Fantasy landscape
Final outcome if you havent seen it: http://xavierward.deviantart.com/art/San...-524762450

Thanks guys!
Amit, definitely agree with you on the overcrowded feel of it. I think i didnt do enough larger shapes transitioning between levels as you pointed out, and just went a bit detail crazy which takes away from the serene feel of it a bit for sure, great point. Next time I'm gonna do some really thought out thumbnails first (as I always forget to do.... sigh) and block it in with big shapes and go to little shapes from there. I often catch myself doing block layer by layer which gives a kind of 'cut out' feel to it which I need to work on, great piece there by the way I see what you mean about the focal point! This piece actually kinda sprung from that water nymph painting which I was working on before, loved the red/blue palette so thought I'd work on the environment rather than going for the portrait angle. Still need to work on figures, thats next up, thanks for the crit!

Minksy, thanks very much FZD should be awesome but a hell of a lot of hard work! preparing my brain for it.... Ah got you about the red on the left, that was intended to be on the same cliff/outcrop as the waterfall as you said but I should have shown that better if there is confusion, thanks for pointing that out. Goes back to really hammering in my values early on which I need to improve on rather than improvising throughout, thanks for pointing that out!

Cheers guys, think I'll leave it to rest on this piece but some very good points made which I'll keep in mind for the next one for sure.

Xavier

Train, gain, or stay the same.
Deviantart
Sketchberk

Messages In This Thread
Fantasy landscape - by Wardy - 04-04-2015, 02:58 AM
RE: Fantasy landscape - by darktiste - 04-04-2015, 04:53 AM
RE: Fantasy landscape - by Wardy - 04-04-2015, 05:25 AM
RE: Fantasy landscape - by Amit Dutta - 04-04-2015, 05:13 PM
RE: Fantasy landscape - by Minksy - 04-06-2015, 02:12 AM
RE: Fantasy landscape - by Wardy - 04-06-2015, 09:49 AM