Newl's Amazingly Underwhelming Sketchbook!
Behold! Mediocre art, and various fuckery disguised as studying! I'm a long-time doodler, trying to get serious. Please feel free to rip my work apart, I welcome all crits. Thanks for looking!

Attached, we've got a few face practices, trying to develop a personal style, while also learning the proper curves and facial anatomy. A page of figures, first line is 30 second gestures. 2nd line are a few figures diagrams I learned from Sycra's videos, though mine are still pretty out of whack. And a few longer pose studies.

Attached Files Image(s)

I think you have a great gesture knowledge and the female figures are pretty good. And btw loving that face from the first male figure on the second page, :P what videos/books are you tackling to improve? :D

pd: suscribed!

would you like me to improve? check my SKETCHBOOKKiss
Those female gestures are really good, watch out for the male ones though, they seem a bit too long or too wide proportionwise.

@wasgodx
Thanks! I can't help but put an ugly face (or a dong) on most drawings. As far as learning materials, I've been following Proko's videos. I bought his premium Intro to Figure Drawing set, which was a very helpful place to start. Also been watching Syrca and Alphonso Dunn on youtube, both super helpful and free.

@BrushNoir
Thank you! Yeah, I always felt more comfortable drawing dudes, so I've been putting in a lot of time on female figures. Seems that I've flipped, and now my male proportions are all out of whack! I appreciate that observation.
Ooh nice start dude, good line quality, andd yeah the proko premium vids are fantastic, i'm on his anatomy course currently.

Some rando black/white colored pencil on grey paper drawings.

Faces, faces, faces, until the end of time. They're getting better, but still a ways from where I want to be.

Leg anatomy study from "An Atlas of Anatomy for Artists," by Fritz Schider. Not the best anatomy book I've read from, but it does have a few plates of really nicely simplified anatomy that has been helpful to me.

Random WIP composition for a comic cover idea. Probably not going to finish it...

you draw really good faces, especially the old man on the comic cover
also the male figures are so much better than they were in your first post, fast improvement!

keep it up!
(04-12-2016, 01:11 PM)Triggerpigking Wrote: Ooh nice start dude, good line quality, andd yeah the proko premium vids are fantastic, i'm on his anatomy course currently.

Thank you! How are you liking the anatomy course? Are you using the free vids for that?

(04-12-2016, 05:11 PM)Nada_H Wrote: you draw really good faces, especially the old man on the comic cover
also the male figures are so much better than they were in your first post, fast improvement!

keep it up!

Thanks, Nada_H! I became so focused on getting good at faces that I just ended up feeling unsatisfied with every one I drew. Always nice to hear it's going well despite my own self-criticism. :)

Aaaand a few more posts. A couple digital WIPs. Man, I like, just don't get painting. I'm trying, but I just feel so lost with this topic. Anybody got any tips? Good tutorials? I own (and admittedly haven't really cracked into) "Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter" by James Gurney. That one always comes recommended, but I feel like I don't even have the basic techniques down yet.  

A character, called Newl (hence the name) that I draw when I'm trying new things. I made him up a long time ago, not much to him, but he's stupid enough that I can try new techniques on a drawing of him without caring if I'm going to ruin it. Silly, but it gets me past that hurdle.

Western scene a friend asked me to draw, trying to improve my perspective and figure placement with this. Barely started trying to put down colors and gave up!

Good tutorials? i'd reccomend Istebraks youtube channel, she also hosts critique hours every tuesday and thursday and has a google community where people critique eachother, when it comes to understanding light and form she's really good at teaching it.

I'd highly reccomend doing daily form studies https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UydvG6Kf...tml5=False she has a tutorial on them here and here's an example of them http://img06.deviantart.net/9e9c/i/2015/...8pjiln.jpg and one of mine http://triggerpigking.deviantart.com/art...-535495040
The good thing about form studies is you can really just focus on the light, form and value and not worry about anything else, it's a ton of fun as well. Sycra's value game is also a great excercise in learning value if you've seen it.

Btw if you want good ref for a western shootout, study the Sergio Leone films, that dude was a master of cinematography.

(04-13-2016, 05:41 AM)Triggerpigking Wrote: Good tutorials? i'd reccomend Istebraks youtube channel, she also hosts critique hours every tuesday and thursday and has a google community where people critique eachother, when it comes to understanding light and form she's really good at teaching it.

I'd highly reccomend doing daily form studies https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UydvG6Kf...tml5=False she has a tutorial on them here and here's an example of them http://img06.deviantart.net/9e9c/i/2015/...8pjiln.jpg and one of mine http://triggerpigking.deviantart.com/art...-535495040
The good thing about form studies is you can really just focus on the light, form and value and not worry about anything else, it's a ton of fun as well. Sycra's value game is also a great excercise in learning value if you've seen it.

Btw if you want good ref for a western shootout, study the Sergio Leone films, that dude was a master of cinematography.

Those form studies are really nice! And you're right, definitely something I should add to my daily routine. Not that I really have one to begin with, which may be my problem in general... At any rate, good advice, thank you!

And yet another WIP. All I do is start and never finish! Giving up all the time is how you get success, right?

Are her eyes too high? I can't figure out what's off.

Painting study I started last night. This was probably an hour and a half, maybe more? Surely doesn't show! Will update later.

(04-14-2016, 10:58 AM)newl Wrote: And yet another WIP. All I do is start and never finish! Giving up all the time is how you get success, right?

Are her eyes too high? I can't figure out what's off.

Update to this one; still can't figure out what's off with that face...

I see you are prepared for the terries. Remember to draxx'em sklounst, dude.
Jokes aside, nice stuff you got there o/

Art is tough, but no art is worse D: