John's Thread (Used to be super active! Still the longest thread name ever in CD)
Continuing onto the Josie and the Pussycats print process:

What to do when I'm stuck: Like most of any modern video game story mode, load the last checkpoint! Nothing sophisticated. I usually divide my save states into three stages: 1) Sketching and line art; 2) Coloring; 3) and Polishing. Sometimes more if I divert a lot.

"Proj-J Sketch Lineart" is self explanatory. "Proj-J" would be the coloring stage where I just left off from the last entry. Ver2 is where I diverted from the original process, which eventually became the finished coloring stage. Ver3 is the polishing stage.

After every iteration, I merge the all the layers that I'm likely to not screw around any further. It clears hard drive space, saves a lot faster, and causes my PC not to lag or choke harder than it should.

Moving on. I decided to load the Lineart PSD and start from there again. This time, rather than fast tracking myself into rendering, I make a sharp turn to the right! I plan the whole coloring process by putting color placeholders. See how the colors would relate to each other in broad strokes. It doesn't have to be perfect. It doesn't need to be colored within the lines. Zoom out and look at the big picture.

Add to that, as Anton_Fort pointed out earlier, it's always a good idea to check the piece's B/W value relationship.

(Side note: this is the proofing colors to grayscale tutorial by Thomas Scholes: http://www.artofscholes.com/checkingvalues/)

I introduced another light source (warm incandescent light) above the redhead's character. It was difficult for me to make sense of the lighting setup. So I extended my canvas and painted that light source in!

Next entry: a lot of coloring, a lot of changes, and more of the digital painting equivalent of face plants!

If you are reading this, I most likely just gave you a crappy crit! What I'm basically trying to say is, don't give up!  
----
IG: @thatpuddinhead

Messages In This Thread
RE: John's Thread (Do not coddle and punch him right in the goolies.) - by John - 11-13-2016, 02:37 PM