Crimson CHOW #14 - The Color Wight WIPS
Hey Daggers!

Some of us are game in participating in CHoW for this week, so I'm taking from pnate's CHoW write up and welcoming CHoW #13! 

It won't be a biweekly thing like Nate was doing - just whenever y'all are game! So here goes!:

Welcome to the Crimson CHOW (Character of the Week)! This is a challenge which was created as a way to hone your skills in design and character creation, in a fun and competitive way. Each challenge, we will give you a short character prompt and it is your task to interpret the character as you imagine it, with your own unique spin. The winner will be chosen through a poll in the finals thread, and in addition to being able to pick the next challenge topic, his/her piece will be featured in the "Crimson Champions" Winner's thread!

This weeks CHOW passage is brought to you by our very own... CoreyH! Yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaa!

"Becoming a color wight is the beginning of a descent into madness for the drafter. Happening gradually over time, the color wight will go under the influence of their drafting color's psychological influences; blue drafters will become hard and logical, greens will become wild, and reds will become creatures of rage. Color wights often commit their bodies to their luxin as well, coating or even replacing their body parts with sealed luxin. Color wights are considered insane and monsters, outcasts from society and are almost always hunted down. Those who worship Orholam also believe that becoming a color wight also damages your soul, though if this is something inherent in the act, defiance of the Pact, or because of the actions color wights take, is unclear."

Your task is to design your interpretation of a "Color Wight". Don't forget to think outside of the box, daggers. Go hard, hustle and bustle!

Guidelines:
  • Photo textures, 3D, and traditional mediums are allowed.
  • There is no restriction on the character's gender, time period or culture.
  • Studies are recommended, but not required.
  • There is no restriction on image formats (horizontal, vertical, square).
  • Environment backgrounds are optional.
  • Keep in mind you are not required to stick to what is in the passage. It is more of a guide in terms of mood.
Rules:
  • You must post at least one WIP in the WIP thread to be accepted into the final poll.
  • Finals must be posted in the finals thread before the deadline.
  • At least 3/4 of the character must be visible (minimum from the knees up). No back views are allowed without a front.
  • Only ONE character please.
  • Only ONE submission per person in the finals thread.
  • Sketches, WIPs, or rushed artwork will not be accepted into the poll.
  • No fanart. We want to see your original, unique interpretations!
  • Have fun!
Deadline is Sunday, August 30 @10pm GMT

sketchbook | pg 52

I'll be back - it's an odyssey, after all
Oh damn, I freekin love that book series!
Gonna be away for 3days, but will /try/ and get some drawings done.

quick lunch time crap

pose studies and ideas

want to make him look "off" to give that psycho feel

Hahaha, I tried to google "color wight," and google assumed I spelled it wrong and gave me a bunch of results about the color white. :D

I might try my hand at this and do some thumbnails, it's an interesting topic!

I have a few thumbs, I think I'm going to do the blue wight on the far right. An ex-knight who was exiled and is now living on the edge of the city, terrorizing any who approach him. He's missing an arm, too, and uses blue magic as an extension from it.

[Image: F230FDBE-C6F9-443D-B8D8-8CA5CCAF84FC_zpsinfcy7pe.jpg]

Moodboard:
[Image: moodboard_zps8ynw9lei.png]

Red- Theres a tribe that worships mind controlling bugs, they offer soldiers for the bugs.
Green- An addict with unstable persona, set in the future, giant batteries.
Blue- Sailor discovers a cache of blue liquid which increases his mental abilities, becomes a captain and outwits his opponents.

I don't know what story this is from but it reminds me of Dragon Age's Lyrium causing Madness. On the flipside there was the corrupting Red Lyrium growing out of Templars every which way. Crystalline growths seem popular, but I'm going for an Alchemist gone Crack Addict and living in the wilds sort of wight.

[Image: 11035735_1674657269430752_87133500970944...e=5683803C]

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida
I don't really know what I'm doing - going for crazed laughter and pointing :)
[Image: colour_wight_wip_by_punk_a_cat-d96xj3f.jpg]

Did some color thumbs and decided to completely change what I was thinking of doing. :P Doing a blue wight, kind of an assassin/thief vibe going on. Her magic is centered in her eyes, where a bright blue haze leaks out.

[Image: wightthumbs2_zpstxxez242.png]

[Image: wightsketch1_zpsekfqiaig.png]

let's try this week. i chose green '-'

Bit of a rush to get this one out between shifts, then I need to get on these commissions that I'm just on a month behind on. If I can colour it properly I will, but might not make the Sunday deadline. Wedding functions mean I don't get back until the am and then open shop the day after. I'm doing a lot of running around but don't seem to be making much $$$ for it. Not as much drawing these days as I'd like.

Anywho, crazy-alchemist-draught-junkie-colour-wight. Green Feral and Wild.

Attached Files Image(s)

Sketcherinos

Link Tree

Discord: emnida
At first I drew a muscular dude who wields a giant inkbrush, and I thought I'd add red paint dripping off his skin later on, but that was a pretty boring design so I thought things over and now I think I want to paint a wandering hermit that uses different colors in combination and keeps it all in balance. Not entirely sure about the bodytype or facial features yet, but I think he/ she will have a backpack with all sorts of drawingtools, inkbottles, painttubes, etc, and maybe they'll have a fountain pen or brush as a staff.

Attached Files Image(s)

really cool stuff guys!

some more thingys

Update.

I'll probably forget to post a wip if I do it later, so I guess I'll better do it right now.
Step 1: find an image, adjust contrast until only 2 values are left, rotate and crop. used to force a composition.
Step 2: make sense. figure out what its gonna be, note ideas. It's gonna be a blue one.
Step 3: bashed 3 photos together (river, sunset mountain, foggy mountains) and painted until the comp was ok, always looking at the image from step 1 in between to stick to the initial compositional direction. mood and a beginning of a story is there already. I'll probably skip to the final from here, I usually merge everything all the time..

Attached Files Image(s)

Looking great, everyone! Your process is really interesting, Jan.

Here's mine so far.

[Image: wightsketch4%20copy_zpsqhns4jij.png]

Very cool to see all the process and progressions here.
 I want to give it a try as well! Though I dont understand much the paragraph ^^ but I picked the color red, an ancient warrior spirit consumed by rage and now turned into a monster.
Here is my image so far
[Image: 14-WIP-2.jpg] 
work in progress
super cool ideas in here. not sure how much I should be updating!
some more