Rotten's Pocket
Hi ! :D

Thanks for visiting my SB here !

I really like your concepts and how your rendering has that 'old' texture feel to it, especially with the last one.
He has potential to be a great piece but before that, I think you could fix his facial proportions a bit and add more details to his body like some leaf texture or something, to make him feel more natural (hope this make sense xD)

Overall, keep it up ! : )

Shin's Sketchbook ▼ ▼ ▼Patreon ▼ ▼ ▼ dArt
Fuck work while trying to study art hahahahaha :(

YOU. HAVE. TO. PARTICIPATE. IN. THE. NEXT. CRUCIBLE!!! The more artists we get entering basis, the BETTER!

I believe in you hardcore, despite the bullshit the job drags around :3

Thanks guys. I know, I've been terrible I just need to take the first opportunity to take some time out and get my head back in the game. 

Some dooodling this afternoon, not happy with any of it. Anything structured just goes to shit so did some freeform sketching instead and as usual characters just make themselves. Boop.

Click Here For Image [font=arial, sans-serif]↓[/font]

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida
I'm not doing ok, with art or life.

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

I sent you a pm. My Dad has developed dementia as well, and it's a tough thing to deal with on top of so much more. Anyways, the offer in my pm is a standing one, so anytime you want. Also, I like that doodle! Hardly useless and generic :)

YouTube free learnin! | DeviantArt | Old Folio | Insta
Sorry to hear about all this. It sounds really intense.

If art is causing you more anxiety than anything else right now, you shouldn't bash yourself up because you can't prioritise it right now. I say focus on what you need to, and look after yourself :).

Drawing out of perspective is like singing out of tune. I'll throw a shoe at you if you do it.
Sketch Book
Sorry to hear about your grandmother. Grief can be pretty crippling so dont beat yourself up over not drawing. You'll be a stronger person having dealt with the pain.

I've been sitting here for ages trying to write a reply but didn't know what to say, so I'll just say thanks to everyone, both here and otherwise who've given me their thoughts and suggestions. It helps.

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Sounds like you're going through some really tough times right now RP. I hope things improve for you and your grandmother. Good thinking about the showering - I find that it's the little routines like that which help carry me through sometimes (as well as making me smell a bit better :)). Take care.

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandmother, that's really tough. Dealing with grief like that isn't easy, so don't berate yourself too much over not drawing. Art shouldn't be a source of anxiety for you, especially when everything is coming at you at once like this. Look after yourself first!

I hope things are better for you soon. ;u; Take care. BTW, your sketches right now are hardly boring and generic. Just do what you feel up to, and you'll get back in the game soon! On a more selfish note, your drawings satisfy me, and I'm sure many other people. You communicate a very nice vision. I love your "unconventional relationship" painting with the girl and the cool monster. <3

"Drawing is a skill like hammering a nail. You might not be great at it yet, but there is nothing stopping you from gettin' down and hammering away." -Irshad Karim

Sketchbook!
Again, much appreciated, everyone. I suppose something like this happens to all of us eventually, just this time it was me. Currently I have no idea where my grandmother is or how she is. The family always uses the whole 'Oh, I don't have your number,' rubbish even though I get messages - /rant

It's put me into a deeper art funk but I've been reading some very encouraging things from people that have helped me gain a tiny bit more focus. 

I'm gonna keep doing Me. I know my work is flawed and I'm shit with deadlines but I know that my keeping at it I can fix any problems I have with my work. I struggle to follow certain instructions mostly because I feel like it's trying to make my work like some other artist. I'd rather hang around and strip down the info I need from places like this and focus on my own projects and goals. 

And on that note - lunchtime scrawl idunno... but thanks Mech :)

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Quote:I struggle to follow certain instructions mostly because I feel like it's trying to make my work like some other artist.

Its not a bad thing if your work starts to look like other artists. It wont last for ever and as long as its an artist you like. Its a natural progression to learn from others until you can evolve passed it.

And about the family issues. Obviously I dont know the situation well enough to give any input other than how you can manage your response. Im gonna give you the same advice I gave someone else recently. Stop focusing on what others do and focus on what you can do about the situation. You'll drive yourself crazy thinking in a loop about what other people do that pisses you off. Accept the situation and allow yourself to feel how you feel about it and move on. Its hard when theres people you care about involved but when the problem isnt right in front of you theres no use in thinking about it endlessly. I think the hardest part of becoming a working artist is managing whats going on in your life enough to stay consistently productive. Focusing on the long game is what keeps me going anyways. I hope thats helpful and not too preachy sounding.

I agree to an extent - what I do matters more. My only qualm is that I will often do for others before myself. It's only a challenge because so much seems to bombard all at once and my energy is only finite. The hardest part of being an artist is definitely staying productive, but you can't tell me most people don't have it easier than others. 

I can barely keep afloat as an average human right now let alone an artist, so it's always going to be a hurdle. I'm just passionate about the people closest to me.. 

Moving on from that outburst, something to remind myself I draw men, too... and then my usual horned/snake ladies...

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Your men are looking great! Love the expression on the bald guy and I love your snake ladies too :).

Keep up the awesomeness RP!

“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.

CD Sketchbook

Quote:The hardest part of being an artist is definitely staying productive, but you can't tell me most people don't have it easier than others.

Well, most people in the world dont have the opportunities we have by the shear fact that we're on the internet talking to each other from opposite sides of the world. And when you think of all the people that have lived before us...

I respect the hell outa the fact that you help people so much. But wouldnt you be more helpful to everyone in the long run if you were happy with the direction of your life? You only have a limited amount of time to change things for the better. I dont mean abandon everyone you care about. As long as you spend some amount of time on art each day, be it 10 minutes or whatever, you're moving in the direction you want to be. I think you might be too hard on yourself about not getting more done under the circumstances. I know i've felt that way.

@Adam

I'm not gonna lie, I've hit a pretty big all-time low, but as you said it may be a case of being too hard on myself or having too high of an expectation for myself in the immediate sense. I will try.

-----------

HAVE A SKETCH!

again, excuse the shitty phone camera photo - my PC has been playing up again so scanner and digital painting has been off-limits. The hair is way big, but I like it so might just tweak in PhotoChop when I'm able.

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

I have a day to play with so let's try to finish this thing...

Final Sketch, and moving onto Photochop. Hoping it doesn't crash again : /

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

This last one came out lookin quite nice. Beautiful headdress.

If I were to give any crits, I'd say rework the shoulders a bit, they're lookin a little bumpy at the moment. Could also use some drapery reference to see how it would would hang to the floor. Mostly havin an issue with the ends of the cape and how it's interacting with the floor.
Thank you Dennis,

I agree with the robes - am currently working over them digitally, the way they stretch out at the bottom was exaggerated when using warp to straighten out the rest of the image. They're actually meant to be made out of her wings, so the bottom needs more folds to show how the top sections are being pulled from the back.

The shoulders were meant to be bumpy, but I did anticipate it looking weird early on - her physiology is like that of an insect and I'll be going over most of her features with sectional plate detail like what you can see in her hand. The wings/robes will be slightly translucent so hopefully the silhouette of her thin, angular limbs will make that more obvious. Definitely will be reworked.

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

I'm calling it a day - kept forgetting to blink so my eyes are like sandpaper.  I'll go back to the robes another time.

Sketcherinos

Link Tree