My sketchbook
Hi all, so i've been drawing some stuff, i'll be posting here for you guys to you check it out.

the first is a self portrait, hey there handsome!

and the second is a sketch assingment along with a painting.

[attachment=36603]

[attachment=36604]
Day 1.

So i got this site (http://artists.pixelovely.com/practice-t...e-drawing/) to randomize poses for me, all of these are based on photos, i'll try to do one of these everyday and post it here.

This is half an hour of sketching in class mode, i got back to some of these that i thought to be too unpolished.

so i recently watched that TED talk about the first 20 hours, and i thought, i'm goind to do these 30min sketches until i complete 20 hours, my goal is to draw human figure as fast as possible with the least mistakes as possible, only 19 hours to go!

also adding these 2 other drawings from my sketchbook, tell me what you think of them!

Dude, you have to put a lot more thoughts on your character, they don't show any volume, the values doesn't follow any light source ! Your ted talk is great ! Try to follow it, and learn enough about light theory and perspective, and practice !!!

(11-08-2013, 07:54 AM)kikindaface Wrote: Dude, you have to put a lot more thoughts on your character, they don't show any volume, the values doesn't follow any light source ! Your ted talk is great ! Try to follow it, and learn enough about light theory and perspective, and practice !!!

Hey, thanks for replying!
I realize i have some issues with perspective, light and shadow, do you have any suggestions on how to study these?

(11-09-2013, 11:07 AM)Gabriel-H Wrote:
(11-08-2013, 07:54 AM)kikindaface Wrote: Dude, you have to put a lot more thoughts on your character, they don't show any volume, the values doesn't follow any light source ! Your ted talk is great ! Try to follow it, and learn enough about light theory and perspective, and practice !!!

Hey, thanks for replying!
I realize i have some issues with perspective, light and shadow, do you have any suggestions on how to study these?

tackle one thing at a time with total devotion. Say perspective - do it (and I mean DO IT, not read about it and that's all. - study, incorporate what you learn, and practice) for 2 - 3 months.
and then adress next issue...
Good luck!

Hey Tatar, thanks for replying too! Yeah, i will focus on one thing at a time, i'll go to perspective next and then lightning, for perspective studies i thought of looking for interesting pictures or drawing and studying the hhorizon line, vanishing points etc, but i'm not so sure on how to study light and shadow...

anyway, another gesture study is here, only 18h30min left!

You've got nice clean contour lines. I suggest when studying figures to try reinterpreting what you see into boxes and cylinders. It'll help you understand the forms better.

Go grab Scott Robertson's Basic Perspective Drawing DVD off of Gnomon. Then when you've gotten comfortable with accurate perspective drawing and building basic forms in 3D space, you can grab his matte rendering DVD's to begin understanding how to render simple and complex forms in perspective with correct value assignment. It's all very methodical and scientific study, so it only takes the time put into it to get it down.

Hey guys, thank you for your attention! its hard to reinterpretate some of these shapes sometimes because i have to do them so fast, the first ones are done in 30 seconds, but the last ones give me some extra time that i take to polish/finish the others, but i'll take that advice in consideration!

Thanks for the tip MrFrenik, i'll be sure to check it out!

My right hand hurts a little after this study, some times i get really tense when drawing on my tablet, but that rarely happens on traditional media. It's so hot here in brazil, i had some trouble in focusing this weekend and skipped a day, but anyway, here is today's sketch!

Hey guys, this is today's studies, i realized that forms away from the body are harder to draw, probably because they have less parameter around them to tell their size, also today i had some more time and did the shadows of the last figure, check it out!

Today's sketches + a wip sickbrush's assingment, what do you think of it?

Today's sketch along that sickle, i'm calling it done for now!

I'm going on a trip, i'll spend some time w/o any uploads for now, this is today's sketch, see you later!

hi guys, my latest sketches, i managing my anxiety so my hand doesn't hurt so bad, i'm not so sure about these latest studies, i feel like some are worse than ones from the beginning? i've been thinking about other subjects to study, i guess i should try environments or perspective...

I got the same feeling that some of my gestures from a few weeks ago were better after doing them everyday. Maybe its just that we dont always draw at our maximum potential. Some days you'll be on your game others you'll just be going through the motions. At least thats what I like to think so I havnt wasted the last few weeks practicing gestures relentlessly haha!

(11-22-2013, 12:08 PM)Hypnagogic_Haze Wrote: I got the same feeling that some of my gestures from a few weeks ago were better after doing them everyday. Maybe its just that we dont always draw at our maximum potential. Some days you'll be on your game others you'll just be going through the motions. At least thats what I like to think so I havnt wasted the last few weeks practicing gestures relentlessly haha!

Hey man, thanks for replying, 'ill do some of these for the time being, take a master painting and get the gestures from them, it's less boring and you also get to do master studies!

This is Bouguereau's Admiration i believe.

Nice master study. You should try also to do some gestures from your imagination after you do a study. Copying is one thing but when you draw a pose from imagination its a true test of you knowledge of the figure. I struggled bad with coming up with poses from my imagination before but after a month of gestures everyday I can do half way decent foreshortened limbs and twisting torsos.

Thanks for the comments Haze, some of these sketches are performed on 30s, so sometimes there's no time to finish them, when i get extra time i go back and come up with a pose on my own, can you spot them?

also here's today's study, it is based on N. C. Wyeth:

what are you trying to study with this last one? Composition? Value? Construction? Having a clear idea of what you need to be getting out of a study is the best way to go about studying. And again, I still recommend hitting perspective studies and nothing but those for a good while.