Help me clarify my job title
Hi. I'm not sure if this is going to help, but I'll give it a try.
I was asked to review portfolio of applying artists in some of the studios I worked in. All of them were rejected unfortunately and most with the same two reasons - we couldn't see the artist in it (it looked more like a homework), and because they didn't pass the test.
Now, just a short background of what those studios were looking for. All of them were looking for a 3d artist, or a person who knows how to use tablet and has a potential to learn basics of 3d very quickly. If we see the potential in that person, we would help him learn 3d and support him to grow. We live in a small country- and there isn't many people doing this kind of work- specially 3D. Most of the artists are describing themselves as "concept artist" while all we see in their portfolios are illustrations, studies or sketches unrelated to concept. Title of concept artist should be related to person who is above everything a concept designer- a person who can develop a character, an object, anything and show that thought process on paper or tablet. Concepts don't have to be pretty or rendered or anything like that. Most of the concept art for games that you see on artstation are rendered after just to show them on portfolio- real concepts are created just enough so the client and 3d artist can understand the design.
For example- my boss would come to our concept artist/animator and say- we need a new concept for THAT- you have one hour. He is not going to think about rendering all those beautiful leather jackets and buckles and every strand of hair. He is going to think about design.
Now why am I writing all this. When we look at the portfolio- we don't look at how someone render things, we look at their thought process, about the design, about how you think and what can you contribute to the project. We don't want to see something you can see on artstation or pinterest- we want to see you, as a person, as a person who thinks- what are things you like, what inspires you, what drives you to work further. And that way we can risk and take you in, and give you a stable ground for you to grow on.
It is easier to just get an artist with experience and start working with him right away- but in our country, there isn't much people with experience- and we would rather give opportunity to someone who is working really hard.

A side story again. This is exactly how I got my first studio job. I went to one convention, brought my portfolio with me with all my best polished works and asked directly - are you looking for an artist or intern- and they said no. I asked if there is anyone who can look at my portfolio and give me some directions on what should I work on. Finally someone agreed and they looked at my work. Even though it was complete opposite of what they were working on, and even though I was doing only 2D and they needed 3D artist, they asked me if I was willing to learn 3d and gave me few months to finish my college. During that time I worked hard to finish my exams and learn some basics. They liked my progress and even though I was not ready at all to work as a 3d artist, they believed I would learn quickly when I would start working on a project. And it did happen, working on a project really boosted my learning process and I had more motivation to study and push forward.

Long story short- if you are looking at the indie job, with studio that doesn't have many employees, you have to be ready to learn new skills. Because you will have to work job for 3-4 people. Right now, in some other studio, I am working as a main character artist, I also do prop work, concept art, design and whatever is needed. Over the time I just stopped looking at myself in one direction, and more in direction of person who is going to do "art part" in the project. About job title- I still put myself as 3d artist, because I feel most comfortable in that area. My coleague who does 3d, animation and concept artist uses concept artist as a title- because he enjoys working in that area most.

I hope some of this text helped you and you can get something out of this.
Just don't be afraid, put yourself in the portfolio, don't feel pressured to look like every artstation fake portfolio, and be open to learn new things.
Good luck!

CD dA FM  MaL

Messages In This Thread
Help me clarify my job title - by darktiste - 03-26-2021, 09:25 AM
RE: Help me clarify my job title - by Who - 03-28-2021, 02:48 AM
RE: Help me clarify my job title - by darktiste - 03-28-2021, 09:14 AM
RE: Help me clarify my job title - by Who - 03-28-2021, 09:54 AM
RE: Help me clarify my job title - by darktiste - 03-28-2021, 10:50 AM
RE: Help me clarify my job title - by Who - 03-30-2021, 10:54 AM
RE: Help me clarify my job title - by darktiste - 03-30-2021, 11:17 AM
RE: Help me clarify my job title - by Who - 03-30-2021, 01:35 PM
RE: Help me clarify my job title - by Zizka - 03-30-2021, 10:01 PM