Is this all a big joke? (stir crazy)
Hi Fedodika,
You are young. It is always good to question things when you are young. Rest assured that there is a creative industry in existence, and that there are MANY people employed in said industry. If you don't believe me, then check out the credits on any effects movie released in the last six months( and that just covers film-related jobs).
To answer your other major question; no one will care when you reach a professional level, except you, because it will mean you can do what you love for a living. No one celebrates when a carpenter or a stone mason becomes a professional, so why should an artist/designer/creative be any different?
This brings up something else about working in your desired field: mainly that it is WORK. It is not some kind of fairy-tale existence. You will be required to perform on demand and in a certain amount of time; like any other job. The difference will be that you LOVE doing what you are being paid to do, and you will be good at it.
Draw because you love it, not because you are trying to see what you MIGHT get out of it in the future. The passion you have for it will show through and allow you to get work as you get better. To use the carpenter analogy again: nobody builds shitty cabinets and bookshelves in the hopes of being a famous woodworker someday. They hone their craft on smaller more practical projects, while learning from more experienced professionals, until they are at a level where complex projects can be accomplished professionally. The difference is that their love of the work fuels their perseverance to become a true professional.
Basically, the main thing I'm trying to say is that: if you don't love what you are doing now, you won't love it when/if you are "successful". Having a social life won't fix things either way( but you should try to get out and talk to people for your own sanity's sake). Go to life drawing classes at your local art student's league/art school, or to local plein air meets or drawing jams, to work on being more social.
Based on your sketchbook here, I would say you need to spend more time working on very carefully observed drawings of things in real life. By that I mean using a pencil and paper and observing and drawing things in actual reality, not some goolge searched images. It will do wonders for your draftsmanship and observational abilities, which will in turn help your imaginative stuff.
Don't feel disheartened, there are plenty of jobs for creative professionals. Use this time to get better, but don't just count hours. Consider the quality of your studies and whether you truly love what it is you want to do for a living. Hope this helps in some way.

J

-Sketchbook-
"... for drawing is a thinking person's art." - Walt Stanchfield.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is this all a big joke? (stir crazy) - by LVK - 09-16-2014, 11:32 AM
RE: Is this all a big joke? (stir crazy) - by JavierP - 09-17-2014, 09:37 AM