Digital rendering and brushes for beginners
I'm really confused about how to approach digital painting. I see some artists do things layer by layer, while others do a significant amount of rendering in just one layer. I know that Ill find my method over time, but I don't know how to start or what brushes to start with. 

Some of the things I've watched was Sinix's video on the best brush for beginner and paint like a sculptor. I've also watched Moderndayjames' digital painting 1-3. I wanted to start with rendering primitive shapes and slowly move up to more complex forms. I wouldn't have much of an issue doing this traditionally, but doing it digitally is extremely difficult for me. I tried to start with simple brushes (I'm using Clip Studio Paint). I'm using it's equivalent to the hard and soft round brush (dense and soft watercolor). I know that they're not bad brushes, I just think I'm using them wrong. So I started trying things at random and it feels like I'm just smearing things on the canvas. The only thing that feels ok is the airbrush and I've heard that it's not the best thing to start with. I'll include some of the things I've tried so far. I'll appreciate any advise you all can give.

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread
Digital rendering and brushes for beginners - by Tank Rat - 08-14-2020, 01:42 PM