. I'd like to go back and refresh all of my anatomy, in fact. I also want to be able to draw expressive and interesting faces confidently, so I'll be studying that as well.

Attached Files Image(s)

I'm always trying to replicate natural media in Photoshop. Some people probably think it's futile, but I won't be happy until I do. Starting with pencils, I came up with some that I like for now and have a test page here. Along side it is an older (quite terrible) scanned pencil drawing for comparison. I want to attempt charcoals and then oils.

Attached Files Image(s)

Portrait from imagination tonight to reinforce studies.

Attached Files Image(s)

Huh, that pencil photoshop thing looks pretty spot on dude. That's so cool. Fuck people who think it's futile, the software's just a jumping off point, do whatever you like with it. Looks great :D.

I agree, the traditional look is not futile! I'm quite surprised with how well you emulated it! Wouldn't have thought it to be digital without reading the description. That smudge is really hot! :D
In the last post, is that a texture of a canvas or did you create an awesome brush? :O

And I'm sorry to point this out, but that's a monkey and not a natural phenomenon known as a Blizzard. ( I'm so sorry)

Agreed with Bjulvar, I think you need to study your animal kingdom and natural disasters a little closer.. I mean.. About the traditional media stuff. I just assumed it was traditional, then read the description and still didn't believe it until I got my head 5cm from the screen. Nice job.

If you want to be pointed in the right direction for expressions etc, go check out Suzanne's class in the mentor section on portrait drawing. Some really neat livestreams and assignments for you to try (sad to say, like everything I do, I didn't finish it but it did help loads!)