How to perspective like a pro
ooo cool, I've not seen draw a box before, I agree with what he says about taking the energy out of a drawing. I'll usually vary the amount of construction I do depending on the purpose of the drawing though. if I was sketching or doing something more illustrative I'd use very little construction, I pretty much always set up the perspective space like in the first video though. it'll only take a few seconds and if you got something looking a bit funky  while you are drawing you can diagnose it and get it all patched up in no time.

if I was trying to be precise though, say if I was designing a plane that would be sent away to be modelled (ficticious situation, I've never done anywork for a client) the lack of energy in the picture wouldn't matter too much and you could strive for a little more accuracy with excessive construction (if you're using paths though it really isn't that much more work though, time wise and energy wise). I'd approach that kind of drawing more like putting together and airfix model, I'd have all the parts ready, orographic views, cross sections, V.P.s and just methodically piece it together on the canvas 

the only thing I can think of for drawing a perfect square (other than it introducing measuring points) is for drawing accurate ellipses. if you are gonna draw a circle in perspective, it's bounding box MUST be a perfect square, otherwise you just have an oval.

In the next video (episode 3) i'm gonna go through using this setup to improve your freehand accuracy, which will include a little warmup exercise drawing freehand boxes but also gives you the ability to quickly and easily check the accuracy of your estimations... such as, do I keep over or underestimating the convergence of my vanishing line or are my estimations for vanishing point pairs too closed together or too far apart. I think having a tool that allows you to analyse any mistakes will help you improve quickly (Like at the front of H2D when he's talking about drawing straight lines and paying attention to whether you habitually bow up or bow down). even if you ultimately decide this construction isn't for you I hope you'll get something practical and useful from this bit

I've seen perspective for comic book artists recommended in various places, i'll try and pick up a copy next time a have a few spare pence. thanks man

SB

Messages In This Thread
How to perspective like a pro - by Joe - 07-14-2016, 01:53 AM
RE: How to perspective like a pro - by Joe - 07-14-2016, 01:56 AM
RE: How to perspective like a pro - by Adam Lina - 07-14-2016, 03:09 PM
RE: How to perspective like a pro - by neopatogen - 07-14-2016, 06:07 PM
RE: How to perspective like a pro - by Joe - 07-14-2016, 06:15 PM
RE: How to perspective like a pro - by Adam Lina - 07-15-2016, 02:48 AM
RE: How to perspective like a pro - by Joe - 07-15-2016, 03:10 AM
RE: How to perspective like a pro - by Artloader - 07-15-2016, 09:18 PM
RE: How to perspective like a pro - by Joe - 07-15-2016, 11:46 PM
RE: How to perspective like a pro - by Joe - 07-20-2016, 06:34 AM