How you tackling learning?
That article you linked is actually entirely how I feel about the subject. And that "urgency" thing is something that's overwhelmingly advertised in those last 5 years or so. That's why I addressed it through the most of my post, because people stick to that mantra. I know I did.

About being puzzled. Well, I think a lot of it actually has to do with what I pointed out in the first part of my post. That "first hurdle". It's hard NOT to be puzzled when you are surrounded with EVERYTHING and going "well... what do I do now lol".

As for some concrete thoughts about the approach and schedule... I think you should setup smaller goals within your big goal (biggest being, I would assume, "become a good artist" or something like that). and then smaller goals within those. And you will get to your weeks and days and even hours.

Also, yes, we should be eclectic and be knowledgeable and versatile and versed in all of that - but not to the same extent in every category. Some of us can completely disregard some categories, even. Try to emphasize on what you wish to learn and put more resources into that. So, if you want to be a character designer mainly, do anatomy, gestures, build a clothes visual library etc. But at the same time don't neglect other stuff. If you want to be a full "all round" guy, then simply tackle it all, but don't push yourself, because an all-round dude will get there slower. But when he gets there, he'll be awesome, because he will be able to paint anything on a satisfying level. I don't think Artgerm or Hyung Tae Kim could do fantastically well with a medieval castle on a hilly landscape:)

I don't think you need to do everything every day. I do think, however, that a month of "something" is too much. In my opinion, you might have themed weeks. But there are some things that I think one should do every day. For example croquis, I would do them every day, no questions asked. People, cars, clouds, doors, everything. Every day. I do think that's the common denominator of everything we do and that it's a must and a backbone of every artist's arsenal.
That said, I think the rest of the day might be themed, like "today I do thumbnails of people" or "today I do studies of animals" or "today I do perspective" etc. But I would sort that out according to what I want to do the most. In my case, that's anatomy. In your case, I don't know:)

Keep calm and get in the robot

My sketchbook

Messages In This Thread
How you tackling learning? - by Zearthus - 07-17-2015, 08:13 AM
RE: How you tackling learning? - by modblot - 07-17-2015, 08:47 AM
RE: How you tackling learning? - by Doolio - 07-17-2015, 12:35 PM
RE: How you tackling learning? - by Doolio - 07-17-2015, 12:39 PM
RE: How you tackling learning? - by Adam Lina - 07-17-2015, 12:43 PM
RE: How you tackling learning? - by Zearthus - 07-17-2015, 12:44 PM
RE: How you tackling learning? - by Doolio - 07-17-2015, 01:01 PM
RE: How you tackling learning? - by Rana_E - 07-17-2015, 10:57 PM
RE: How you tackling learning? - by Adam Lina - 07-17-2015, 11:23 PM